University of Minnesota Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
jsvaughn

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Post by jsvaughn » Sun May 06, 2012 12:11 am

Visiting the school at 10AM Tuesday morning, which means I start my drive up tomorrow morning from Raleigh

Hopefully I'll be able to get a place locked down to live next year

swimman06

New

Post by swimman06 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:04 am

What are my chances of upping my scholarship if I've already put down my seat deposit? Any chance?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 09, 2012 1:13 am

swimman06 wrote:What are my chances of upping my scholarship if I've already put down my seat deposit? Any chance?
I haven't seen any evidence that they negotiate at all. That, coupled with your already paid deposit, make it seem very unlikely.

Always worth a try though, all they can say is no.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

swimman06 wrote:What are my chances of upping my scholarship if I've already put down my seat deposit? Any chance?
I was not successful at this

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Thu May 10, 2012 9:20 pm

got back from my roadtrip to minneapolis today

Absolutely loved the city and the school. Uptown seems like the place to be

However, 2 hours after getting back Wake Forest offered 20k a year so I have a big decision to make.

I loved Minneapolis and it would be cool to see a new place for three years but can i really turn down a school in my home state which is ultimately where I want to end up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

jsvaughn wrote:
I loved Minneapolis and it would be cool to see a new place for three years but can i really turn down a school in my home state which is ultimately where I want to end up?
Tough call. I can empathise. I turned down a decent scholly at UHLC with hopes that I could still return to TX if (when :P) I am successful in LS. Very tough decision though.

UMN is gonna be aaaaamazing though. And Mpls >>>>> Houston. Except for the lack of spanish girls :( Luckily the abundance of Scandinavian ladies should make up for that :)

Follow your heart, Jsvaughn!!! And keep us in the loop!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I'll be in Minneapolis on Monday / Tuesday to try to find an apt. I only was able to schedule 3 visiting tours of places all for Monday, anyone know if I can go places that'll show me around if I'm not happy with any of the 3 I'll be visiting

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Well just signed a lease for an apartment. No turning back now i guess

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon May 14, 2012 8:33 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Well just signed a lease for an apartment. No turning back now i guess
Congrats dude! What neighborhood?

My future roommates and I were thinking prospect park before but we're pretty close to signing with a place northwest of school now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 pm

minnbills wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Well just signed a lease for an apartment. No turning back now i guess
Congrats dude! What neighborhood?

My future roommates and I were thinking prospect park before but we're pretty close to signing with a place northwest of school now.
Ended up being dinkytown. I know most on tls would reccomend other areas, but I was pretty restricted / honestly feel I'd be happy. :

I REALLY wanted to stick around 700, but live alone for first year (rather than risk whole Craig lists thing) / wanted a half decent area with easy access to groceries / law school (won't have a car).

I wasn't having much success as places seemed to need roommates, look beat up, or be way out of my price range. I was starting to become discouraged / about to settle on a place I wouldn't be happy at (drove 15 hours to go apt hunting), when I found a place I liked a lot but was out of my price range just by a small amount. I was able to haggle the price down to 825 a month with all utilities but electrity as my dad saw me internally debating spending
more than I wanted or placing $ down in some place I wasn't thrilled about. My dad ended up offering to assist $100 a month towards rent. I was overjoyed / signed up.

I liked the room a lot, but I guess I can see it getting a little loud at night, but honestly I've always done my school work in a library (I get too distracted if in my room with a tv otherwise) and I don't think it'll be a major problem.

As a side note, I think I started to fall in love with Minneapolis. During asw I didn't really get to see the city much. On this trip I did a lot of walking / driving around to get a "feel" of areas, and it seems like a really cool city.

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Congrats to everyone signing leases! I'm most likely going to end up living in the burbs and commuting, a family friend offered me my own floor in their house that's way nicer than anything I would want to pay for in the cities virtually for free. It's probably for the best, if I'm too close to the action I tend to turn into a party animal, and that would not be conducive to responsible 1L behavior haha.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 pm

woodscommaL wrote: if I'm too close to the action I tend to turn into a party animal, and that would not be conducive to responsible 1L behavior haha.
But probably would be worth the lolz 8)

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote: if I'm too close to the action I tend to turn into a party animal, and that would not be conducive to responsible 1L behavior haha.
haha +1 you gotta live a little too

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue May 15, 2012 5:43 pm

On a more serious note, I'd take the longer distance but nicer / almost free in a SECOND lol. That's basically an added 8 k a year scholly

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm

minnbills wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
haha +1 you gotta live a little too
Ha fear not, y'all will see plenty of my wild side on the weekends. I just should probably get used to devoting my weekdays to my monogamous relationship with my case books haha
ThreeRivers wrote:On a more serious note, I'd take the longer distance but nicer / almost free in a SECOND lol. That's basically an added 8 k a year scholly
Haha yeah lakeside luxury accommodations, free laundry and garage, more disposable income, and having someone else make me dinner. It's gonna be a rough life haha jk

woodscommaL

Bronze

Post by woodscommaL » Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 pm

U of MN Class of 2015 TLS Bar Crawl...it's happening this August. Be there, or we're fighting. Haha jk...but really.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Im down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

woodscommaL wrote:U of MN Class of 2015 TLS Bar Crawl...it's happening this August. Be there, or we're fighting. Haha jk...but really.
haha Just came to post this.

Definitely down as well

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I will definitely be in attendance as well. :D

brommanderinchief

New

Post by brommanderinchief » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I will be joining you guys this fall. Can't wait. I'll be moving in sometime in mid-August (most likely Dinkytown) so I'm definitely in for the bar crawl. Was anyone at the April ASW?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Welcome to the club. April ASW? I wuzz thurr. Figs wrapped in bacon... MMMM. Such a strange but satisfying combo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu May 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Count me in for the crawl, I was also at April ASW

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Bronze

Post by BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 pm

I posted this in another thread, but I'm definitely in now. Withdrew from everywhere else.

I've applied to Gamma but will seek room mates if it doesn't work out. So, yeah, keep an eye out. I have lived in a 4 bedroom before, so no worries. I'll troll this thread and the facebook group if I don't get Gamma.

I know Nova has yet to get the Law shirt, but has anyone? I deposited and still haven't got my free swag!!!

Anyway, I'm super pumped to be matriculating to Minnesota! :P

GO GOPHERS!!!

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Current student, just finished 1L year -- happy to answer any questions yall have about anything. I LOVE the U and hope you all choose to attend. Post a reply or PM.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Swent88 wrote:Current student, just finished 1L year -- happy to answer any questions yall have about anything. I LOVE the U and hope you all choose to attend. Post a reply or PM.
What are your plans for the summer???? Did you land a SA??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”