Michigan Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

smdpnp

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Post by smdpnp » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 am

smdpnp wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Looking for input.

Was planning on living in LC but just found out my friend is me a place in her apt. at no cost. Everything would be covered (except food), but I'm just wondering if for 1L I'd be shooting myself in the foot by not opting to live in LC as far as potential to do well/ability to make friends/go out.

She lives a bit north of campus so it'd be a 10 minute drive each day, and I'm just not sure if for 1L i'd be better off paying for the convenience of LC. That being said, free lodging is hard to turn down.
Take the free apt. You'd be saving a ton of money, you'd have more privacy during finals period, and I'm pretty sure you can meet people outside of LC.
You can take the LC and I'll take the free place. 8)

In all seriousness, I think you'll be fine. I'm going to live in an apartment and spoke to a number of 2 and 3Ls that did that their first year. As long as you are social and meet people, you'll be fine.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm

zoidberg86 wrote:
smdpnp wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Looking for input.

Was planning on living in LC but just found out my friend is me a place in her apt. at no cost. Everything would be covered (except food), but I'm just wondering if for 1L I'd be shooting myself in the foot by not opting to live in LC as far as potential to do well/ability to make friends/go out.

She lives a bit north of campus so it'd be a 10 minute drive each day, and I'm just not sure if for 1L i'd be better off paying for the convenience of LC. That being said, free lodging is hard to turn down.
Take the free apt. You'd be saving a ton of money, you'd have more privacy during finals period, and I'm pretty sure you can meet people outside of LC.
You can take the LC and I'll take the free place. 8)

In all seriousness, I think you'll be fine. I'm going to live in an apartment and spoke to a number of 2 and 3Ls that did that their first year. As long as you are social and meet people, you'll be fine.
This is what I was hoping to hear.

LC is so damn tempting for convenience but that 8k extra is hard to justify.

Maybe I'll do LC just for 1L and then take the apartment years 2 and 3.

In any case, excited to see you all there.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Free place 10min away from the school > LC

whitedoor

New

Post by whitedoor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Summer starter! Checking in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks

gertie

New

Post by gertie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 am

testaker wrote:Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks
Yes, I sent them scholarship offeres I received from UVA and NYU and they matched it. Originally, I was not offered anything from Michigan.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 am

Are any summer starters still looking for a summer sublet?

My apartment is still available. Here are the details:

Location: University Towers, 536 South Forest (about 5 minutes walking from campus)
Two bedroom apartment, you would have your own bedroom; one shared bath
Availability: I am leaving Ann Arbor May 16, so definitely anytime after that. If you need it earlier, we can work something out. Lease is available until late August (August 25/26).
Rent: 600 OBO. You would pay for only three months and get the other half-month or so for free. The rent includes water, internet, and cable (though since I am taking my tv back, you'll need to have a tv to use it). You share electricity.
Apartment comes with air-conditioning.

Please PM me if interested. Thanks!

dinamo88

New

Post by dinamo88 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Last edited by dinamo88 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey all,

Just a reminder, Phid applications are due THIS SUNDAY. App is available here: http://phidhouse.org/apply.php

I've posted earlier some of the reasons I really love living in Phid, but let me know if you have any questions (either by PM, or email phidboard@umich.edu).

If you're concerned about the cost of food -- I wouldn't. The lawyer's club meal plan does not include breakfast or snacks or certain dinners (I think Friday & Saturday nights?) so you're still paying for some food, you're limited to eating during certain hours, etc. And I definitely do not spend $20/day on food, nor do I spend hours cooking every day either. You can get lunch for free at the law school every day, for one. Plus, Trader Joes makes lots of good frozen food. And free corner feeds me on occasion as well. The meal plan is actually one of the reasons I most wanted to live somewhere other than the lawyer's club.

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 am

What health insurance are you guys getting?

djpaa

New

Post by djpaa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:45 pm

gertie wrote:
testaker wrote:Has anyone had success with negotiating existing scholarships with Michigan? I know they say in their materials that they really don't negotiate, but someone at ASW thought that they might. Has anyone tried? Thanks
Yes, I sent them scholarship offeres I received from UVA and NYU and they matched it. Originally, I was not offered anything from Michigan.
I think the important caveat is that they only do this with students who did not originally receive any scholarship offer from Michigan. At least that is what the website states:

http://www.law.umich.edu/financialaid/P ... ofaid.aspx

hhheeeyyy

New

Post by hhheeeyyy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Any summer starters still looking for a place to live for the summer? I know a lot of places aren't offering availability through the end of your exam period, but my roommate and I are!

Available: May 15 - whenever you're done with exams/need before you can move into your place for the fall (seriously, we are flexible).

Rent: Asking for $500/room flat per month // $1500/entire house OBO (we are definitely willing to talk prices)

Details: FURNISHED 3BR/1.5BA house on a quiet, residential street. ~10 min walk to the law school. Fenced in backyard, driveway + ample street parking. In-unit washer and dryer. We'd cover utilities + internet. Quick drive to grocery store, mall, bowling alley. Sushi Town is an even shorter walk away (this is important if you like sushi). We can rent on a room by room basis, or this is an ideal home for a family or group of coordinating folks.

PM me for more info. Thanks in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EfficientJimBreech

New

Post by EfficientJimBreech » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm

(sublet found)
Last edited by EfficientJimBreech on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:27 pm

EfficientJimBreech wrote:Hi c/o 2016! I'm a 1L and am adding myself to the ever expanding list of students looking to sublet their apartment for the summer. Because it seems like the only posts in here lately have been sublet-related spam, I'm gonna apologize for perpetuating the trend.....but here's the craigslist ad.

--LinkRemoved--

Should any of yall be interested in the apartment, or have any questions about the law school experience or just the University in general, feel free to shoot me a private message. I went to Michigan for undergrad, which I have discovered is not uncommon among MLS students, so I think I can provide some well-rounded advice on U of M, Ann Arbor, and - more than anything - making the transition from being a U of M undergrad to being a U of M 1L.

Anyway, good luck, and again, let me know if any of yall are interested!
not interested in the sublet (sorry) but since you offered i am interested in an honest appraisal of what it's been like to go from UofM undergrad to michigan law

also you must truly be desperate b/c i feel like subletting a room in landmark for $500/month is, like, insane

RopeisaJoke

New

Post by RopeisaJoke » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Hello! I was a summer starter just like approximately 90 of you are going to be. And I, perhaps just like you, didn't have a place to live until I moved to Ann Arbor. In fact, I spent the first couple weeks living in a hotel down by the Trader Joe's. But why would you do something dumb like I did? Instead, you should make a plan now!

My place is awesome. I live right across the street from the School. And I mean literally right across the street from the reading room - as in you can see it from my window - as in you can be to class in less than 60 seconds - as in you can get my wireless internet at Dominick's. It's also got a parking spot. It's also got air conditioning (which you're going to want in the summer). I'm thinking about $500 a month, but I can always negotiate.

email me!
rlJolly@umich.edu

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 am

Hi,

So, I am deciding between Michigan and Duke -- and someone mentioned to pick Michigan due to the kinds/prestige of the firms that recruit at Michigan. Something to the effect of the top firms recruiting at Michigan. The school mentions this on the website also, but I wanted to get a perspective from someone who actually attends and has gone through OCI. At Duke ASW, they handed out a long list of firms that folks had gone to and Michigan has something similar posted on their website. I'm really torn between the two schools. Thoughts please.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pkeros

New

Post by pkeros » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi, another law student trying to sublet his apartment. There are three rooms in a 4-bedroom apartment available this summer. 10 minutes from the law school, 5 minutes from the bars. Available May 1-Aug 31, which is through finals. $400/month + utilities.

Craigslist ad: --LinkRemoved--

I also did my undergrad at Michigan, and I'd be happy to talk to people about my UM experience. PM me or pkeros@umich.edu.

LittleTree

New

Post by LittleTree » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:37 pm

In response to the question about michigan negotiating with those who have already received a scholarship offer, yes they will do it. Theyve done it with me and with others.
Its more fluid with them though, people say they act touchy-feely but I think its just that they dont want to play the game. They dont have a traditional sense of peer schools either - if they want you they will give you an increase that they think will convince you, but nit just randomly because you send them an offer from a similarly ranked school.
I spoke with them about my real concerns about money and why I might lean somewhere else. In the end, they came close to matching a good scholarship from a much lower ranked school, even though they had originally given me an offer they said they would not increase.
Im nothing special but I think michigan really is holistic about this stuff, theyve been very kind to me and given me much more than my numbers would get me because, I think, I was honest and showed real interest from the start. I also just really hit it off with the deans - theyre a great crowd a michigan.

Sorry for the poor typing, I'm terrible on tablets.

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:00 pm

qwertyboard wrote:What health insurance are you guys getting?
Looking into this too. Anyone trying to figure out health insurance for student + partner/husband/wife?

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:What health insurance are you guys getting?
Looking into this too. Anyone trying to figure out health insurance for student + partner/husband/wife?
Do you/would you have the option to get insurance through your SO's work? My fiancee and I are planning on this at least.

Alternatively, when I graduated into a job with no benefits, I Googled "health insurance selector" or something like that and ended up with a high-deductible Cigna plan that was relatively cheap and still paid for routine visits + prescription meds. There's definitely reasonable stuff out there so long as you're okay with the idea of paying a few grand out of pocket if break your leg.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paginalis

New

Post by paginalis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:20 am

Is anyone still looking for a summer sublet?
I'm subletting my bedroom, which is in a 2 bedroom (my roommate is awesome) in Forest Place, a 5-10 minute walk from campus. More importantly, a 2 minute walk from all that South University Ave. has to offer. Fully furnished, and I'll even leave some of my kitchen utensils and non-perishables behind, if you'd like. I'm going home where the free food is, so I'll have no use for any of that. I'm thinking around $400/month, all inclusive, but that's negotiable.
FYI, Forest Place was one of the LC replacements for my class, so everyone else in the building (my roommate included) will be either a rising 2L or someone a rising 2L is subletting to - so probably other summer starters like yourselves.

hohenheim

Bronze

Post by hohenheim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Posted this in the acceptances thread too, but has anyone seen the budget for 2013-2014? I can only find the one for last year (2012-2013) that says:

In-State $66,950
Out-of-State $69,950

Does anyone have this year's number? (and not an estimated amount, like from a COA calculator)

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 am

Here's who is currently committed to Michigan:
University of Michigan
  • • foosbol21
    • Yossarian79
You guys need to represent.

born4law

Bronze

Post by born4law » Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Checking in as an incoming summer starter. Can't wait to begin!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”