UIUC c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
nshapkar

Gold

Re: UIUC c/o 2015

Post by nshapkar » Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 am

givemea170 wrote:
tmon wrote:I always thought the difference between an apartment and a condo was just in ownership? I thought you generally rented an apartment, but owned a condo, though I'd say that I'm currently renting a condo because an individual owns it, moved out, and is renting it for extra income. Pretty sure the name doesn't necessarily mean anything quality-wise.

eta: and I lived in a condo last year and it was definitely under the description of "apartment" by your definition. Walls were soooo thin, and I swear the people above me were smashing like 5 kids into their 1 bedroom, and they all were running around constantly.

No idea on realtors, though I feel like someone mentioned calling one in this thread or maybe the other UIUC one. I just went through that list I linked to as well as padmapper and did the legwork myself. Annoying, but turned out well.
Condos I always thought were just small houses that were basically combined together side by side.
That would be a townhouse.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun May 13, 2012 3:03 am

givemea170 wrote: IF you watch the office, Michael Scott moved into a condo.
i only watch 2 tv shows: the office, and game of thrones.

The office was dying this whole season, and even though I'll always stick with the show, I just wasn't liking how things were going. So while the show was heading off a cliff this season, it totally pulled a u-turn this past episode and seems to be back on track.
Robert is gone (i liked james spader, but i'm glad david wallace is back at the helm), Dunder-Mifflin is no longer a subsidiary of Sabre, and Oscar is gonna get with the senator. If they get rid of Nelly, then things will be good for me.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sun May 13, 2012 10:39 am

mattviphky wrote:
givemea170 wrote: IF you watch the office, Michael Scott moved into a condo.
i only watch 2 tv shows: the office, and game of thrones.

The office was dying this whole season, and even though I'll always stick with the show, I just wasn't liking how things were going. So while the show was heading off a cliff this season, it totally pulled a u-turn this past episode and seems to be back on track.
Robert is gone (i liked james spader, but i'm glad david wallace is back at the helm), Dunder-Mifflin is no longer a subsidiary of Sabre, and Oscar is gonna get with the senator. If they get rid of Nelly, then things will be good for me.

I used to love the office and I stopped tuning in regularly about 2-3 seasons ago and 30 rock knocked it off its perch. The. Michael left and I stopped completely. The British office is awesome though.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun May 13, 2012 11:14 am

I think I've basically decided that I'm not watching The Office after this season. It'll never get back to its glory days and they're just recycling plot lines at this point. Also, I figure the fewer series I follow the better. :lol:

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sun May 13, 2012 11:48 am

tmon wrote:I think I've basically decided that I'm not watching The Office after this season. It'll never get back to its glory days and they're just recycling plot lines at this point. Also, I figure the fewer series I follow the better. :lol:

Yeah I'm trying to limit what I watch as much as I can. Luckily the two sports I watch the most usually have their games on the weekend. And NBC is milking that cow for all it's worth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun May 13, 2012 12:06 pm

nshapkar wrote:
tmon wrote:I think I've basically decided that I'm not watching The Office after this season. It'll never get back to its glory days and they're just recycling plot lines at this point. Also, I figure the fewer series I follow the better. :lol:

Yeah I'm trying to limit what I watch as much as I can. Luckily the two sports I watch the most usually have their games on the weekend. And NBC is milking that cow for all it's worth.
Sports are going to kill me. College football alone could be my downfall, not to mention pro and college baseball, basketball and hockey. I've picked up way too many for my own good. Definitely have to limit myself more than I have so far.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun May 13, 2012 12:29 pm

tmon wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Sports are going to kill me. College football alone could be my downfall, not to mention pro and college baseball, basketball and hockey. I've picked up way too many for my own good. Definitely have to limit myself more than I have so far.
i love sports, but notre dame football is the only thing I really watch consistently. Although, I probably watch most of the Bears' schedule, and a number of Blackhawk games, as well.

edit: Gonna add Illinois football to the list.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:33 pm

mattviphky wrote:
tmon wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

i love sports, but notre dame football is the only thing I really watch consistently. Although, I probably watch most of the Bears' schedule, and a number of Blackhawk games, as well.

edit: Gonna add Illinois football to the list.
I'm probably buying Bears' season tickets. Hope I have time to go every game.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sun May 13, 2012 1:00 pm

givemea170 wrote:

If you can't make it to a game I'll offer you 25% of the price you paid :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:05 pm

nshapkar wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

I dunno about that, but I do need to find someone to go to each game with.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Sun May 13, 2012 3:08 pm

givemea170 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

I dunno about that, but I do need to find someone to go to each game with.
I don't know about all the games but I definitely would be interested in going to a handful of games during the early part of the semester.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Driving up to Champaign tonight and staying til Sunday.

Any restaurants I need to check out?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue May 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Black dog in urbana is a must. Other good stuff - bacaro, radio Maria, escobars, dehstil downtown. Maize if you want some pretty decent authentic Mexican. At the corner of prospect and Bradley is a mas amigos taco truck and a hawaiin ice stand thhat's really good on a hot day. If you're looking for anything specific let me know, I think I've eaten almost everywhere in town.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Tue May 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Papa Del's for pizza (get deep dish) and Custard Cup (for custard obviously, not a restaurant) are also local favorites.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue May 15, 2012 6:11 pm

I'll add Jarlings for custard. OTherwise the others have hit every major place in town, I think.

Oh, I also like Siam Terrace (Thai).

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue May 15, 2012 11:46 pm

this might be too mainstream for current students, but i liked potbelly's when I visited. Although I recently heard it was a chain, so I guess it's not really authentic Champaign, but it still tastes good. I think I've gotten "the works" with a chocolate malt the last few times i've been up there.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed May 16, 2012 10:25 am

Potbelly's is Chicago based chain. The first one started on Lincoln/Fullerton.
Chain or not, Potbelly's is good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

Maybe we've gone over this but when do our classes actually start? I just got promoted and need to be able to tell my boss when exactly he should be looking for a replacement.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 16, 2012 10:37 am

First day of classes is August 27 but 1ls have orientation the 22nd through the 24th.

https://www.law.illinois.edu/intranet/a ... c-calendar

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:48 am

We have a Potbelly's next to the University of Maryland. I always enjoyed it when I went, which was rare because although the sandwiches (and milkshakes) are delicious I find it overpriced for the amount of food you get.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:01 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:First day of classes is August 27 but 1ls have orientation the 22nd through the 24th.

How do I log into this? My NetID? It doesn't seem to work...

EDIT: Found a non-password protected link.

https://www.law.illinois.edu/academic-calendar

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 am

diegoforlan10 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:First day of classes is August 27 but 1ls have orientation the 22nd through the 24th.

How do I log into this? My NetID? It doesn't seem to work...

EDIT: Found a non-password protected link.

https://www.law.illinois.edu/academic-calendar
NetId is the username. No clue which one of Illinois many different passwords unlocks it. Here it is:

Fall 2012

Aug 22 – 24: Orientation
Aug 27: First Day of Instruction
Sept 3: Labor Day- No Classes
Nov 17: Start of Thanksgiving Break
Nov 26: Classes Resume
Dec 10: Last Day of Instruction
Dec 11: Reading Day
Dec 12: Final Exams Begin
Dec 20: Final Exams End

Spring 2013

Jan 14: First Day of Instruction
Jan 21: Martin Luther King Day – No Classes
March 16: Start of Spring Break
March 25: Classes Resume
April 29: Last Day of Instruction
April 30: Reading Day
May 1: Final Exams Begin
May 9: Final Exams End
May 11: Convocation

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed May 16, 2012 11:39 am

when is second deposit due? Also, how do I get football tickets? I try to log in with my UIN,but it won't let me order them.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed May 16, 2012 11:45 am

2nd deposit is June 1st. $500.

Also, this made me lol:
Ludovico Technique wrote: No clue which one of Illinois many different passwords unlocks it.
Seriously, why can't we just have 1 username/pw combo that works for everything like most other universities?

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed May 16, 2012 12:40 pm

so have any incoming students received their e-mail accounts or been able to get football tickets?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”