. Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
georgia32

Bronze

Re: Georgia State University - c/o 2015

Post by georgia32 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Why is their ASD (Or whatever it is) on a Thursday, it's very inconvenient.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
oxeatheman wrote:
howell wrote:Class of 2012 here. Most of your questions will likely be administrative and better handled by the school, but if anything comes up, feel free to ask questions here or PM me during this time or once you get started.
Lets get back on topic.

Does GSU give out free t-shirts at the Accepted Student Reception or Orientation?
Or at the brief affair or encounter?
I only attended the orientation, and we didn't get free t-shirts there. I haven't seen many people with free GSU t-shirts that I know of, so the odds are probably low. All extra money is probably going to our new building fund. :lol: But I assume you would get some GSU swag of some kind.

ahenson7 - If you can't find anyone to give you a tour of the school ASAP, let me know. I will contact people and figure out the best way to make that happen.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 pm

howell wrote:
ahenson7 - If you can't find anyone to give you a tour of the school ASAP, let me know. I will contact people and figure out the best way to make that happen.

Thank you! I'm calling the school in the morning to see if I can come Wednesday since I'm off work that day.

oxeatheman

New

Post by oxeatheman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 pm

howell wrote:assume you would get some GSU swag of some kind

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 am

Got my tour for tomorrow! Very excited.

I know I'm waaaaay behind since I applied so late in the cycle, but what's the process for awarding scholarships? Wondering if all the money has been given out already...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:38 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Got my tour for tomorrow! Very excited.

I know I'm waaaaay behind since I applied so late in the cycle, but what's the process for awarding scholarships? Wondering if all the money has been given out already...

Not sure what the process is but some were awarded already (not many) and they were awarded very recently and the people who received them had 8 days to either accept or reject them. They told us all along that Apr. 15 (deposit deadline) would be the time around which we would hear about scholarships. I believe there is another round coming just because I know they recycle scholarships that are rejected or that are replaced with bigger scholarships...

But, it's definitely a trickle thing not a pour... GSU just cuts the BS and charges what they should be charging to begin with.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:

Not sure what the process is but some were awarded already (not many) and they were awarded very recently and the people who received them had 8 days to either accept or reject them. They told us all along that Apr. 15 (deposit deadline) would be the time around which we would hear about scholarships. I believe there is another round coming just because I know they recycle scholarships that are rejected or that are replaced with bigger scholarships...

But, it's definitely a trickle thing not a pour... GSU just cuts the BS and charges what they should be charging to begin with.
AGREE. There is just no way to justify charging ~$40,000/year for tuition like most schools do. Tuition is by far my favorite thing about GSU. So I'm assuming our seat deposits will be paid before we know about scholarships? (Because if I was getting any money, that would lock in GSU for me immediately.)

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

ahenson7 wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:

AGREE. There is just no way to justify charging ~$40,000/year for tuition like most schools do. Tuition is by far my favorite thing about GSU. So I'm assuming our seat deposits will be paid before we know about scholarships? (Because if I was getting any money, that would lock in GSU for me immediately.)
I dunno... guess you could call the admissions department and tell 'em just like that! A lot of people with really high scores didn't receive any thing yet.. but like I said it's cause they cut the BS and talk real talk from the beginning. I mean we're talking about $6,264 a semester, best valued legal education in the country... let's just say they already gave you a $28k scholarship and start signin' papers!!! :D

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 pm

I've been searching and searching but can't find anything on GSU's website... what is the school's estimated Cost of Living?? Just trying to determine what amount of loans I'll be eligible for. Haven't received any financial aid info yet.

(Little impatient, I suppose.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm

ahenson7 wrote:I've been searching and searching but can't find anything on GSU's website... what is the school's estimated Cost of Living?? Just trying to determine what amount of loans I'll be eligible for. Haven't received any financial aid info yet.

It's all broken down on your paws - in your acceptance letter you should have a student number which you can use to access GSUs online system (like owl express but they call it PAWS) and you see it all listed in the fin. aid section.

Books and Supplies
$1,250.00

Living Expenses
$11,741.00

Tuition and Fees
$14,770.00

Transportation
$2,070.00

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:I've been searching and searching but can't find anything on GSU's website... what is the school's estimated Cost of Living?? Just trying to determine what amount of loans I'll be eligible for. Haven't received any financial aid info yet.

It's all broken down on your paws - in your acceptance letter you should have a student number which you can use to access GSUs online system (like owl express but they call it PAWS) and you see it all listed in the fin. aid section.
I've been trying to set up a paws account with the number they sent me in the email, but it is just not working out. I guess I need to wait on the acceptance letter. I'm a whole 2 hours away from campus so it shouldn't take long to come in the mail lol.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Got into UGA today.

Best of luck in the fall, everyone. I'm out!

MediocrePerfection

New

Post by MediocrePerfection » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Thoughts on where to live? My wife will probably be teaching somewhere in North Fulton County, and we'd like to split the commute. I'd love to find a 2br between $700-$900. Any Atlanta experts know of good places? Buckhead, Sandy Springs, etc?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

To put it out there - I know of a one bedroom carriage house with kitchen and everything in the bamboo garden of a VERY NICE house literally on Piedmont in Midtown in Atlanta up for rent for $600. Very worth looking into (my friend lives in the main house).

Utilities, cable, internet included. Access 2 washer-dryer. 1Bed, 1bath, living room, kitchenette. Piedmont, between 5th and 6th.

PM for contact info.

GTSkillz

New

Post by GTSkillz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 am

Any insight on parking for PT evening students? It looks like it is cheaper to pay the $2.25 per entry after 4pm than getting a semester pass if you're only there 3-4 days a week. Is the M deck still crowded that late in the afternoon?

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:43 am

GTSkillz wrote:Any insight on parking for PT evening students? It looks like it is cheaper to pay the $2.25 per entry after 4pm than getting a semester pass if you're only there 3-4 days a week. Is the M deck still crowded that late in the afternoon?
Are you including all of the trips to the library you will need to make, or all of the times you will come to meet your study group or go to office hours, or all of the social functions you may attend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GTSkillz

New

Post by GTSkillz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Ga0-3L wrote:
GTSkillz wrote:Any insight on parking for PT evening students? It looks like it is cheaper to pay the $2.25 per entry after 4pm than getting a semester pass if you're only there 3-4 days a week. Is the M deck still crowded that late in the afternoon?
Are you including all of the trips to the library you will need to make, or all of the times you will come to meet your study group or go to office hours, or all of the social functions you may attend?
Good point. I will be working close to full time, so I will rarely be on campus before 4pm during the week. The price difference is going to be negligible either way, +/- $50 a semester isn't much considering all the other costs. Do you know if they charge for parking on weekends? I'm guessing they do or others would park there when visiting downtown Atlanta.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:32 pm

GTSkillz wrote: Do you know if they charge for parking on weekends?
No, sorry, I don't know. I plan to use Marta.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:30 pm

There is free parking on weekends across the street in the deck next to the arena. The hours are supposedly 7am-7pm on Saturdays and 11am-7pm on Sundays, but you can leave after 7pm either night, and sometimes you can get in before the scheduled hours.

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Is everyone joining the GSU Law 2012 fb group?

salix

New

Post by salix » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

I did!

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Is the FB group helpful for any of you?

And did they send something out about joining the GSU SBA page? We've had a ton of new people request access.

kneedrag

Bronze

Post by kneedrag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”