Wake Forest Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
TichoBlanco

New

Re: Wake Forest Class of 2015

Post by TichoBlanco » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 pm

ash0117 wrote:So, where is everybody planning to live? I'll be in crowne park.
I am looking at crowne and others, have you already signed a lease? I am hoping to check out places while in town for the April 13 ASD. Are the properties close to campus in super high demand?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:
I am looking at crowne and others, have you already signed a lease? I am hoping to check out places while in town for the April 13 ASD. Are the properties close to campus in super high demand?
I heard from the Crowne staff that they are usually full by May. You don't sign a lease, you pay the security deposit and get put on a waiting list. Depending on how many people move out, that is how many people get in off the waitlist. If there are no available apartments in your chosen complex, they try to place you in a comparable apartment in one of their other complexes (there are three or four in W-S). If not, you get your deposit back. I am first on the waitlist for a 1/1 so I am basically guaranteed an apartment at Crowne Park, which mostly caters to grad students and young professionals.

I chose Crowne because it was clean, newer, allowed dogs, and was close to school. It is a bit more expensive but many of the lower priced apartments are in not so good neighborhoods- it is also WAY nicer than many other apartment complexes around. Also, Crowne was recommended by the admissions office as the place where the majority of the law students live.

As far as I know, most of the complexes around campus are in high demand. The more low-key ones go fast to grad/law/young professionals. The more party ones kinda cater to undergrads. If I were you, I would explore the complexes and try to talk to some current students at ASD. But everyone I talked to said Crowne was the best choice for 1L.

TichoBlanco

New

Post by TichoBlanco » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 pm

ash0117 wrote:
TichoBlanco wrote:
I heard from the Crowne staff that they are usually full by May. You don't sign a lease, you pay the security deposit and get put on a waiting list. Depending on how many people move out, that is how many people get in off the waitlist. If there are no available apartments in your chosen complex, they try to place you in a comparable apartment in one of their other complexes (there are three or four in W-S). If not, you get your deposit back. I am first on the waitlist for a 1/1 so I am basically guaranteed an apartment at Crowne Park, which mostly caters to grad students and young professionals.

I chose Crowne because it was clean, newer, allowed dogs, and was close to school. It is a bit more expensive but many of the lower priced apartments are in not so good neighborhoods- it is also WAY nicer than many other apartment complexes around. Also, Crowne was recommended by the admissions office as the place where the majority of the law students live.

As far as I know, most of the complexes around campus are in high demand. The more low-key ones go fast to grad/law/young professionals. The more party ones kinda cater to undergrads. If I were you, I would explore the complexes and try to talk to some current students at ASD. But everyone I talked to said Crowne was the best choice for 1L.

Thanks for the info, I will be prepared to drop a deposit when I go down. How much was the deposit?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm

TichoBlanco wrote:
ash0117 wrote:
TichoBlanco wrote:

Thanks for the info, I will be prepared to drop a deposit when I go down. How much was the deposit?
It was $200 security deposit and a $50 application fee. If you need a co-signer, it's an additional $50. Also, if you have a pet there is an additional $150 due upon move in. Hope that helps! Let me know where you end up, maybe we can be neighbors!

risingdragon

New

Post by risingdragon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:49 am

ash0117 wrote:
risingdragon wrote:
I will live in Wake Properties. Close and convenient since I do not have a driver license, let alone a car. :lol:
I can definitely understand that. I considered Wake Properties, but I decided I wanted to live alone my first year. So it's just going to be me and my dog in a 1/1 for the first year. Wow, no car! I've had a car since I was 16, can't imagine life without it! I know that there are shuttles and public transportation, so it is possible. If you ever need a ride though , I'd be more than happy to help!
Ahha, you are super nice. Thanks a lot. As for the life w/o car, it is normal since I am a Chinese. A bike was enough. :lol: Anyway, also because of my identity of international student, the first year I want to get some roommates and a convenient place to live and study. Wake Properties are fine for the rent is $525/m w/ furniture, heat, AC, washing machine, drier and the like covered. That can help me to blend into the new atmosphere. Since I do not have a dog, I had better walk my roommate instead. :twisted:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Congrats to those of you who just got accepted. I am a 1L right now and I have a pretty sweet apt. at Robinhood Court, which is about a 10-12 minute drive from school. My two roommates just found out today that they got jobs working for housing so they will be moving into the dorms next year. I am looking to replace two (or at least one roommate). Rent is $380 a month, plus about $75 for utilities. Heres the website for the complex: --LinkRemoved--. If any of you are interested just shoot me a pm.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Throwaway2142 wrote:Can anyone familiar with the Winston-Salem area clarify on the commuting options available for Wake Forest Law? I know they have free student busing system, so is it possible to find free parking in the area that one could then bus from? If worse comes to worse, what does a parking pass run per semester?
There is a free shuttle that stops at many of the apartment complexes. I know it goes to the the 3 Crowne's (Park, Polo, and Oaks), and Deacon Ridge. Other than that, I'm not sure. There are places that are close enough to walk.

There are several parking options. Parking on campus right next to the law school is $500 per year ($250 per semester, but you'll want to buy for the whole year because it's nearly impossible to get one for just the Spring if you buy for just the semester). There is parking just off campus in a Church parking lot for $250 per year. And there is parking at the football field (with a shuttle to the school) for about $100 a year. I've parked on campus both last year and this year, but will be walking next year because I'll be living much closer to campus. I currently live in Crowne Park. I could've taken the shuttle, but I liked being on my own schedule.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:17 pm

ash0117 wrote:
TichoBlanco wrote:

There are a lot of undergrads that live in the Crowne apartments, but they tend to live in the 2 & 3 bedroom buildings. I live in a 1 bedroom building at Crowne Park now and there are mostly law students, grad students, and professionals. It's usually pretty quiet. The few times there is a party (only once in a while), it's usually Friday or Saturday night so people don't mind as much. Most of us go to other people's places for parties.

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm

I'll be depositing tomorrow. Super relieved to be done debating minor differences between schools. I actually live in W-S already, so if anybody has any questions about the city from a non-student perspective, I may be able to help you out.

Guess I'll go put that nifty wake law sticker I got at ASD on my car. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:33 pm

DoctorSpanky wrote:I'll be depositing tomorrow. Super relieved to be done debating minor differences between schools. I actually live in W-S already, so if anybody has any questions about the city from a non-student perspective, I may be able to help you out.

Guess I'll go put that nifty wake law sticker I got at ASD on my car. :D
The best thing about sending my deposit today was making a decision. I'm glad I don't have to constantly question myself anymore. And I put the sticker on my car today. Not sure if I like it yet or if I'm gonna get another one. I have a white car, so I kinda want some color lol.

What are your favorite things about w-s? Least favorite?

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:00 am

My favorite things about Winston-Salem are the beers at foothills brewery (possibly the best beer in nc), the breakfast pastries at Camino Bakery, the coffee at Krankie's (they roast their own beans), the sushi at Mizu, and a pervasive feeling of optimism that the city is on its way up.

My least favorite things about W-S are the fact that most of things worth checking out are so spread out, the outrageous traffic on business 40 at rush hour and the fact that any "nice" part of town is within a few blocks of a... Not so nice part of town.

Did I mention the sandwiches at Bob's Big Gas Subs and Pub?
Or the "brothers gin and tonic" at single brothers, made with cucumber instead of lime?
Or the cheap cost of living and ability to rent a 1920's craftsman house with a yard and a view of the downtown skyline for next to nothing?

I know a lot of people like to hate on Winston, but I think it's a pretty great town after you give it a chance.

mmk33

Bronze

Post by mmk33 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

DoctorSpanky wrote:My favorite things about Winston-Salem are the beers at foothills brewery (possibly the best beer in nc), the breakfast pastries at Camino Bakery, the coffee at Krankie's (they roast their own beans), the sushi at Mizu, and a pervasive feeling of optimism that the city is on its way up.

My least favorite things about W-S are the fact that most of things worth checking out are so spread out, the outrageous traffic on business 40 at rush hour and the fact that any "nice" part of town is within a few blocks of a... Not so nice part of town.

Or the "brothers gin and tonic" at single brothers, made with cucumber instead of lime?
Or the cheap cost of living and ability to rent a 1920's craftsman house with a yard and a view of the downtown skyline for next to nothing?

I know a lot of people like to hate on Winston, but I think it's a pretty great town after you give it a chance.

This is a great post, and as it indicates there's some very good stuff in Winston-Salem. In terms of housing, I would encourage future 1Ls to strongly consider living in the West End neighborhood or downtown. As Dr.Spanky says, there are a good variety of restaurants, bars, and other attractions in this area, and it is not expensive to rent an apartment or small house (anywhere from $600-$1000 depending on how big and how nice you want). There is also a shuttle to Wake Forest that runs from the hospital every hour (leaving at 8:15am, 9:15am, 10:15am...) and returning to the same location every hour (8:45am, 9:45am...). The shuttle is free for students and the trip takes fifteen minutes. I typically read on the shuttle or use my iphone to read news/send emails, so the time is not wasted. The location of the shuttle stop is on Eden terrace and Hawthorne Rd. It is about a hundred feet from The First Street Draught House, a bar/restaurant. I personally live a five minute walk from the shuttle stop, and its a five minute walk from my house to Bobs Big Gas Subs and Pub (as listed above) and a fifteen to twenty minute walk to Single Brothers.

From what I can tell a lot of law students live in the complexes to the north of school, where you also have shuttle service to campus, but the downside of that is that there is nothing within walking distance to do (eating, drinking, hanging out) and from there its a 10-15 minute DRIVE to the west end or downtown. So my two cents is that its a good idea to live in the west end, and maybe downtown (though I'm not sure how the shuttle service works downtown). I've known numerous people who live in a complex north of campus and complain that Winston sucks or there's nothing to do, and when they finally move downtown or the west end they do a 180 and suddenly they realize there Winston has a lot going on that they were missing out on. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:31 am

So how does this whole seat deposit thing work? Just send the thing in an envelope?

On W-S, I thought it was charming. A different version of the town I grew up in with less crime. I've lived in one of the most dangerous cities in the US for all of my life. I laugh out loud when anyone describes crime in W-S to me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:13 pm

DoctorSpanky wrote:My favorite things about Winston-Salem are the beers at foothills brewery (possibly the best beer in nc), the breakfast pastries at Camino Bakery, the coffee at Krankie's (they roast their own beans), the sushi at Mizu, and a pervasive feeling of optimism that the city is on its way up.

Yes. As a current Wake undergrad, I completely agree with this post. I hated Winston when I first moved here, but I have REALLY grown to love it. If I end up not going to Wake next year, I am going to miss Winston so much! Winston is also much artsier than people initially realize. Not many cities of Winston's size have their own opera company (which is amazing), symphony, and multiple theaters and art galleries.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm

I just got an email confirmation that my seat deposit was received. They said to watch for an email about an admitted students website (it will contain info on everything from housing to orientation) as well! Also got an email from the SBA president. So nice :)

TichoBlanco

New

Post by TichoBlanco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 am

ash0117 wrote:I just got an email confirmation that my seat deposit was received. They said to watch for an email about an admitted students website (it will contain info on everything from housing to orientation) as well! Also got an email from the SBA president. So nice :)
Nice! Sending in my deposit tomorrow. Received confirmation that I have a place at Crowne Park. Looking forward to going down for the ASD on Friday!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm

The seat deposit goes like this:

In your admissions packet, there was a piece of paper that was to be included with each deposit. Just stick that and the check in an envelope and mail it. Make the check payable to Wake Forest University, sent to Wake Law Admissions, Box 7206, Winston Salem, NC 27109.

If you went to ASD, the 1st deposit is $200, due April 15. If not, it is $500. The second deposit is $500, due June 15.

Hope that helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

charon

New

Post by charon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:56 am

Well, I wasn't selected for the Fletcher but I'm coming anyway haha. My deposit is already in the mail.

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:18 pm

So when is everybody planning on moving to Winston-Salem? I would love to meet some future classmates this summer.

EMH99

New

Post by EMH99 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Last edited by EMH99 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:52 pm

DoctorSpanky wrote:So when is everybody planning on moving to Winston-Salem? I would love to meet some future classmates this summer.
I'll be there August 1st!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:14 pm

charon wrote:Well, I wasn't selected for the Fletcher but I'm coming anyway haha. My deposit is already in the mail.
dear lord. there are more than 3 of you with 169~ LSATs? :shock:

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Not much new to add. Just didn't want to let this thread slip to page 2.

When anybody new gets in to Winston-Salem, feel free to PM me and I'll show you around town.

Also, super awesome NC beer festival at the ballpark on August 11. I went last year and it was a great afternoon. I highly recommend it.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:39 am

anyone look at the numbers from the ABA?

63% in anything that is long-term 9 months out. I always thought Wake outperformed its ranking. It actually seems to underperform.

DoctorSpanky

New

Post by DoctorSpanky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Link?

Also, that is worrying. Here's hoping things change for the better by 2015.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”