UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
digifly

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by digifly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:As an ethnic minority, I have been met with some odd and disapproving stares. I figured I would get some of that in VA but its turning out to be a lot. Anyone else running into this as well?
Sorry to hear that. Hope it turns out to be a bad sample. Maybe they were just checking you out? :P

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:55 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:As an ethnic minority, I have been met with some odd and disapproving stares. I figured I would get some of that in VA but its turning out to be a lot. Anyone else running into this as well?
If it happened in the law school, I can assure you it's because you're one of the few people not presently running around in a suit, and so they knew you were a 1L; probably just scoping you out.

If it happened elsewhere, don't know what to say other than sorry dood. Let the LS be your refuge.

symphony07

New

Post by symphony07 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:53 am

Hi. Where is the copy center? Are they open on weekends? (some of my req course texts can only be obtained there)

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:38 am

digifly wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Hope it turns out to be a bad sample. Maybe they were just checking you out? :P
Theyve mostlt been middle-aged/elderly individuals (male and female). Some younger people have been outright rude to both me and my gf (also a minority) to the point where she felt uncomfortable and didnt want to leave my apartment. The law school was meh, the 2Ls in suits seemed ok I guess, though I did get some of those same stares in the bookstore from some fellow 1Ls. This might be a tough 3 years.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:46 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:
Theyve mostlt been middle-aged/elderly individuals (male and female). Some younger people have been outright rude to both me and my gf (also a minority) to the point where she felt uncomfortable and didnt want to leave my apartment. The law school was meh, the 2Ls in suits seemed ok I guess, though I did get some of those same stares in the bookstore from some fellow 1Ls. This might be a tough 3 years.
I wouldn't read into the looks from the law school... it might be more just general checking out a fellow 1L. I know I was kind of eyeballing people in an awkward way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

syd625

Bronze

Post by syd625 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41 pm

symphony07 wrote:Hi. Where is the copy center? Are they open on weekends? (some of my req course texts can only be obtained there)
It's right next to the bookstore in the law school building. I went in there for my required texts for classes (maybe we're in the same section?), and they said that the materials are handed out at orientation and aren't available.

firstimer

New

Post by firstimer » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:44 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:
Have you been posting on the facebook page / active on the "unofficial" page / setting up events? If so, I definitely wouldn't read too much into it. People are probably just looking like they've seen you before somewhere (on fb) but haven't personally met you yet. I know I've given people the awkward "have I seen you before?" stare.

I'm an ethnic minority too btw (though very much single, so I can't speak to that aspect of the conversation) and I've been treated very well so far. I'm also used to being in "monochromatic" situations though, so it might just be a comfort thing :)

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:28 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:
Sorry to hear that, but like others are saying, I would try to not read too much into it. I can't speak for greater Cville, but I am sure the law school will be as accepting an environment as anywhere. Hopefully once we get into the stride of things and feel more comfortable, it'll feel better for you.

olive16

Bronze

Post by olive16 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 pm

What time is the Biltmore thing tonight?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 am

Edit: Nvm figured it out

The Achieve Of

New

Post by The Achieve Of » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 pm

You guys know if the bookstore is open this weekend?

DMXdawg

New

Post by DMXdawg » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Anyone interested in starting a small stakes poker game? Or participating? PM me.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:43 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Anyone interested in starting a small stakes poker game? Or participating? PM me.
Hmmm... tempted but that's probably something I should stay out of for now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm

So is it what everyone expected?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Br3v wrote:So is it what everyone expected?
Way more talk about partying and whatnot than I expected. I don't like the Biltmore. Beyond that... yeah. It's okay.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:18 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Way more talk about partying and whatnot than I expected. I don't like the Biltmore. Beyond that... yeah. It's okay.
For real. Everyone really does like to go out here lol. I guess that's a good thing instead of it being the extreme opposite?

But yeah, I am still trying to figure out exactly what we are supposed to be doing (academic wise) but beyond that vague sense of worry I like it here.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Br3v wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
For real. Everyone really does like to go out here lol. I guess that's a good thing instead of it being the extreme opposite?

But yeah, I am still trying to figure out exactly what we are supposed to be doing (academic wise) but beyond that vague sense of worry I like it here.
I really like it here. More than I thought I would actually. Besides a few gunners everyone's pretty chill while being scary smart (seriously. I often have to tell myself that I got in here too). I really do need to pace myself with partying and not get so caught up in any social scene that I forget what matters.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I felt kind of overwhelmed by my first few weeks here too, not by the academics but by the over-filled social calendar. I think it's just what they do to set the tone and make sure that when people get here, they don't automatically bunker down and start studying. Because if you do, it would easy to fail to make friends, which would make law school pretty miserable. So there's probably some overcompensation, but it works out well. Most people end up making a large group of friendly acquaintances in the first month or so that they can be comfortable with when around law school and then build up into a smaller circle of actual friends over the year. Or that was my take on it anyway. Good times, it's fun to see the huge groups of 1Ls standing around in circles the first few weeks of class.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:23 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
I'm with you on these.

Academic stuff is taking a while to get my head around. And cold calls freak me out more than I'd hoped they would. Other than that I really like it (as far as anyone can like law school, I guess).

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:52 am

Has anyone else gotten their refund yet? My fridge is bare and I'm still broke.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Has anyone else gotten their refund yet? My fridge is bare and I'm still broke.
Nope. I check every morning. Sections dinners are tonight, so take home leftovers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

danitt wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Has anyone else gotten their refund yet? My fridge is bare and I'm still broke.
Nope. I check every morning. Sections dinners are tonight, so take home leftovers.
Not my section's... I'd suck dick for a donut right now.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Nope, and just checked before logging on to TLS

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Br3v wrote:
Nope, and just checked before logging on to TLS
My SIS account has the refund on there now, but my bank does not. Guess it will be in a few days.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:32 pm

So after the first "week" of classes, what do you all think?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”