University of Minnesota Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
brommanderinchief

New

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Post by brommanderinchief » Mon May 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Can't wait to meet everyone. When is everyone planning on moving to Minneapolis and where are you living?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Beginning of August and IDK :|

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm

beginning of August, and Dinkytown

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Mon May 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate?

I haven't heard back from Gamma House.... total radio silence.

So, I am now looking for roomies, either 2, 3, or even 4 bedroom apartment to keep costs down.

Shoot me a PM.... :P

brommanderinchief

New

Post by brommanderinchief » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Awesome. I'm moving in mid-August, also in Dinkytown.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi everyone!

After several months of sleepless nights, constant anxiety, and serious soul-searching, I have finally decided on Minnesota!!! Looking forward to meeting all of you and please count me in for the TLS pub crawl!!!

P.S. I got an apartment on top of the bar "The Republic" right across the street from the lawl school :D

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue May 22, 2012 6:26 pm

whatismylife wrote:Hi everyone!

After several months of sleepless nights, constant anxiety, and serious soul-searching, I have finally decided on Minnesota!!! Looking forward to meeting all of you and please count me in for the TLS pub crawl!!!

P.S. I got an apartment on top of the bar "The Republic" right across the street from the lawl school :D

Thats great!!! I followed your choosing a law school thread, and you sure did have a tough choice. Glad you will be joining the class!!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 am

whatismylife wrote:
Swent88 wrote:Current student, just finished 1L year -- happy to answer any questions yall have about anything. I LOVE the U and hope you all choose to attend. Post a reply or PM.
What are your plans for the summer???? Did you land a SA??
+1 Would love to hear what's going on regarding employment

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Sooo I don't think UMN has ever submitted a video to the Law Revue contest on abovethelaw.com
I would REALLY like to participate in this!! anyone with me???

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsPC2n4T6Q

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed May 23, 2012 1:48 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. That video had several really funny moments. Thanks for sharing :lol:

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Full blown summer associate positions are generally not offered to 1Ls. The only firms that offer 1L SAs are through diversity positions, so a few minority students scored some positions, but that's it. However, other than SAs, there are REALLY great job opportunities for 1Ls. If you do well the first year (top quartile) you'll almost certainly get a paid position, e.g. as a paid intern for a smaller law firm, or for a twin cities corporation (tons of positions posted) which pay pretty well. There are also many listings for 1L research assistants for professors. If you're in the top half, decent, but less likely chance of paid work. AND no matter your quartile, The U offers an excellent externship program, which GUARANTEES a position externing with a judge in the twin cities no matter your grades, including federal district court, courts of appeals, and various state courts (although the better grades, the better chance of getting a good court). Obviously that is unpaid (actually have to pay tuition) but you get class credit.

If ended up around the first quartile, and this summer i have a paid internship with a twin cities company part time, other half of the time I'm also doing that externship program. Luckily a managed to score federal court

In terms of general job prospects for 2Ls, and graduates, the Twin Cities is doing really great now. Obviously things were bleak during the downturn, but now things a pretty much back to normal. From what I've heard, the big firms are back to normal hiring numbers.

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:31 pm

whatismylife wrote:Hi everyone!

Good call. definitely the most popular hang out for students. I've probably been to republic about 20 times my first year.

brommanderinchief

New

Post by brommanderinchief » Wed May 23, 2012 6:39 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:beginning of August, and Dinkytown
@ThreeRivers: Where in Dinkytown are you living?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 am

whatismylife wrote:Sooo I don't think UMN has ever submitted a video to the Law Revue contest on abovethelaw.com

I think most of the effort goes into TORT (Theatre of the Relatively Talentless), so there aren't shorter clips to send in for the ATL Law Revue contest.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 24, 2012 10:24 am

kalede wrote:
whatismylife wrote:Sooo I don't think UMN has ever submitted a video to the Law Revue contest on abovethelaw.com

I think most of the effort goes into TORT (Theatre of the Relatively Talentless), so there aren't shorter clips to send in for the ATL Law Revue contest.
Can't we have a separate group do the ATL thing? I think at other schools it's really only like 4 or 5 people who participate, so it shouldn't be too hard to put something together.

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Thu May 24, 2012 10:51 am

brommanderinchief wrote:Can't wait to meet everyone. When is everyone planning on moving to Minneapolis and where are you living?
I'll probably move up late July/early August and I'll be living the dream in suburbia.

Ps. I enjoy your screen name.

Hell. Yes. This is happening. And we will win.

Would anybody be interested in doing a weekend up north sometime in August? Lake, bonfires, beer...the usual cabin stuff haha. That way any out-of-state-ers can experience the authentic Minnesota experience.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 24, 2012 2:05 pm

UMN wrote: After careful consideration, the Law School has elected to discontinue its mandatory laptop program. Beginning with the Class of 2015, students are free to choose their own laptops.
YAY :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Nova wrote:
UMN wrote: After careful consideration, the Law School has elected to discontinue its mandatory laptop program. Beginning with the Class of 2015, students are free to choose their own laptops.
YAY :D
I JUST READ THIS TOOO AND AM ECSTATICCCCCC

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Haha, definitely a good thing. Kind of funny in my case though, I need a laptop and my mom wanted to buy me 1 as a graduation present and I told her not to. O well

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Thu May 24, 2012 3:17 pm

The U ending their laptop requirement is like Christmas came early this year haha. Already shopping for Macs. :)

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 pm

woodscommaL wrote:Would anybody be interested in doing a weekend up north sometime in August? Lake, bonfires, beer...the usual cabin stuff haha. That way any out-of-state-ers can experience the authentic Minnesota experience.
Yes! That is definitely something i'm down for.

Also, in response to the laptop program being discontinued: AWWWWW YEAH.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu May 24, 2012 3:58 pm

woodscommaL wrote: Would anybody be interested in doing a weekend up north sometime in August? Lake, bonfires, beer...the usual cabin stuff haha. That way any out-of-state-ers can experience the authentic Minnesota experience.
I think my 2nd favorite thing in life (behind the beach) is drinking by a campfire lol. Definitely down

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote: Would anybody be interested in doing a weekend up north sometime in August? Lake, bonfires, beer...the usual cabin stuff haha. That way any out-of-state-ers can experience the authentic Minnesota experience.
I think my 2nd favorite thing in life (behind the beach) is drinking by a campfire lol. Definitely down
Count me in too! Pre-law school TLS party in the woods sounds legit.

Btw my parents have a cabin =D

brommanderinchief

New

Post by brommanderinchief » Thu May 24, 2012 6:01 pm

@woodscommaL: haha thanks, and count me in. Really need to get the authentic Minnesota experience since I've lived in California my whole life.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Happy to see the laptop program ditched, now I have no idea what I'm going to get though.

Not sure I want to make the switch to mac... I'm not convinced they're worth the cost, but they are really cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”