Michigan Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

Which ASW will you be attending?

March 21-23
46%
April 4-6
24%
Both (Is this an option?)
No votes
Neither
30%

Total votes: 70

Gold

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2016

Post by 04102014 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

true dat. sweet, let's plan a housing and then that 0L bar review!
I could get into this.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

I could get into this.
Yeah, sounds like an ideal Saturday afternoon / evening to me. Hopefully we won't be frozen.

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 pm

it makes me ridiculously happy to be able to post in this thread. although as someone with a full-time job, I really wish ASWs didn't start on a Thursday. . .

dsn32

Bronze

Post by dsn32 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 pm

zoidberg86 wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

I could get into this.
Yeah, sounds like an ideal Saturday afternoon / evening to me. Hopefully we won't be frozen.
It's been 70+ degrees in Ann Arbor that weekend the past three years. So it at least shouldn't be "frozen".

ramhands

New

Post by ramhands » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 am

Hi, sorry if I'm not posting on the right thread or am late/early to the game, but current student here looking to sublet a 3BR house to incoming summer starters. Can rent on room-by-room basis if need be. Five blocks from school and nestled on a quiet street. Rent is most definitely negotiable.

PM me for more details (or to redirect my post to somewhere else). Congrats to those who have been admitted and good luck to those still waiting!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Am I the only one who was content with the lawyer's club pics? It's pricey, but not having to buy any furniture, coupled with that fact that as a current Miamian I may be able to avoid walking outside to get to class on a cold day, the Lawyer's Club sounds like a solid deal. Plus, I don't want to be in the same predicament as some posters on here, practically begging someone to sublet their place for the summer.

foosbol21

Bronze

Post by foosbol21 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Am I the only one who was content with the lawyer's club pics? It's pricey, but not having to buy any furniture, coupled with that fact that as a current Miamian I may be able to avoid walking outside to get to class on a cold day, the Lawyer's Club sounds like a solid deal. Plus, I don't want to be in the same predicament as some posters on here, practically begging someone to sublet their place for the summer.
Oh I'm definitely going for the Lawyer's Club too. I liked the pics of the rooms, and the convenience factor is a major plus for 1L. Even as a current Midwesterner who isn't bothered by the cold, I think the LC is well worth the extra cost.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm

jrthor10 wrote:Am I the only one who was content with the lawyer's club pics? It's pricey, but not having to buy any furniture, coupled with that fact that as a current Miamian I may be able to avoid walking outside to get to class on a cold day, the Lawyer's Club sounds like a solid deal. Plus, I don't want to be in the same predicament as some posters on here, practically begging someone to sublet their place for the summer.
No, you are not the only one. I really liked it and it makes perfect sense for me as a 1L.

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

foosbol21 wrote:
Oh I'm definitely going for the Lawyer's Club too. I liked the pics of the rooms, and the convenience factor is a major plus for 1L. Even as a current Midwesterner who isn't bothered by the cold, I think the LC is well worth the extra cost.

I am definitely with you guys. In fact, I have already submitted my app and been guaranteed a spot! I am moving from Canada and do not want to deal with buying/ moving furniture. I am also very content to have someone cook meals for me and clean the room/ bathroom on a regular basis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
foosbol21 wrote:

I am definitely with you guys. In fact, I have already submitted my app and been guaranteed a spot! I am moving from Canada and do not want to deal with buying/ moving furniture. I am also very content to have someone cook meals for me and clean the room/ bathroom on a regular basis.
All the same for me. Minus the whole moving from Canada thing.

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:13 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
foosbol21 wrote:

+1. I was guaranteed a spot as well. This school just looks incredibly gorgeous.. just need to get over the cold aspect :).

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

I'd probably do it, but I have a furry four legged friend and he doesn't qualify as a service animal. Stupid rules. :( hopefully I can find a place close to the school though - looks like there are a lot of options!

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 pm

nothing to contribute, tag

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 pm

zoidberg86 wrote:I'd probably do it, but I have a furry four legged friend and he doesn't qualify as a service animal. Stupid rules. :( hopefully I can find a place close to the school though - looks like there are a lot of options!
my partner and I want to get a dog, so we'll most likely be finding a place close to school too :) and if that 86 in your name is the year you were born, me too!

demarco5

New

Post by demarco5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm

My phonathon conversation made me ridiculously excited about Michigan, even more than I already was. That admissions office is on the ball.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:22 am

Does anyone know if the financial aid info on the admitted students site is updated overnight (like the status checker), or could an offer suddenly pop up in the middle of the day?

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 am

curious66 wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
foosbol21 wrote:

+1. I was guaranteed a spot as well. This school just looks incredibly gorgeous.. just need to get over the cold aspect :).
Wait where are these pics??? I was looking yesterday and didn't see anything! D: I am dying to get a look at the renovations since I've already gotten my app approved!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 am

labellavita688

New

Post by labellavita688 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 am

Ooh, thanks, ohpobrecito! I am more than okay with this. Nice hardwood floors, private bath, and I'm super excited about not having to buy any appliances or move any furniture!! Send me my lease, Michigan, I'll sign it today! :D

And in answer to your question, ohpobrecito, I'm not entirely sure but I believe I saw my financial aid come up first thing in the morning.

ETA: Does anyone know if the laundry is coin-operated, or is it free? That would be nice...

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:39 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:
zoidberg86 wrote:I'd probably do it, but I have a furry four legged friend and he doesn't qualify as a service animal. Stupid rules. :( hopefully I can find a place close to the school though - looks like there are a lot of options!
my partner and I want to get a dog, so we'll most likely be finding a place close to school too :) and if that 86 in your name is the year you were born, me too!
Looks like us slightly older, dog loving people will have to have dog play dates!

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 am

zoidberg86 wrote: Looks like us slightly older, dog loving people will have to have dog play dates!
deal! we just watched the video that was on the flash drive and got super excited :) well played michigan admissions!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:47 pm

question re: ASWs
I'm not in a position where I'll be able to take any days off work, but I still want to make it to campus, preferably during one of the ASW weekends. I've been to A2 a few times, but never when students were in school. I could potentially arrive late Friday night, make it to the Saturday morning events and then have Saturday night to go out/Sunday to apt hunt. Does this sound worthwhile? Will they let me attend the Saturday stuff if I didn't go to the Thursday/Friday events? It just seems so anti-climactic to be accepted and then visit on a weekend when no other 0Ls will be there. . . . Assuming the travel costs aren't too outlandish, does it seem worth it to go for a quick Fri night - Sunday night trip? Thanks in advance for the input :)

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm

jackbauer10 wrote:question re: ASWs
I'm not in a position where I'll be able to take any days off work, but I still want to make it to campus, preferably during one of the ASW weekends. I've been to A2 a few times, but never when students were in school. I could potentially arrive late Friday night, make it to the Saturday morning events and then have Saturday night to go out/Sunday to apt hunt. Does this sound worthwhile? Will they let me attend the Saturday stuff if I didn't go to the Thursday/Friday events? It just seems so anti-climactic to be accepted and then visit on a weekend when no other 0Ls will be there. . . . Assuming the travel costs aren't too outlandish, does it seem worth it to go for a quick Fri night - Sunday night trip? Thanks in advance for the input :)
I think you should be fine. When you go to sign up for the ASWs, you'll have the option to choose the nights you want to stay...and the options are listed in a way to allow for Friday + Saturday night instead of Thus+Fri or Thus+Fri+Sat. I would assume that this means you can attend part of the festivities and skip the others. I would double check with the admissions people though and they are super friendly. Also, I don't know which weekend you're planning to go for, but I know for a fact that some of us from the April weekend are planning to stay the extra night on Saturday so there will still be 0Ls around for all of Saturday. I believe some of the March people were also going to stay on Saturday but I'm not a 100% on that.

zoidberg86

Bronze

Post by zoidberg86 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 am

VeeD101 wrote:
jackbauer10 wrote:question re: ASWs
I think you should be fine. When you go to sign up for the ASWs, you'll have the option to choose the nights you want to stay...and the options are listed in a way to allow for Friday + Saturday night instead of Thus+Fri or Thus+Fri+Sat. I would assume that this means you can attend part of the festivities and skip the others. I would double check with the admissions people though and they are super friendly. Also, I don't know which weekend you're planning to go for, but I know for a fact that some of us from the April weekend are planning to stay the extra night on Saturday so there will still be 0Ls around for all of Saturday. I believe some of the March people were also going to stay on Saturday but I'm not a 100% on that.
I think it's fine. This is from the preview FAQ:
(Even if you arrive on time, in fact, you’re welcome to attend whatever events you choose, and to arrange your time in Ann Arbor in the way that best suits you.) If you arrive after 3:30 and before 8PM on Thursday, you should keep an eagle eye out for a member of the Admissions Office staff so we can provide you with the necessary registration materials as soon as possible. If you arrive later than that on Thursday evening or any time on Friday, just go to the Admissions Office (second floor, South Hall) to register any time after 8AM on Friday.
And there will be people from the March group staying until Sunday as well!

jackbauer10

Bronze

Post by jackbauer10 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Good deal. I'm definitely going to try to make this work. Thanks! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”