University of Minnesota Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
bags716

New

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Post by bags716 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:15 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:Hi, people. I'm back, and I'm all-in. A few questions/comments I have:

1) Yes, it is awesome that they got rid of the laptop policy. Now I can get a Macbook Air instead of buying an ugly Lenovo that costs almost as much anyway and weighs 20 pounds. Happy happy, joy joy.

2) I am still looking at apartments and trying to figure it out. I found some cheap ones close to campus called the University Apartments (I think), but I'm a little reluctant to sign because the landlord seemed nice but old, and I got the feeling it might be a dust-and-mothballs establishment where one goes to die inside. This could be inaccurate, and I would love input from anybody who might know. I want a place to live; if it isn't super conducive to studying, so-be it... I will just study at the library. What I really do not want to do, though, is sign a lease to live in a virtual nunnery like I have lived in for this past year of grad school. Somewhere I can meet people, meet friends, meet ANYBODY would be nice. I feel like Dinkytown may be the way to go because I like socializing, I like partying, and I like being in the middle of it all, even if that means dealing with some undergrads (maybe). I can handle the work/play balance, but this past year has been all work and no play, and I think we all know what that has made me.

3) If I pay extra to live close to campus and sell my car, I figure that will save me at least like $200 a month between my car and insurance, plus it would mean no paying for parking (possibly at both school and apartment)... swap gas money for occasional cab money and I'm going to call that part a wash, assuming I live close enough to avoid using a cab for anything but bar outings (for which I could not drive anyway). So that leaves me $200 more a month (plus probably a couple hundred for parking throughout the year) for rent to help cover the cost of a good location, and that would be my preference if it is possible to go carless around the university. That said, is it smart for a Midwesterner to give up his car in the Twin Cities area? Or is that a mistake? I will be 10 hours from my parents, and I do not anticipate getting out of the cities much more than holidays, so I would probably fly on those few occasions. Anyway, I'm rambling... my point (in this subpoint) is: is it reasonable for me to swap out my car for a nicer/better-located place, or should I stay way off-campus and keep my car, keep paying for the car, insurance and parking all year, and risk isolation from my peeps (you guys) who will largely be closer to campus? Or will you guys mostly be further off campus anyway/not interested in socializing whatsoever in the first place even if you are near/on campus? I knew several people in undergrad who were from the Twin Cities and had no driver's licenses. I assume this means that driving is mostly unnecessary except in the suburbs, but is city travel itself doable without a car? I went to undergrad in Sioux Falls, and for those of you who are unfamiliar, it is a small 160,000 person Midwestern city that sprawls and sprawls... you really could not reasonably get by without a car unless you absolutely had to. Is the university area pretty well accessible without a car, and would it be sensible to come live close to campus if it meant being without a car? I'm just trying to find a way to afford a nicer place, but I don't want to throw out my independence in the process. Would my independence be substantially compromised by ditching the car, or are cars pretty much unnecessary near the law school?

4) Any of you who are from the Twin Cities, I would love it if you had any insight on where to look for an apartment (websites, neighborhoods, anything). Looking at apartments in a city one does not know is absolutely overwhelming, and the idea of coming up and winging it doesn't sound too great either. I am basically looking at 800- if it is driving distance to the law school or maybe up to 1000 if it is definite walking distance where a car would be totally and completely unnecessary.
1) Good for you guys. I was the last class to buy the ThinkPads.

2+3) I live in Uptown about 4 miles away. My place is under $800. I bike to school when the weather is nice and it takes me 30 minutes tops. During the winter, I take an express bus which takes less than 15 minutes. The only time I've ever felt like I needed a car was to take hockey equipment to games (but people will usually give me a ride). Not having a car is hardly an inconvenience. Also, it's kind of nice to keep away from the law school.

4) I'm a fan of padmapper.com

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Wallflower, at least the responded to you. I left multiple voicemails on university apartments and they never even responded lol

I got a place in Dinkytown / also won't be having a car... hoping it goes alright

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:33 pm

bags716 wrote:1) Good for you guys. I was the last class to buy the ThinkPads.

2+3) I live in Uptown about 4 miles away. My place is under $800. I bike to school when the weather is nice and it takes me 30 minutes tops. During the winter, I take an express bus which takes less than 15 minutes. The only time I've ever felt like I needed a car was to take hockey equipment to games (but people will usually give me a ride). Not having a car is hardly an inconvenience. Also, it's kind of nice to keep away from the law school.

4) I'm a fan of padmapper.com
I am possibly considering a roommate at this point or going cheaper... padmapper.com is an AWESOME site, btw, so thank you for that. It will now be my homepage until I find a place. Is anybody looking at possibly splitting a 2br/2ba at Seven Corners? It's like 860 furnished + underground parking and would require no campus parking and would include internet, cable, all utilities and maybe laundry... not sure... if anyone can tell me more about that place or if anybody is interested in possibly living there (with me), let me know! The apartment search is not much fun, and the 1 br at that place (which is perfectly located, incidentally) is like 1300/mo including parking. So let me know what you think, people! I think if I am going to live close, this place might be worth a roommate... otherwise I'm looking at downtown and dinkytown. At this point, that is.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm in Minneapolis for the next few days to scope out apartments. Anyone else around and want to hang out/get drinks? I'm staying downtown, but I have a car and can get pretty much anywhere.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 am

Will you still be around Tuesday?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 am

Not sure yet— it depends on how soon I find an apartment. I'll send you a message if I'm sticking around until then.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Jaeger wrote:Will you still be around Tuesday?
I can't take your posts seriously because your avatar always makes me read your posts with such desperation. Which makes posts like this really funny.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Will you still be around Tuesday?
I can't take your posts seriously because your avatar always makes me read your posts with such desperation. Which makes posts like this really funny.
I assure you, the desperation is real.

youngbuck

New

Post by youngbuck » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

I decided not to stress about the whole apartment thing and just got one at the Studios at Seven Corners. I didn't visit so I don't really know how nice it is, but it's walking distance from the school and the reviews aren't as bad as Grandmarc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:50 am

youngbuck wrote:I decided not to stress about the whole apartment thing and just got one at the Studios at Seven Corners. I didn't visit so I don't really know how nice it is, but it's walking distance from the school and the reviews aren't as bad as Grandmarc.
I am contemplating those as well, even though I would rather have a separate bedroom... I might end up as one of your neighbors though. I too have yet to visit.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:40 am

Got my law school swag yesterday...anyone else?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Jaeger wrote:Got my law school swag yesterday...anyone else?
Got mine, sweet shirt!!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:26 pm

minnbills wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Got my law school swag yesterday...anyone else?
Got mine, sweet shirt!!
Will be reppin often.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Finally found a place! I'm not super close to the law school, but I'm going to be near an express bus route to campus, so hopefully that should work out.

I went and looked at the Seven Corners Studios, and they seemed okay. The hallways were a little dim and depressing, but the actual units seemed nice (but get one on the non-highway side if you can).
Last edited by kalede on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:17 pm

kalede wrote:Finally found a place! I'm not super close to campus, but I'm going to be near an express bus route to campus, so hopefully that should work out.

I went and looked at the Seven Corners Studios, and they seemed okay. The hallways were a little depressing, but the actual units seemed nice (but get one on the non-highway side if you can).
Hey, how far did you end up from campus? Like an address would be good or at least a neighborhood... I'm not sure how far away I should look. I'm either looking at living VERY close to campus or further away, but if I go a mile, would I be as well off to go 3 and find whatever place I want wherever I want since I'd have to drive and pay for parking at that point anyway (or at least ride a bus)? I have to go visit, but I don't want to get there and then have to look at apartments EVERYWHERE throughout the city, so I'm kind of curious what everyone else is doing.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:40 am

wallflower1987 wrote:
kalede wrote:Finally found a place! I'm not super close to campus, but I'm going to be near an express bus route to campus, so hopefully that should work out.

I went and looked at the Seven Corners Studios, and they seemed okay. The hallways were a little depressing, but the actual units seemed nice (but get one on the non-highway side if you can).
Hey, how far did you end up from campus? Like an address would be good or at least a neighborhood... I'm not sure how far away I should look. I'm either looking at living VERY close to campus or further away, but if I go a mile, would I be as well off to go 3 and find whatever place I want wherever I want since I'd have to drive and pay for parking at that point anyway (or at least ride a bus)? I have to go visit, but I don't want to get there and then have to look at apartments EVERYWHERE throughout the city, so I'm kind of curious what everyone else is doing.
I'm going to be in the Kingfield neighborhood.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm getting pretty close to finding an apartment, kind of nerve wracking since I'm heading out of town for a while in a week. Looks like it will be uptown or thereabouts for me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:26 pm

minnbills wrote:I'm getting pretty close to finding an apartment, kind of nerve wracking since I'm heading out of town for a while in a week. Looks like it will be uptown or thereabouts for me
Check out excelsior and grand. A little further out but still really convenient and has access to an express bus. Plus, a little cheaper. The apartments we saw there were really nice and the neighborhood is inclusive so you wouldn't need to do anything but walk.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

In news that I only care about.. lol

NHL just released schedule:
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=400270486

On a Saturday too... I'm soldddddddddd 8) lol

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Have you ever been to the xcel center? It's unbelievable

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 am

minnbills wrote:Have you ever been to the xcel center? It's unbelievable
Nope, but excited to see it now

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:21 am

So when is everybody moving to the Twin Cities?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

July 15.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:02 am

Middle of August.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Mid-late August I think. I would like to get up there earlier, but I would hate to pay rent for August both where I live now and in the cities.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”