UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Xaintes

New

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Xaintes » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Congrats to those coming next Fall!

I'm a 1L right now - love it :) Just throwing this out there for anyone already set on coming: going to be renting out our very large basement in a house next year about a mile from school off Barracks. Bedroom, living area, own bathroom, shared kitchen. PM me if you're interested.

Once again, congratulations!!!!

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Got mine yesterday as well. Anyone get any $$$? None for me.
I don't think UVA is in the habit of just giving away money to their students, but I could be wrong. :lol:

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Got mine yesterday as well. Anyone get any $$$? None for me.
I don't think UVA is in the habit of just giving away money to their students, but I could be wrong. :lol:
Hey! We all would habe loved a $100 bill in the envelope. "Congrats! Here's $100, go have a good time."

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Are we there yet?

ETA: Ok, so to make this post more meaningful, is anyone thinking about housing? I'm wondering if, given the fact that I have decided to keep my car, I can save a few bucks by living somewhere within a 15 minute drive, or if I'm better off living right by the school. And roommates? What do people do to find them? Craigslist? Or is housing cheap enough that people generally live on their own?

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Are we there yet?

ETA: Ok, so to make this post more meaningful, is anyone thinking about housing? I'm wondering if, given the fact that I have decided to keep my car, I can save a few bucks by living somewhere within a 15 minute drive, or if I'm better off living right by the school. And roommates? What do people do to find them? Craigslist? Or is housing cheap enough that people generally live on their own?
I've heard it's best to be as close to the school as you can. Apparently a 15 minute drive is equal to 15 minutes you COULD have been studying! Personally I think that's a bit over the top, but who knows. I think most people find roommates on facebook once more people start getting accepted. I still haven't decided if I want a roommate or not. I have a dog and it might just be easier to live on my own. Not sure though. Thoughts?

I'm semi starting to think about housing too. I deferred from last year so I'm already getting pretty anxious to get to C-ville. Is anyone else thinking about moving there before August?
Last edited by Hspeaksfriend on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsmeche

New

Post by lsmeche » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:

I've heard it's best to be as close to the school as you can. Apparently a 15 minute drive is equal to 15 minutes you COULD have been studying! Personally I think that's a bit over the top, but who knows. I think most people find roommates on facebook once more people start getting accepted. I still haven't decided if I want a roommate or not. I have a dog (husky) and it might just be easier to live on my own. Not sure though. Thoughts?

I'm semi starting to think about housing too. I deferred from last year so I'm already getting pretty anxious to get to C-ville. I'm actually considering moving out there early and just getting a part-time job as a waitress or something. Is anyone else thinking about moving there before August?
My current lease ends end of December, so I'll be moving up in January. Probably going the part-time job route to make ends meet before August. It'll be nice to get to know the area before that 1L schedule starts.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:22 am

I've thought about just moving there now, but I just started a job that is probably better than anything I'd find out there, so for the sake of money and resume continuity I think I'll stay put.

As for the dog, I'm sure you can find roommates who are into a dog, so I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

I was looking at the cost of attendance, and it lists 16k for living expenses, and if I understand that correctly that has to last the whole 12 months. That seems like it would be tough to have your own place on that much money if you have any other bills.

lsmeche

New

Post by lsmeche » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:01 pm

I know it is still early, but I've started looking into housing and I don't really know how to go about looking for a roommate with the exception being this forum. I do know, however, that you generally need to start booking apartments as early as January/February for the coming year, as anything decent tends to fill up pretty fast. I'm a 23 year old male looking to live in 2 bedroom apartment in Ivy Gardens (http://www.ivygarden.com/apartments_2B.htm) with a lease starting in either June, July, or August. If you're in a similar situation please feel free to drop me a PM and we can talk more in depth.

Shiraz

New

Post by Shiraz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Visiting next week. Really, really stoked - can't wait for next year!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 pm

So psyched to be joining this thread. I've been salivating over all the UVA info I've been coming across. Can't wait to see you all in Cville next year :)

2012Split177

New

Post by 2012Split177 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Sent in my application this afternoon and hoping for the best.

What have other people's experience with non-ED been - as in how long before they start getting back on applications? I'm hoping (perhaps ridiculously) to hear something before Christmas.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

sent in my ED yesterday, hoping for the best as a splitter

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Just got in today and will be attending!

Edit: I am going to be beginning the search for a roommate soon too. Is there a Facebook group as well?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsmeche

New

Post by lsmeche » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:08 pm

noobishned wrote:Just got in today and will be attending!

Edit: I am going to be beginning the search for a roommate soon too. Is there a Facebook group as well?
Congrats! I think the admissions office will create a facebook group for us once tuition deposits start coming in. At least that's what I've heard from previous incoming classes.

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm

lsmeche wrote:
noobishned wrote:Just got in today and will be attending!

Congrats! I think the admissions office will create a facebook group for us once tuition deposits start coming in. At least that's what I've heard from previous incoming classes.

Thanks and yeah I am just really excited :p!

Hellen Killer

New

Post by Hellen Killer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 am

:D
Last edited by Hellen Killer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Sweet, more admits. Congrats all! Can't wait til next year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lookingforwardtols

New

Post by lookingforwardtols » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 pm

Has anyone received a telephone call who applied regular decision?

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

lookingforwardtols wrote:Has anyone received a telephone call who applied regular decision?
I have. I applied ED somewhere else but if that doesn't come through then UVA it is.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:

I've heard it's best to be as close to the school as you can. Apparently a 15 minute drive is equal to 15 minutes you COULD have been studying! Personally I think that's a bit over the top, but who knows. I think most people find roommates on facebook once more people start getting accepted. I still haven't decided if I want a roommate or not. I have a dog and it might just be easier to live on my own. Not sure though. Thoughts?

I'm semi starting to think about housing too. I deferred from last year so I'm already getting pretty anxious to get to C-ville. Is anyone else thinking about moving there before August?
This is hilarious. People dont actually gun that hard (for the most part). I live 15 minutes away and love it. My apartment is much nicer, cheaper and you can get away from annoying law students when you want to. The only thing I will say is if you like to party and get drunk, then you want to live in IVY because 1) thats where parties are and 2) easy to split cabs from the corner and back

I will be staying where I am for all 3 years, I love it.

(If interested look over by the jefferson ridge/woodlands area. Those 2 are a little more pricey but there are other, cheaper, options in that area as well. I pay 900 (total) for a 2 bedroom 2 bath)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 pm

So happy to be checking into this thread!

Does anyone plan on visiting before ASW?

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Br3v wrote:So happy to be checking into this thread!

Does anyone plan on visiting before ASW?
I do. I live in Richmond, so I hope to go up this weekend and walk around the grounds!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Depending on the day yall accepted decide to come visit, i have a spare guest bedroom. Walking distance from school. PM if you need a place to crash when you visit.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:49 pm

chem wrote:Depending on the day yall accepted decide to come visit, i have a spare guest bedroom. Walking distance from school. PM if you need a place to crash when you visit.
Thanks Chem, might ask to take you up on that down the road.

Are most people planning on getting an apartment or house? I know the basic apartment layout around campus but I'm not sure where to look location wise for houses. Haven't decided whether I want to take the house or apt route.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”