Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
broadstreet11

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by broadstreet11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Checking in! So who's making plans for ASW (during the week haha)? Are y'all staying in a hotel?

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm

No idea as of yet. I know two people going to school at Columbia right now, but I haven't seen either in a while... it might be pretty rude of me to ask to crash haha. I'll figure something out though, there's no way I'd miss it! :) And congrats, by the way, truly!

What days are ASW, exactly, if I can ask? Was that info in the RD admit packet?

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm

J90 wrote:No idea as of yet. I know two people going to school at Columbia right now, but I haven't seen either in a while... it might be pretty rude of me to ask to crash haha. I'll figure something out though, there's no way I'd miss it! :) And congrats, by the way, truly!

Thanks! And March 6-7 and April 3-4. So not really a weekend...all of the schedules and details are on the admitted students' website.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:
J90 wrote:No idea as of yet. I know two people going to school at Columbia right now, but I haven't seen either in a while... it might be pretty rude of me to ask to crash haha. I'll figure something out though, there's no way I'd miss it! :) And congrats, by the way, truly!

Thanks! And March 6-7 and April 3-4. So not really a weekend...all of the schedules and details are on the admitted students' website.
Awesome, thanks so much.

I got in via ED in December, so all I have is a one-page PDF file telling me I've been accepted - no materials or PIN for the admitted students' website yet. Kind hoping that comes sometime next week.

Are you thinking of going to the first or the second weekend?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Crashing on a very kind friend's couch for the week :P

Also, because I'm really stressing over this (because my acceptance to Columbia left vacant my constant need for stress), what offer would it take to sway you from Columbia? CLS is my absolute dream school, and the only school I would consider at sticker, but that's still a lot of money, and as stupid as it sounds, I'm afraid that I'll get a solid scholly from a lower-ranked school that would be a less ideal place to go to law school but would be too generous to pass up. Anyone? Sounds stupid, but I'm just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joedf

Bronze

Post by joedf » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

This is coming from someone for whom CLS is a dream school. I applied ED.

If I got $20-30k plus from NYU, I'd consider that. If I got $50-60k+ from Penn, I'd give it hard, honest thought... I don't know what I'd do there haha. It'd take slightly more than that to sway me at Boalt/UVA/Duke, and close to full from Northwestern/etc. The reasoning's that the low end of the T14 will not likely get me where I want to go baring perhaps top 5-10% class ranking, which I can't count on, so that's out for the most part.

I'm biased toward the east coast schools, despite having grown up in CA, because I want to practice in DC someday or work a solid federal gov. job.

Just my own thoughts! I still don't know if I made the right choice with ED, but with 172/3.69 I figured I'd probably pay sticker at NYU if I got in anyway. I'll never know about UVA, Boalt wouldn't have given much if any (low GPA plus not particularly competitive stats on my end...), and I'm not sure Penn would've given any merit aid, either. Hope that makes sense somewhat.

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm worried about money too, especially since I applied ED. It was definitely something that made me very hesitant when I was deciding whether to apply early. That being said, CLS is also one of the very few schools I'd be willing to pay sticker for. But yeah I can imagine how hard it'd be to turn down a half/full ride from a lower ranked school (although that's a very good problem to have :) ).

On a happier note, I'm really excited about getting in and looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm

Sampaguita21 wrote:I'm worried about money too, especially since I applied ED. It was definitely something that made me very hesitant when I was deciding whether to apply early. That being said, CLS is also one of the very few schools I'd be willing to pay sticker for. But yeah I can imagine how hard it'd be to turn down a half/full ride from a lower ranked school (although that's a very good problem to have :) ).

On a happier note, I'm really excited about getting in and looking forward to meeting everyone soon!
Yeah! Since I'm ED as well, I may wait until I have the packet to decide the ASW I'd be attending, but (hopefully) CLS'll sponsor some of the costs.

I know UVA puts up $400 or so to cover flight and lodging expenses.

On the scholarship thing - that's a tough one... it starts getting tricky with UVA and Penn, since I love both those schools, and scholarships at CCN are pretty hard to come by. I'd guess 50-75k from those two but it'd depend on what you wanted to do with your degree. If you're looking at most Big Law practice groups CLS is pretty hard to match - I know a girl who got a V50 firm job after finishing a little under the 25th percentile in her class 1L year. Sure, it's just one case, but she didn't have crazy connections or anything and that's pretty impressive. On the flip side, full tuition + COL at Columbia can be $20k+ more than some other T14 schools at sticker.

bobr

New

Post by bobr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 pm

J90 wrote:
Sampaguita21 wrote:I'm worried about money too, especially since I applied ED. It was definitely something that made me very hesitant when I was deciding whether to apply early. That being said, CLS is also one of the very few schools I'd be willing to pay sticker for. But yeah I can imagine how hard it'd be to turn down a half/full ride from a lower ranked school (although that's a very good problem to have :) ).

Yeah! Since I'm ED as well, I may wait until I have the packet to decide the ASW I'd be attending, but (hopefully) CLS'll sponsor some of the costs.

I know UVA puts up $400 or so to cover flight and lodging expenses.

On the scholarship thing - that's a tough one... it starts getting tricky with UVA and Penn, since I love both those schools, and scholarships at CCN are pretty hard to come by. I'd guess 50-75k from those two but it'd depend on what you wanted to do with your degree. If you're looking at most Big Law practice groups CLS is pretty hard to match - I know a girl who got a V50 firm job after finishing a little under the 25th percentile in her class 1L year. Sure, it's just one case, but she didn't have crazy connections or anything and that's pretty impressive. On the flip side, full tuition + COL at Columbia can be $20k+ more than some other T14 schools at sticker.
Believe the reimbursement is up to 250 based on travel distances. Hope that helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mm3456

New

Post by mm3456 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Got my letter today! Going to the March ASW(ed/Thu)

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Fellow ED admits: I got my admitted students package today (it was sent to my parents' house out on LI). It has my username and PIN number to the admitted students website, as well as the Admitted Students handbook and some other information on financial aid and putting down a deposit, etc. So glad to finally hear from CLS after almost two months of complete silence!

gabriella97

New

Post by gabriella97 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Sampaguita21 wrote:Fellow ED admits: I got my admitted students package today (it was sent to my parents' house out on LI). It has my username and PIN number to the admitted students website, as well as the Admitted Students handbook and some other information on financial aid and putting down a deposit, etc. So glad to finally hear from CLS after almost two months of complete silence!
When was it postmarked? Do you think a Bostonian has a chance to receive that today as well? :)

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 pm

gabriella97 wrote:
Sampaguita21 wrote:Fellow ED admits: I got my admitted students package today (it was sent to my parents' house out on LI). It has my username and PIN number to the admitted students website, as well as the Admitted Students handbook and some other information on financial aid and putting down a deposit, etc. So glad to finally hear from CLS after almost two months of complete silence!
When was it postmarked? Do you think a Bostonian has a chance to receive that today as well? :)
Not sure when it was postmarked, because my mom called me to tell me that she got it this morning. I think it usually takes at most a day or two for mail to get from Manhattan to where they live on Long Island, so it was probably sent out yesterday.

I'm sure you'll get it really soon! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Sampaguita21 wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:
Not sure when it was postmarked, because my mom called me to tell me that she got it this morning. I think it usually takes at most a day or two for mail to get from Manhattan to where they live on Long Island, so it was probably sent out yesterday.

Ahhhhh!

Haha please, please deliver to LA before this weekend... it's prob not gonna happen, but this is great news that it's coming out. Thanks for the update, Sampaguita (can I shorten that in some way? Haha Sampa?)!

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

J90 wrote:
Sampaguita21 wrote:
gabriella97 wrote:

Ahhhhh!

Haha please, please deliver to LA before this weekend... it's prob not gonna happen, but this is great news that it's coming out. Thanks for the update, Sampaguita (can I shorten that in some way? Haha Sampa?)!
Haha feel free to call me Sampa! My real name also only has 2 syllables. :D

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Brilliant, Sampa, will do.

Work finishes up in another hour and a half... hoping that packet's arrived, and if not, I'll check it out sometime next week with a little luck!

Elahrairah

New

Post by Elahrairah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Congrats to all the RD admits!
Do we have a Facebook group going yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Elahrairah wrote:Congrats to all the RD admits!
don't think so. u should make it.

Elahrairah

New

Post by Elahrairah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

helix23 wrote:
lol, apparently in order to make a group you have to add at least one Facebook friend to it. So far I know no one else who is going to CLS. :P

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 am

Elahrairah wrote:
helix23 wrote:
lol, apparently in order to make a group you have to add at least one Facebook friend to it. So far I know no one else who is going to CLS. :P
Haha damn, I never knew that either. If you really want to set one up, PM me and I'll pass along my name for Facebook purposes.

Could any RD admits do me a huge favor, though?

Would you be able/willing to post or PM me the schedule for the Admitted Students' Weekend? I won't receive the admit packet with the login info until next week, but I want to try and see if I can get a flight deal this weekend. Knowing the full schedule'd help me figure out when I should fly in and what kind of departure time I'd be looking at. It'd mean a lot!

Elahrairah

New

Post by Elahrairah » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:38 am

J90 wrote:
Elahrairah wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Haha damn, I never knew that either. If you really want to set one up, PM me and I'll pass along my name for Facebook purposes.

Could any RD admits do me a huge favor, though?

Would you be able/willing to post or PM me the schedule for the Admitted Students' Weekend? I won't receive the admit packet with the login info until next week, but I want to try and see if I can get a flight deal this weekend. Knowing the full schedule'd help me figure out when I should fly in and what kind of departure time I'd be looking at. It'd mean a lot!
PM'd.

And +1 on the ASW information.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobr

New

Post by bobr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:57 pm

And +1 on the ASW information.[/quote]

Sent to both of you. Can't wait for March's ASW!

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks! Looks like I'll be headed to the March ASW so far - I'll see a few of you there with a little luck!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Just booked my flight for the March ASW!

Someone hit me up with the FB deets.

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 pm

checking in! anyone know whether there are any differences between the march and april ASWs?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”