University of Miami - Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Prospect

New

Re: University of Miami - Class of 2015

Post by Prospect » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Alright it's time to take this thread off of life support.

Other than paying my seat deposit I haven't done much yet. I still need to get accept some of my loans I've been "awarded" (anyone have any guidance?) and send in the photo for my ID among other things.

Who else can't wait to move down? And for those that have been down to visit, what have you found you liked/disliked about the area? Places, entertainment, people, etc.

I'll go first:
Love the closeness of everything, i.e. I can walk from my apartment to school, and also to the grocery if I'd like as well as a number of bars/restaurants. The area around the school is great, nice area and looks like if you aren't demanding a wild night-life you wouldn't need to travel outside of it at all. One thing I DISLIKE is the parking, there's NOWEHER to park and when you do find somewhere, your paying to park there. They even charge you $7 to park in the parking garage to shop at the mall (Sunset Place). But hey, welcome to Miami. 8)

wobwob

New

Post by wobwob » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Haven't done anything except pay my deposit.

Also, haven't been down to Miami yet, but I am visiting in two weeks to look for housing. Definitely can't wait to start.

I think all financial aid awards are on auto accept, and you need to decline them if you don't want them. Definitely check with the financial aid staff.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah I haven't accepted my loans yet either.... not exactly sure how. Paid my seat deposit a few weeks back and apparently it is too early to start looking for apartments if you want to start paying rent in August, so I have to wait on that.

I haven't been down there in a very long time and was unable to visit during ASD, but Dean White has impressed me from what I have seen via podcasts on the UMwebsite. I guess I can say one thing I dont like is the price of housing... Damn expensive! I would like to live in Gables, but I might end up in Dadeland since I won't have a vehicle.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 am

MTBike wrote:Yeah I haven't accepted my loans yet either.... not exactly sure how. Paid my seat deposit a few weeks back and apparently it is too early to start looking for apartments if you want to start paying rent in August, so I have to wait on that.

I haven't been down there in a very long time and was unable to visit during ASD, but Dean White has impressed me from what I have seen via podcasts on the UMwebsite. I guess I can say one thing I dont like is the price of housing... Damn expensive! I would like to live in Gables, but I might end up in Dadeland since I won't have a vehicle.
the price of everything in miami is probably well above anything you're used to, unless youre from NY.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am

cass1230 wrote:
MTBike wrote:Yeah I haven't accepted my loans yet either.... not exactly sure how. Paid my seat deposit a few weeks back and apparently it is too early to start looking for apartments if you want to start paying rent in August, so I have to wait on that.

the price of everything in miami is probably well above anything you're used to, unless youre from NY.
You are probably right.... oh well! I have to move out of the sticks eventually

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am

Pic of the UM campus at night, apparently taken in January

Pic of where I currently live, in January

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 pm

MTBike wrote:Pic of the UM campus at night, apparently taken in January

You're in for quite the change, climatically and culturally lol!

Also, those of you who attended ASD and were wondering what the construction was across the way from the Law School, it is THIS! 8)

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Prospect wrote:

Also, those of you who attended ASD and were wondering what the construction was across the way from the Law School, it is THIS! 8)

New gym?

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:15 pm

MTBike wrote:
Prospect wrote:

New gym?
Nope! That's the new building for the law school. It will be opening in September 2013 as I have it understood. I was talking to one of the current students at ASD and this is what I was told.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Btw, I posted this question(s) earlier in the week in another thread on TLS and wanted to post it here since it makes more sense. Anyhow, are there any posters who are considering going to miami at sticker? If so, would you share your reasons for doing so? I'm a similar situation and am trying to look at the situation from ALL angles. I know that there will be MANY on here who will just disagree with going and I do appreciate the input; however, I would like to hear reasons for attending and not reasons for not attending. Thanks!

wobwob

New

Post by wobwob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm

elusiventity wrote:
MTBike wrote:
Prospect wrote:

New gym?
Nope! That's the new building for the law school. It will be opening in September 2013 as I have it understood. I was talking to one of the current students at ASD and this is what I was told.
http://www.miami.edu/sa/index.php/stude ... es_center/

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 am

Anyone familiar with the Dadeland area? The realtor I have been in touch with has found some nice looking places in the Dadeland area, I know it's not as nice as Brickell but it's not a dump is it?

elusiventity

New

Post by elusiventity » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:22 pm

MTBike wrote:Anyone familiar with the Dadeland area? The realtor I have been in touch with has found some nice looking places in the Dadeland area, I know it's not as nice as Brickell but it's not a dump is it?
No, it's not a dump. Depending on where within the general Dadeland area you will be staying, I'd go as far as saying that the ammenities are better then some on Brickell (e.g. complementary valet, gym, pool, etc.). Plus, Brickell is just a short train ride away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

elusiventity wrote:
MTBike wrote:Anyone familiar with the Dadeland area? The realtor I have been in touch with has found some nice looking places in the Dadeland area, I know it's not as nice as Brickell but it's not a dump is it?
No, it's not a dump. Depending on where within the general Dadeland area you will be staying, I'd go as far as saying that the ammenities are better then some on Brickell (e.g. complementary valet, gym, pool, etc.). Plus, Brickell is just a short train ride away.
The ones i've seen and liked are right across the street of the mall.... just south of it. They look like nice places around there... anyways that's good to hear, thanks.

NewOneLer

New

Post by NewOneLer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi UM Class of 2015!

I was hoping to ask you for a favor. My property professor, Ben Depoorter, used to teach at UM Law for 4 years. He's pretty new at our university and we only have 1 previous exam of his. Can one of you PM me his previous exams in property that you guys have on file?
http://www.law.miami.edu/library/services.php#exams
It would be immensely helpful for a noob like me to see his previous exams to get a better idea on what he's looking for on a final exam.

tim.janitor

New

Post by tim.janitor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:14 pm

How is the job market? Be very careful if you're taking out a lot of loans.

seanPtheB

Bronze

Post by seanPtheB » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:02 am

-

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”