University of Florida Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Geaux12

Bronze

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Post by Geaux12 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm officially looking for a roommate, just got a 2b/2.5 bath condo about 10 minutes from the law school with W/D in the unit. Rent would be about $450+utilities, somewhat negotiable. Looking for another guy, preferably someone serious about studying but not opposed to serious college football watching and a few beers.

Also, does anyone know when we'll find out about which books we'll be using? I know its a widely debated topic, but I'm considering looking at a few E&E's and would like to get the companion to our casebook if at all possible.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed May 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Geaux12 wrote:I'm officially looking for a roommate, just got a 2b/2.5 bath condo about 10 minutes from the law school with W/D in the unit. Rent would be about $450+utilities, somewhat negotiable. Looking for another guy, preferably someone serious about studying but not opposed to serious college football watching and a few beers.

Also, does anyone know when we'll find out about which books we'll be using? I know its a widely debated topic, but I'm considering looking at a few E&E's and would like to get the companion to our casebook if at all possible.
Section assignments will come early to mid July. Then, sometime after that your professors will post the assigned texts. It will just depend on the individual professor.

I take from your statement that you've heard both sides of the argument, but I strongly suggest you just take this summer to get some sun, relax, work, do anything besides read for law school. Two reasons: 1) You are going to read more than enough once school starts. There's plenty of time to learn what you need to learn. 2) The professors here are all unbelievably different. One tort class will spend 2 days on intentional torts while another might spend 2 weeks. The real skill you need to develop is learning what your professor's stance is on what they are teaching, and model your exam answers after that.

Of course, that's just my opinion, so do whatever feels right for you. :D

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

(deleted)

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Fri May 25, 2012 1:00 am

UMiamiCane wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
mmartinneal wrote:You guys should consider Corry Village. It's next to the law school and dirt cheap ($436 a month; includes everything except electricity).
Isn't that family housing? Are there kids there? Although I'm not looking for a place, personally I wouldn't want to live where there are kids.
Both graduate and family housing, so I guess there would be children. I don't spend much time home anyways; I just need a cheap place with a kitchen and space for a bed close to campus, but I understand how kids could bother and distract residents...

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 am

mmartinneal wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
mmartinneal wrote:You guys should consider Corry Village. It's next to the law school and dirt cheap ($436 a month; includes everything except electricity).
Isn't that family housing? Are there kids there? Although I'm not looking for a place, personally I wouldn't want to live where there are kids.
Both graduate and family housing, so I guess there would be children. I don't spend much time home anyways; I just need a cheap place with a kitchen and space for a bed close to campus, but I understand how kids could bother and distract residents...
Mmartinneal, do you currently live in Corry? If so how is it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:36 am

I drove through the Corry parking lot the other day; they look pretty shitty from the outside at least.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm

I don't live there right now but yes I have been through it and it is pretty old as is Diamond and other graduate housing villages. However, if you are more concerned about price and proximity to the school, and want to live alone, Corry is a good choice. It's literally right across the school...

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:17 pm

mmartinneal wrote:I don't live there right now but yes I have been through it and it is pretty old as is Diamond and other graduate housing villages. However, if you are more concerned about price and proximity to the school, and want to live alone, Corry is a good choice. It's literally right across the school...
And want to stay alone for the duration of your time there. Looks like a housing project. But as you mentioned, there isn't any better location as far as proximity to school. You could roll out of bed and walk to class in 3 minutes.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 am

Geaux12 wrote:
mmartinneal wrote:I don't live there right now but yes I have been through it and it is pretty old as is Diamond and other graduate housing villages. However, if you are more concerned about price and proximity to the school, and want to live alone, Corry is a good choice. It's literally right across the school...
And want to stay alone for the duration of your time there. Looks like a housing project. But as you mentioned, there isn't any better location as far as proximity to school. You could roll out of bed and walk to class in 3 minutes.
Yeah, that's what I did in undergrad at UF really. I was in either class/library or friend's houses most of the time. The proximity and price of the village is what does it for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Let me know if you guys got any questions.

jlz111

New

Post by jlz111 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 pm

How do we sign up for football tickets?

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Mon May 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Is anyone living / planning to live / know someone who lives in Camelot? Im pretty sure I'm going to sign a lease there, but wanted to get some opinions. I like it because it's super close and I can have a whole 2br to myself for a really low cost. Great for friends and family visiting or a roommate 2l year. It does seem a little sketchy though. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Thu May 31, 2012 1:40 am

jlz111 wrote:How do we sign up for football tickets?
Go to Gatorzone, http://www.gatorzone.com/tickets/students/ and sign up for a student account. You will then be able to enter the lottery for student tickets, it costs $110 and you have to pay up front. If you don't win the lottery they will refund your money. Need to do it soon, I believe the deadline is June 5th at 5 pm.
MissMock wrote:Is anyone living / planning to live / know someone who lives in Camelot? Im pretty sure I'm going to sign a lease there, but wanted to get some opinions. I like it because it's super close and I can have a whole 2br to myself for a really low cost. Great for friends and family visiting or a roommate 2l year. It does seem a little sketchy though. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I've had several friends live there with no incident. I can see why you would get the sketchy vibe driving in there, but it's not that bad. I think it's a great value for such a good location.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Thu May 31, 2012 11:04 am

MissMock wrote:Is anyone living / planning to live / know someone who lives in Camelot? Im pretty sure I'm going to sign a lease there, but wanted to get some opinions. I like it because it's super close and I can have a whole 2br to myself for a really low cost. Great for friends and family visiting or a roommate 2l year. It does seem a little sketchy though. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know about the apartments, specifcally, but that area of town is fine. You have to cross a large intersection to get to campus, but after that it's a really nice walk down SW 2nd Ave.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Thu May 31, 2012 5:35 pm

Football tickets update: The deadline is actually June 7th at 5pm.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Has anyone new to UF had trouble signing up for the lottery? When I try to access my Student Football Account and go through the "Forgot Password" process I'm getting a "The E-mail address you entered does not match an account in our system" error. I'm using my registered .ufl.edu email address...

Greeeaat. I plan on calling customer service tomorrow, I guess.

Oblivion426

New

Post by Oblivion426 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Has anyone new to UF had trouble signing up for the lottery? When I try to access my Student Football Account and go through the "Forgot Password" process I'm getting a "The E-mail address you entered does not match an account in our system" error. I'm using my registered .ufl.edu email address...

Just call them and have them add your email to your account. That is the same issue I was having and it was remedied very quickly over the phone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Oblivion426 wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Has anyone new to UF had trouble signing up for the lottery? When I try to access my Student Football Account and go through the "Forgot Password" process I'm getting a "The E-mail address you entered does not match an account in our system" error. I'm using my registered .ufl.edu email address...

Just call them and have them add your email to your account. That is the same issue I was having and it was remedied very quickly over the phone.
I had trouble with it too. Just recently I was able to get it straightened out. Check first if your UFL email works. That was part of my problem. I think it was because the main office had an issue with my residency that we just sorted out last week.

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Did anyone else recieve a letter asking to provide additonal documentation of Florida residency? I submitted my paperwork and they mentioned it would be updated on ISIS that evening if approved but I've been looking for days and can't find anything that tells me my residency status, any idea where I might find it? Thanks!

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:59 pm

MichNole19 wrote:Did anyone else recieve a letter asking to provide additonal documentation of Florida residency? I submitted my paperwork and they mentioned it would be updated on ISIS that evening if approved but I've been looking for days and can't find anything that tells me my residency status, any idea where I might find it? Thanks!
I got a letter. I didn't check on ISIS, but I sent in the info in via fax and all of the sudden I started getting the emails about football ticket and the UF dean resigning, etc. I took that as an affirmation.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:24 pm

MichNole19 wrote:Did anyone else recieve a letter asking to provide additonal documentation of Florida residency? I submitted my paperwork and they mentioned it would be updated on ISIS that evening if approved but I've been looking for days and can't find anything that tells me my residency status, any idea where I might find it? Thanks!
Yeah I got that letter about a week ago and I mailed them the documents, but I still received word whether they've confirmed my residency or not...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 am

UF got a new website, so all the links on the original post were broken. I corrected all the links, added a few more, and organized it into categories. Check out the original post, and let me know if you guys want me to include anything else!

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi everyone, I'm in Gainesville right now and I'm looking at all these places to live (my parents want to buy a place and have me share the rent with someone else), and we've decided on this beautiful place 10-15 minutes from campus called Creeks Edge and I was wondering if anyone was looking for a place to live (we are definitely buying a place in Creeks Edge, but I'm gauging co-renter interest)? Rent is $500 per person (then we'd have to split the cost of utilities, cable, electric, internet etc.), but for a place as nice as this, it actually is quite cheap. Send me a message if you are interested! I'm looking for a male roommate preferably (I am male), I'm allergic to cats and dogs unfortunately. I'm a diligent studyier, but I definitely know how to have a good time when it's time for the tie to come off. I've never had a roommate that didn't love living with me and this is honestly a really awesome place to live. We just spent all day seeing 30+ places and we decided on this place (and my parents are real estate brokers haha) so trust me when I say it is very nice, especially for the price. Amenities include a fairly large community pool, a very nice fitness center, two lighted recently resurfaced tennis courts. The places themselves were all recently completely remodeled 5 years ago so everything is in tip top shape and my parents would be the owners, so it's not like we would have any problems getting things fixed. send me a message if interested!

fpsandy

New

Post by fpsandy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know what the maximum yearly scholarship offered by UF is? I talked to Carol Huber today and she informed me that $14k/ year is the highest offer they give, even though on law school numbers a few people are reporting $60k for all 3 years. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

I don't know the maximum amount, but it's definitely more than 14k

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”