UNC Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
niftykid

New

Re: UNC Law Class of 2015

Post by niftykid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:48 pm

I am sure you did it correctly ... it took a couple of days for the admins to add me.

el William

New

Post by el William » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:43 am

yep, they added me last night. guess i was just a little over-anxious.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Is there a list of firms that visited UNC last year at OCI along with the number of job offers from each?

el William

New

Post by el William » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:34 pm

JD Janitor wrote:Is there a list of firms that visited UNC last year at OCI along with the number of job offers from each?
Darn good question. Maybe post this in the ask a law student/graduate thread also. UNC seems to place well in DC, and I wonder if this is big law or gov work. I know UNC is in the top50 preferred schools for NLJ250 at about 15% placement from c/o 2010, but it would be good to know what firms to start researching.

gdizz01

New

Post by gdizz01 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:22 pm

el William wrote:
JD Janitor wrote:Is there a list of firms that visited UNC last year at OCI along with the number of job offers from each?
Darn good question. Maybe post this in the ask a law student/graduate thread also. UNC seems to place well in DC, and I wonder if this is big law or gov work. I know UNC is in the top50 preferred schools for NLJ250 at about 15% placement from c/o 2010, but it would be good to know what firms to start researching.
1L OCI had a very surprisingly strong presence from firms, but they were largely NC and Atlanta powerhouses (e.g. Womble Carlyle, Troutman Sanders)...you can also do a lot of footwork yourself. If you do well, a lot of doors will be open. The job I'm working now, I got through 1L OCI, but I had 4 outstanding offers and was in the final round of interviews for 2 other jobs when I just said "enough is enough, I've gotta get back to learning the law already" since OCI became a huge distraction. Anyone feel free to PM me with questions.

Also, I've PM'd a few people, but I need to put in a pitch for housing. I'm transferring back up north (native New Yorker), and need to find someone to fill my spot. I have nothing but good things to say about UNC, but unfortunately transferring was the right move for me personally. Depending on your aspirations, the market you want to work in, and especially if you're paying in-state tuition, I would advise the vast majority of people to stay. As for the house:

1. It's prime location, a half block from Franklin Street, near Carolina Coffee Shop. It's a 10 second walk to the bars, a 5-10 minute walk to the gym, and 15-20 minute walk to the law school, although there's a bus stop a block away that goes straight to the law school if you're as lazy as I am.
2. The other students there are what will be a 2L, a 3L, and a 3rd year JD/MBA student (aka a 2L). Everyone is really smart, and housing with upperclassmen can provide awesom advantages for a 1L: lots of outlines, advice, all the pointers and tippers from people who just went through the process successfully, I know there are a TON of ourlines lying around the house, and you can make a lot of friends in the upper classes very quickly, so you'd have a broad range of contacts through out the school. I deliberately chose to live with upperclassman when I started, and rather than being with the blind leading the blind in a house with a bunch of other 1L's, having everyone else's advice was extremely helpful.
3. Rent is 600, which is slightly high, but the value is huge. You get the access to the older students, the best location chapel hill has to offer vis a vis bars, gym, law school, restaurants, cafes, etc, and the house was literally just renovated (these are the first tennants) with brand new hardwood floors, some kind of fancy stone counter tops, central air, and all the lovely things you wouldn't expect to get for 600 but make life as a student much nicer. Also one of the tennants has a projection TV which makes for a great movie theater living room and venue for watching sports and stuff.

If anyone's interested, please get back to me asap, on here or at davehamell@yahoo.com. I'm also happy to answer whatever questions anyone has about the school. Congrats to everyone on admission - it's no easy feat!...Cheers!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:43 pm

When is y'all's orientation?

el William

New

Post by el William » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:19 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:When is y'all's orientation?
Orientation starts Wednesday, so less than one week until this craziness starts. Gotta admit I am starting to get some butterflies

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:00 am

el William wrote:
Orientation starts Wednesday, so less than one week until this craziness starts. Gotta admit I am starting to get some butterflies
Orientation is boring, not something to get nervous about! :] Look forward to making friends--somehow UNC always manages to choose some cool, relatively-unobnoxious-for-law-students people. I forget, did they tell you to dress up? (If so, don't show up with a suit and a briefcase. Especially not a briefcase. Just don't do it.)

el William

New

Post by el William » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:25 pm

YouDontKnowMe wrote:
el William wrote:
Orientation is boring, not something to get nervous about! :] Look forward to making friends--somehow UNC always manages to choose some cool, relatively-unobnoxious-for-law-students people. I forget, did they tell you to dress up? (If so, don't show up with a suit and a briefcase. Especially not a briefcase. Just don't do it.)
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave my fancy Italian attaché case at home (kidding). You have been really helpful on this site and I wonder if you could help with one more thing. I know nothing about the student email service and don't think I have gotten any notifications about it from the school. When I logged into connect Carolina student center I saw a link for "heel mail", clicked on it and saw that I had an address with @live.unc.edu as the domain. Is this my school email? I assume so but I couldn't figure out how to get to an inbox or compose messages to be sent from that account.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

el William wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'll leave my fancy Italian attaché case at home (kidding). You have been really helpful on this site and I wonder if you could help with one more thing. I know nothing about the student email service and don't think I have gotten any notifications about it from the school. When I logged into connect Carolina student center I saw a link for "heel mail", clicked on it and saw that I had an address with @live.unc.edu as the domain. Is this my school email? I assume so but I couldn't figure out how to get to an inbox or compose messages to be sent from that account.
Yes, that's your school email address, hosted by Windows Live, which IMO is a pain in the ass. Assuming you've set up your ONYEN (which I guess you have if you can sign into ConnectCarolina), you should be able to sign into your @live.unc.edu email address with the same ONYEN and ONYEN password. I always use the portal site to get there (http://www.unc.edu/myunc/, HeelMail link over to the right), but I get everything forwarded to my gmail account and only sign into the school account to send official emails.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Orientation, eh? How was it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”