Suffolk - Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ehale317

New

Suffolk - Class of 2015

Post by ehale317 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Didn't see a thread for Suffolk. Essentially decided on attending...but still weighing options.

FWIW, I'm from the Boston area and would be commuting into the city using the T.

quiksilver21af

New

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Post by quiksilver21af » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am

I'm glad someone started this thread.

I am just waiting to here official financial information from one other school. If it isn't substantial I will be attending Suffolk.

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Attending! Anybody else decided on Suffolk yet?

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:Attending! Anybody else decided on Suffolk yet?

I have accepted...Have you filled out your Fafsa or need access form?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:
quiksilver21af wrote:Attending! Anybody else decided on Suffolk yet?

I have accepted...Have you filled out your Fafsa or need access form?
Yeah I did the need access about two weeks ago and Fasfa about a month ago. I was given scholarship money prior to filling all that out, and than after finishing need access they just gave me the standard unsub staff loan to cover the rest of tuition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Ah nuts, I was hoping they would be a little more giving in terms of financial aid. I still have to fill out my need access form. Are you from the Boston area or will you be moving there this summer? Also, have you visited the campus?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:34 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:Ah nuts, I was hoping they would be a little more giving in terms of financial aid. I still have to fill out my need access form. Are you from the Boston area or will you be moving there this summer? Also, have you visited the campus?
I am not from the area, I will be probably be moving to cambridge with a long time friend of mine who lives in there now. And yes I have visited the campus, it was quite possibly the nicest school i've seen.

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:
MysticalAmethyst wrote:Ah nuts, I was hoping they would be a little more giving in terms of financial aid. I still have to fill out my need access form. Are you from the Boston area or will you be moving there this summer? Also, have you visited the campus?
I am not from the area, I will be probably be moving to cambridge with a long time friend of mine who lives in there now. And yes I have visited the campus, it was quite possibly the nicest school i've seen.
That is good to hear or read:-) I hope to make the move sometime this summer. I am coming from the West coast, so it's kind of a far move and I hope to be situated by the start of the Fall semester.

ehale317

New

Post by ehale317 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit! Good luck to the rest still trying to come to a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 pm

It's funny checking the status checker again. This time confirming they received my seat deposit.

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Has anyone received any confirmation about their seat deposit?

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:Has anyone received any confirmation about their seat deposit?
Yep, I received mine on April 8th shortly after I paid. Since your status checker has already updated to show that you paid you should be golden. If you need a receipt for confirmation number you should either email financial aid or the bursars office. My confirmation came from the Bursars office. Hope this helps:-)

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:
quiksilver21af wrote:Has anyone received any confirmation about their seat deposit?
Yep, I received mine on April 8th shortly after I paid. Since your status checker has already updated to show that you paid you should be golden. If you need a receipt for confirmation number you should either email financial aid or the bursars office. My confirmation came from the Bursars office. Hope this helps:-)
Yeah, I actually emailed them and they confirmed as well. Its just funny, before I sent in my deposit I was either getting an email from them everyday or a letter in the mail like once a week with something going on. Since I've paid my deposit I haven't heard a word from them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Yeah, I actually emailed them and they confirmed as well. Its just funny, before I sent in my deposit I was either getting an email from them everyday or a letter in the mail like once a week with something going on. Since I've paid my deposit I haven't heard a word from them.[/quote]

I think that is how most places probably work. If they need something from you they will keep contacting you, but as soon as you give them what they want they will stop, and possibly forget to give you a confirmation of receipt as in this case:-)

Are you still excited about attending Suffolk? I just found out I got into John Marshall School of Law in Chicago as well. I still feel good about Suffolk, but can't help to feel curious about JMSL too. Do you know anything about JMSL? I have never lived in Boston or Chicago, but I have visited Chicago. Still there is more history in Boston...what are your thoughts?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

MysticalAmethyst wrote:Yeah, I actually emailed them and they confirmed as well. Its just funny, before I sent in my deposit I was either getting an email from them everyday or a letter in the mail like once a week with something going on. Since I've paid my deposit I haven't heard a word from them.
I think that is how most places probably work. If they need something from you they will keep contacting you, but as soon as you give them what they want they will stop, and possibly forget to give you a confirmation of receipt as in this case:-)

Are you still excited about attending Suffolk? I just found out I got into John Marshall School of Law in Chicago as well. I still feel good about Suffolk, but can't help to feel curious about JMSL too. Do you know anything about JMSL? I have never lived in Boston or Chicago, but I have visited Chicago. Still there is more history in Boston...what are your thoughts?[/quote]

I am definitely still psyched about Suffolk. A few days ago I was questioning my decision a little bit because I really wanted to go to some of the schools I was accepted to in California. But the truth of the matter is Suffolk is a great school, and Boston is awesome. I've never lived there but my good friend lives there now and I've visited quite a few times. I really enjoy the vibe and theres a lot less commotion than other cities like New York. I don't really know anything about John Marshall, and I've never been to Chicago. And unfortunately I have a feeling you and everybody else will always feel curious about the schools they didn't go to. It's only natural.

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:
MysticalAmethyst wrote:Yeah, I actually emailed them and they confirmed as well. Its just funny, before I sent in my deposit I was either getting an email from them everyday or a letter in the mail like once a week with something going on. Since I've paid my deposit I haven't heard a word from them.

Are you still excited about attending Suffolk? I just found out I got into John Marshall School of Law in Chicago as well. I still feel good about Suffolk, but can't help to feel curious about JMSL too. Do you know anything about JMSL? I have never lived in Boston or Chicago, but I have visited Chicago. Still there is more history in Boston...what are your thoughts?
I am definitely still psyched about Suffolk. A few days ago I was questioning my decision a little bit because I really wanted to go to some of the schools I was accepted to in California. But the truth of the matter is Suffolk is a great school, and Boston is awesome. I've never lived there but my good friend lives there now and I've visited quite a few times. I really enjoy the vibe and theres a lot less commotion than other cities like New York. I don't really know anything about John Marshall, and I've never been to Chicago. And unfortunately I have a feeling you and everybody else will always feel curious about the schools they didn't go to. It's only natural.[/quote]

Yep, I bet you are right, life is about about moving forward, not the could've, would've, should'ves :-) I am still super happy about my decision of choosing Suffolk... the history, the food, and the convenience of the T in Boston should help us get through our 3 years of school:-)

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:40 pm

I didn't have time to call the school today but I am looking to get an apartment soon, and I was wondering if anybody knew how soon you could get financial aid money, loans, ect, to pay for down payments and first and last months rent and all that jazz for an apartment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Olive-Juice

New

Post by Olive-Juice » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:35 am

Hey!

It looks like I'll be joining you guys at Suffolk in the fall. What is everyone doing about housing?

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:50 am

Olive-Juice wrote:Hey!

It looks like I'll be joining you guys at Suffolk in the fall. What is everyone doing about housing?
I am currently looking with a friend of mine. Originally we were looking at either Cambridge or Beacon Hill. We're thinking of expanding our search to East Boston and maybe Chelsea, but are definitely open to ideas. What is everybody else doing?

Olive-Juice

New

Post by Olive-Juice » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am

quiksilver21af wrote:
Olive-Juice wrote:Hey!

I am currently looking with a friend of mine. Originally we were looking at either Cambridge or Beacon Hill. We're thinking of expanding our search to East Boston and maybe Chelsea, but are definitely open to ideas. What is everybody else doing?
I live in SF and have no idea where any of that is. I live a block away from my school now and can't imagine not walking to class.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Mystical and Quicksilver:

Out of the lower ranked schools Suffolk will probably offer you the most bang for your buck as long as you're willing to stay in Boston. Suffolk has a GREAT reputation in Boston, it's very well-regarded and their grads tend to do well. If you don't want to stay in Boston that's another story.

From what I understand, John Marshall and perhaps some of the other schools you're considering are not as well regarded in their respective areas and thus will make it more difficult for you to get a job.

This is coming from someone that is not going to Suffolk and thus I have no vested interest in the school. Congratulations on your acceptances and I'm sure you'll love Boston.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawschoolsdreams

New

Post by Lawschoolsdreams » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Waitlisted here. Really hoping to be back in Boston after attending BU and graduating early.

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 pm

JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 pm

JoeMo wrote:Mystical and Quicksilver:

Out of the lower ranked schools Suffolk will probably offer you the most bang for your buck as long as you're willing to stay in Boston. Suffolk has a GREAT reputation in Boston, it's very well-regarded and their grads tend to do well. If you don't want to stay in Boston that's another story.

From what I understand, John Marshall and perhaps some of the other schools you're considering are not as well regarded in their respective areas and thus will make it more difficult for you to get a job.

This is coming from someone that is not going to Suffolk and thus I have no vested interest in the school. Congratulations on your acceptances and I'm sure you'll love Boston.
Thanks I appreciate some positive comments on this site for a change.

Olive-Juice

New

Post by Olive-Juice » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to live close to school and 100% not alone. My friend from Boston said that Craigslist isn't used as much as it is out here. O I can only imagine. It doesn't seem real down there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”