Berkeley Law Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)

New

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Post by 20130804 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

CL; looking slightly farther away from campus (hills, rock ridge/temescal/Oakland area).

1100 a month just seems so high for one person, but idk. I think my 1L year I would do best living alone, and then once out of the woods so to speak could live with others. At the same time though, I would like to live in the same place for three years. I've moved more times the past few years than most do in a lifetime.
That's what I did. Totally happy with my apartment.
Mind sharing when you started looking?

bosmer88

Bronze

Post by bosmer88 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 pm

naboma wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

CL; looking slightly farther away from campus (hills, rock ridge/temescal/Oakland area).

1100 a month just seems so high for one person, but idk. I think my 1L year I would do best living alone, and then once out of the woods so to speak could live with others. At the same time though, I would like to live in the same place for three years. I've moved more times the past few years than most do in a lifetime.
That's what I did. Totally happy with my apartment.
Mind sharing when you started looking?
Just for context, I moved to the area for work a couple years back and started looking for places in late July. I set up a couple viewings and found an apartment two days later. I turned in my paperwork and moved in by the end of the week. This was an extremely quick turnaround. I found that the rental process is pretty quick in the Bay Area, but then apartments also get snatched up pretty quickly too. I am happy with my apartment and the management. I do stress that I wasn't going to school at that time, so don't start searching for housing in July like me. :wink: I'd start in May/June just to give yourself the time to really look around and do your research on neighborhoods that would be a fit for you.

If any of you are considering living in Oakland, Twinkletoes mentioned Rockridge (it is nice, but can be busy/parking can be hard) and Temescal as possible places. I think these two areas are fine. I'd also suggest the Grand Lake Area as well. It isn't a long commute form Berkeley, is close to a lot of restaurants/shops/store, and has the Farmer's Market (cheap veggies/fruits!). You would have to be okay with not being in walking distance of the school/relying on public transportation/shelling out money for a parking pass, but then living close to the law school (or in Berkeley) isn't a high priority for me.

jrfreed

New

Post by jrfreed » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi all- any updates as to those matching scholarship decisions? I haven't received any word yet...

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:38 pm

jrfreed wrote:Hi all- any updates as to those matching scholarship decisions? I haven't received any word yet...

sounds like only URMs have received decisions yet.

i honestly want a matching scholarship so, so SO BAD. Like will probably collapse to the floor dramatically and sob if I don't get it. Didn't even ask for that much.

jrfreed

New

Post by jrfreed » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Got it- thanks for the update. I really hope it works out for you, and that the crying on floor plan won't be needed :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Omnivalc

New

Post by Omnivalc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 am

Is $$$ happening tomorrow?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 am

Omnivalc wrote:Is $$$ happening tomorrow?

I doubt it. I think it would be Friday at the earliest- last year was realllly late.

It also sounds like almost no one gets matching scholarships, but maybe TLS isn't a good sample or just being pessimistic. They were talking about it in the other thread but I agree- I just don't see how that many students would be willing to pay sticker price. I've thought about it and am still toying with it but it seems so, so dangerous. It's the most expensive school in the country for out of state in a high CoL area. :?

Ling520

New

Post by Ling520 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:44 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
Omnivalc wrote:Is $$$ happening tomorrow?

I doubt it. I think it would be Friday at the earliest- last year was realllly late.

It also sounds like almost no one gets matching scholarships, but maybe TLS isn't a good sample or just being pessimistic. They were talking about it in the other thread but I agree- I just don't see how that many students would be willing to pay sticker price. I've thought about it and am still toying with it but it seems so, so dangerous. It's the most expensive school in the country for out of state in a high CoL area. :?
I received a matching scholarship on the 23rd; others probably received $ as well, even if they aren't posting about it on here.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Received my award today... Not what I was hoping for but better than nothing

ETA: I think what I got might be need based aid, not matching.
Last edited by voytek on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:58 pm

checking out, just withdrew. eat some in-n-out for me guys and stay in touch

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 am

people do receive matching scholarships more often than the recent dialogue has been letting on, but I think its more rare to get all the money you asked for. and they will never match a full ride or near-full ride.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:people do receive matching scholarships more often than the recent dialogue has been letting on, but I think its more rare to get all the money you asked for. and they will never match a full ride or near-full ride.

Are you alluding to getting one? What is this insider knowledge? :lol: I'm hoping, hoping, hoping over here. My reasons for wanting to attend Boalt are sincere and mean a significant amount to my professional and personal life. I'm also not above begging at ASW if I get turned down for money beforehand.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

That awkward moment when Berkeley sends you an email, along with all of it's other LGBT prospective students, and they did not BCC the email addresses.... four months after you withdrew.

I think they're trying to pull a NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t0wlie

New

Post by t0wlie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi guys! I am a somewhat recently admitted student to Berkeley Law! Excited for Admitted students weekend! I am wondering, how do I get an invite to the facebook group? It is closed!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm

t0wlie wrote:Hi guys! I am a somewhat recently admitted student to Berkeley Law! Excited for Admitted students weekend! I am wondering, how do I get an invite to the facebook group? It is closed!
I think you join it and the admin of the group approves

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 am

Ready to get my a$w on

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 am

helix23 wrote:Ready to get my a$w on
Awwww yeah

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:20 am

So the response deadline is next week Monday and I don't think I received any financial aid letter.
Is the gift aid listed on MyFinAid website the scholarship money that they're offering?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 pm

jychun412 wrote:So the response deadline is next week Monday and I don't think I received any financial aid letter.
Is the gift aid listed on MyFinAid website the scholarship money that they're offering?
What is listed as gift aid on MyFinAid might not include your matching scholarship (if you applied for one). You should be notified of that separately.

Also, if you need more time, you can tentatively accept on Monday and still withdraw by the June deadline.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:47 pm

helix23 wrote:
jychun412 wrote:So the response deadline is next week Monday and I don't think I received any financial aid letter.
What is listed as gift aid on MyFinAid might not include your matching scholarship (if you applied for one). You should be notified of that separately.

Also, if you need more time, you can tentatively accept on Monday and still withdraw by the June deadline.
Oh okay. I didn't apply for matching so I guess that'll be all.
I'll be withdrawing then. Thank you for the info :)

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Graduating 3L here. For those of you who are interested, Boalt is crushing it in clerkship placement this year.

Hope you enjoy your three years at UCB! I've loved my time here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coriander

New

Post by coriander » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Graduating 3L here. For those of you who are interested, Boalt is crushing it in clerkship placement this year.

That's nice to hear. Thank you!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Graduating 3L here. For those of you who are interested, Boalt is crushing it in clerkship placement this year.

That's what I heard too. I think we also did really well in DOJ placements.

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 am

Here's who is currently committed to NYU:
THAT'S RIGHT. NOBODY. You guys are the only T14 with zero participation. I encourage you to correct that.

jrfreed

New

Post by jrfreed » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:people do receive matching scholarships more often than the recent dialogue has been letting on, but I think its more rare to get all the money you asked for. and they will never match a full ride or near-full ride.

Are you alluding to getting one? What is this insider knowledge? :lol: I'm hoping, hoping, hoping over here. My reasons for wanting to attend Boalt are sincere and mean a significant amount to my professional and personal life. I'm also not above begging at ASW if I get turned down for money beforehand.
I received the mass e-mail concerning "scholarship updates." After having submitted my offer in late Feb., I never received a personal decision from Berkeley (either yay or nay) on my matching offer, which I'm not too happy about. I would definitely understand if it was a "no," but the lack of any notification while my deadlines for other schools rolled over rubbed me the wrong way. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Enough of my mild bitterness. Regardless, I'll be attending, and I look forward to meeting y'all in August!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”