UIUC c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
LSD22

New

Re: UIUC c/o 2015

Post by LSD22 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 pm

uiucillini23 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Nah it's definitely different than last years list. Not sure what's going on, very weird
so the office is lying to me? great.

to describe this new career service office and to quote Tupac - I SEE NO CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!
LOL. :lol:

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't think career services is lying. Maybe what's up there now is not the correct list. But it's definitely not last years list. The employers are different and they are scheduled on different days. Here is what is up right now for those who are curious. I tried to list just the big firms. This is what is listed as 2012 OCI and the dates are 2012, so if it's wrong then it was mislabeled:

Aug 14
Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione (IP only)
Drinker Biddle
Husch Blackwell
Ice Miller
Jones Day
K&L Gates
Leydig (IP)
Morgan Lewis
Perkins Coie
Reed Smith
Schiff Hardin
Taft
Troutman Sanders
Vedder Price
Winston & Strawn

Aug 15
Baker & McKenzie
Chapman & Cutler
Dykema
Greenberg Traurig
Holland & Knight
Jenner & Block
Marshall Gerstein (IP)
MWE
MBHB (IP)
McGuire Woods
Thompson Coburn

Aug 16
Bryan Cave
Foley & Lardner
Katten
Knobbe (IP)
Locke Lord
Mayer Brown
Sidley

Aug 27
Kirkland

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm

I count 34 firms for OCI 2012, assuming that's correct. Is this number typical? It seems kind of low.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:I count 34 firms for OCI 2012, assuming that's correct. Is this number typical? It seems kind of low.
I left some smaller firms off. A few more might get added as it gets closer to OCI. But we had around 40 last year and it'll probably be about the same this year. Remember, at Illinois and peer schools most people don't get their jobs through OCI

uiucillini23

New

Post by uiucillini23 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:07 am

most people don't get their jobs through OCI
say what? so why does the career service office cost so much money to operate? why not cut back and give more scholarships to the students? all that office needs is the Dean and one other person in Champaign.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 30, 2012 8:05 am

uiucillini23 wrote:
say what? so why does the career service office cost so much money to operate? why not cut back and give more scholarships to the students? all that office needs is the Dean and one other person in Champaign.
Well in theory there is supposed to be a lot more to their jobs than just planning OCI. But seriously I hope its not actually coming as a shock to you that the majority of Illinois students don't get their jobs at OCI

LSD22

New

Post by LSD22 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
uiucillini23 wrote:
Well in theory there is supposed to be a lot more to their jobs than just planning OCI. But seriously I hope its not actually coming as a shock to you that the majority of Illinois students don't get their jobs at OCI
What are other resources people use to find jobs? OCI and CS sound like a bust from the current students posts...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 30, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't know how most people find jobs. From mass mailing I assume. OCI is not a 'bust' it's just geared towards biglaw which is not where the majority of Illinois students go. I wish I could be more help for people outside the top of the class but my experience is limited to biglaw hiring. Any questions about that I can answer, or any general questions about resumes and cover letters or what not. But as for the specifics of getting a job at median, I have no idea

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed May 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't know how most people find jobs. From mass mailing I assume. OCI is not a 'bust' it's just geared towards biglaw which is not where the majority of Illinois students go. I wish I could be more help for people outside the top of the class but my experience is limited to biglaw hiring. Any questions about that I can answer, or any general questions about resumes and cover letters or what not. But as for the specifics of getting a job at median, I have no idea

Yep, Ludo says it pretty well. Illinois outplaces many of it's "peer" schools in biglaw but, like we've said, only about 20 percent of students get that kind of job. Since that's the point of OCI (save for a few gov orgs and small local firms that come), it makes sense that OCI doesn't help the majority of students. Everyone should submit their resume to every firm at OCI but if your grades aren't pretty good and/or you don't have something else working in your favor (IP, minority, etc), you might not get any interviews through OCI. This is par for the course at any school, but is especially likely at Illinois because we are a 100% preselect school (Which I think is a GOOD thing!).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSD22

New

Post by LSD22 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 pm

blurbz wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I don't know how most people find jobs. From mass mailing I assume. OCI is not a 'bust' it's just geared towards biglaw which is not where the majority of Illinois students go. I wish I could be more help for people outside the top of the class but my experience is limited to biglaw hiring. Any questions about that I can answer, or any general questions about resumes and cover letters or what not. But as for the specifics of getting a job at median, I have no idea

Yep, Ludo says it pretty well. Illinois outplaces many of it's "peer" schools in biglaw but, like we've said, only about 20 percent of students get that kind of job. Since that's the point of OCI (save for a few gov orgs and small local firms that come), it makes sense that OCI doesn't help the majority of students. Everyone should submit their resume to every firm at OCI but if your grades aren't pretty good and/or you don't have something else working in your favor (IP, minority, etc), you might not get any interviews through OCI. This is par for the course at any school, but is especially likely at Illinois because we are a 100% preselect school (Which I think is a GOOD thing!).
Preselect?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

LSD22 wrote:
blurbz wrote:

Preselect?
Sorry: Preselect means that the firms choose everyone they interview. Basically, 1Ls submit resumes and the big firms have 38 interview slots to fill. The firm picks all 38 people to interview based on the resume. This is preselecting. At some schools, the firm will pick 50% of the spots (Or 75% or whatever percent the school and firms agree to) and the rest will be filled by career services or a lottery based on how the firm ranked the students and how the students ranked the firm.

We have no lottery spots: All of our spots are picked by the firms. I think this is good because if the firm wants to interview you, you'll get the interview regardless of where you ranked the firm (they don't see how you ranked firms) and if they don't want to interview you, your time (and theirs) won't be wasted by being forced into an interview by the lottery.

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Any of you fine netizens have any word/estimates on the WL or how many might get offered off of the WL?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 pm

mid june...shits gettin real

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Moved in recently. Weather's been awesome. Everything seems pretty chill compared to city living and it's been nice to relax. Anyone else around yet?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:56 pm

ill be there in early july.

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

2 deposits down ...

Hows the rent situation in Chambana?
Last edited by Philipsssssss on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

lol. See other thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Philipsssssss

Bronze

Post by Philipsssssss » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:38 pm

tmon wrote:lol. See other thread.
:wink:

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Hey now that our class years have been updated in symplicity can any rising 2ls tell me if that OCI list is accurate or not? Otherwise ill take it down

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:26 pm

brotoss wrote:Any of you fine netizens have any word/estimates on the WL or how many might get offered off of the WL?
I got nothing for you buddy. The only advice I can give has already been covered in the waitlist thread. Best of luck to you though dude.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:28 pm

And shit really is getting real. Can't believe we're so close to the start date...I still clearly remember logging into my LSAC account for the first time. It's been a long, crazy road.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Alright, so I'm ready to buy football tickets. I'm about to pay online, but should I get the voucher, or the Block ticket? The issue is that i might want to go to the game with people who aren't students, and it seems like the voucher would be the best way to ensure that I can sit with friends/family. Sooo help? Also, how does the Dad's Day work in regard to tickets?

LSD22

New

Post by LSD22 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:17 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:And shit really is getting real. Can't believe we're so close to the start date...I still clearly remember logging into my LSAC account for the first time. It's been a long, crazy road.
+1 just put in notice at my job yesterday. Excitement is building.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:And shit really is getting real. Can't believe we're so close to the start date...I still clearly remember logging into my LSAC account for the first time. It's been a long, crazy road.

Now the key is staying out of trouble

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:39 am

I would buy tickets, but man, that home schedule is absolutely putrid. Penn State, and then....?

Woof.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”