Berkeley Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
twinkletoes16

Silver

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:38 pm

californiabeauar wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:As a bonus, there's been rumors that Berkeley did exceptionally well this year with BigLaw placement...woo! :D :D :D
Really?? Hope this is true! I have some Boalt buddies and they've suggested otherwise, but anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Someone posted on here that they work with the magazine that deals with biglaw data and that berk cleaned up. Could be some BS but guess we'll see. Berk, outside of Stanford, is still best for Cali placement. Right?

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Sorry for the multiple-thread posting, was told to ask this here...

Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 am

testaker wrote:Sorry for the multiple-thread posting, was told to ask this here...

Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.
I doubt it, but as an admit, I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to just call or email and ask. Especially with the explanation you provide, I think your request sounds very reasonable -- wanting to get to know the area better and show your boyfriend around seems like it would work to the school's benefit!

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 am

What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 am

Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dnptan

Bronze

Post by dnptan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am

cwid1391 wrote:What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?
Couchsurfing :)

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

voytek wrote:Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!
So what's the process with boalt? Do they give you an initial offer or if you have something you want them to match should you submit it immediately? I just got in yesterday so haven't received any of this info yet.

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

dnptan wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?
Couchsurfing :)
I've actually never couchsurfed, but I've heard people talk about it. I just registered and now I'm super excited.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 pm

risa wrote:
voytek wrote:Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!
So what's the process with boalt? Do they give you an initial offer or if you have something you want them to match should you submit it immediately? I just got in yesterday so haven't received any of this info yet.
First, congrats! Second, I'm not really sure. I don't know of anybody who has gotten a scholarship offer this cycle yet, but I think that you have to apply to have something from another school matched.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:31 pm

voytek wrote:
risa wrote:
First, congrats! Second, I'm not really sure. I don't know of anybody who has gotten a scholarship offer this cycle yet, but I think that you have to apply to have something from another school matched.
Thanks! I found the financial aid form on their website that I need to complete, but it says to wait until you have your student ID #, which I do not yet. I got the impression that form is just for need-based, though, and while I feel like I have financial need the results I've gotten from other schools so far tell me I don't!

Does your student ID # arrive in the packet they mail? Dean Tom said it would be mailed out next week or so.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 pm

They'll email you with instructions on how to set up your calnet ID and a pin number.

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 am

Have others already submitted matching scholarship applications? I got in awhile ago but haven't yet, because I thought/hoped I was waiting to see if Berkeley threw me some $ on their own. But is the conventional wisdom to just submit matching apps now?

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am

testaker wrote:Have others already submitted matching scholarship applications? I got in awhile ago but haven't yet, because I thought/hoped I was waiting to see if Berkeley threw me some $ on their own. But is the conventional wisdom to just submit matching apps now?
I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is, but I submitted my matching app in January, before they even begun accepting them. Haven't heard anything yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pinballwiz24

New

Post by pinballwiz24 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?

Aloyicious

New

Post by Aloyicious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

pinballwiz24 wrote:I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?

I don't know about bussing from SF to Berkeley (I would guess that takes like an hour and a half), but depending on where the hostel is you could easily take BART from the city to Berkeley. It's a bit pricey but not terrible. However, BART from Convention Center to Berkeley is maybe 30 minutes, just as an FYI. It's a fair amount of commuting but you will actually get to take in the sites of the city.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

pinballwiz24 wrote:I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?
(a) hit up some frat(sorority?) houses and see if anyone's got an extra room to spare/let you crash on their couch for a much smaller fee ... and you'd get some added "fun" activities out of it. When I was there, it was fairly common.
(b) BART is where it's at

arrggg

Bronze

Post by arrggg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Bring a sleeping bag and just stay in people's park.

But in all seriousness manoftheminute's suggestion is not a bad idea.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?

Berk has been my dream forever and ever and I am literally JUST waiting to hear if I get money. if I get any, I'll be committing ASAP.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?

Berk has been my dream forever and ever and I am literally JUST waiting to hear if I get money. if I get any, I'll be committing ASAP.
Still nothing here. :evil: I'm starting to think about emailing them soon to let them know I'm still interested but I have scholarship deadlines coming up!

Also, twinkle you're sitting at 1337 posts right now so... might want to just hang out there.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 pm

voytek wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?

Still nothing here. :evil: I'm starting to think about emailing them soon to let them know I'm still interested but I have scholarship deadlines coming up!

Also, twinkle you're sitting at 1337 posts right now so... might want to just hang out there.

ah, damnit. i was 1337 for so little time, too.

From what I remember, I think it all came out last year RIGHT before ASW. I can wait a while, but my wait should hopefully be worth it. I didn't even submit that high of a matching scholly offer.

were people notified of dean schollys when accepted? i heard nothing.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

everyone just chill lol. most matching offers are made between march 15 and may 1, with the majority of those going out in early April.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?
Same. Freaked out when I saw the subject line because I thought they were getting back to me on the matching scholarship

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?
I got this too. I am very PI-focused, but very white.

coriander

New

Post by coriander » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

voytek wrote:
Same. Freaked out when I saw the subject line because I thought they were getting back to me on the matching scholarship

+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”