0L Summer Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Lvaughn714

Bronze

Re: 0L Summer

Post by Lvaughn714 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:10 pm

monkey85 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Funemployment. My boss found out I'm going to law school in the fall and fired me :D
File for unemployment.
You need to distinguish between being fired and getting laid off. By "Funemployment" I assume you mean you got laid off, and are allowed to file for unemployment benefits.

Conversely, being fired means you don't get unemployment benefits.
only if you were fired because of intentional misbehavior ie you refused to do your job, follow rules, or something crazy like assault or property damage.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Funemployment. My boss found out I'm going to law school in the fall and fired me :D
File for unemployment.
You need to distinguish between being fired and getting laid off. By "Funemployment" I assume you mean you got laid off, and are allowed to file for unemployment benefits.

Conversely, being fired means you don't get unemployment benefits.
only if you were fired because of intentional misbehavior ie you refused to do your job, follow rules, or something crazy like assault or property damage.
Depends on your state. In Indiana, it's pretty hard to get unemployment if you were fired. (Unless your company sucks at the hearing process.)

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Br3v wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:LSAT instructor w/ kaplan. Nice closure to the LSAT experience.
How easy does one do this?
What is the cut off LSAT score to become an instructor?
It wasn't too bad. The LSAT cutoff is 90th percentile. You can submit a resume+cover letter online at the Kaplan website given that there are jobs in your area. Then you do an audition where you present an LSAT question. If you pass you have an interview with your would-be manager, and if you get through that you start a 5 week training course. You need to graduate each session to make it through. After this you're given a class and you go through the course.

As far as easy, most of it is dependent upon your ability to present in a clear and effective manner while maintaining your audience's attention. You're given all the material which you simply learn, so making it thorugh the interviews and training is prob the most challenging but not too bad if you like presenting etc.

Hope this helps. It's actually fun if you decide to go for it. Definitely a new and different experience with the LSAT.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:LSAT instructor w/ kaplan. Nice closure to the LSAT experience.
How easy does one do this?
What is the cut off LSAT score to become an instructor?
It wasn't too bad. The LSAT cutoff is 90th percentile. You can submit a resume+cover letter online at the Kaplan website given that there are jobs in your area. Then you do an audition where you present an LSAT question. If you pass you have an interview with your would-be manager, and if you get through that you start a 5 week training course. You need to graduate each session to make it through. After this you're given a class and you go through the course.

As far as easy, most of it is dependent upon your ability to present in a clear and effective manner while maintaining your audience's attention. You're given all the material which you simply learn, so making it thorugh the interviews and training is prob the most challenging but not too bad if you like presenting etc.

Hope this helps. It's actually fun if you decide to go for it. Definitely a new and different experience with the LSAT.
FYI: if you've got a 99th percentile score, there are a lot of companies that pay a lot better than Kaplan (I work for one). It is really, really fun to teach.

ETA: My partner and I are going on a 2-month trip abroad. Cannot wait to leave the country (but so much to do before we go!).

Bronze

Post by 1776 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Americorps

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Roadtripping across the country. Too bad gas has gotten super expensive since we planned this.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:39 pm

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:52 am

Good to know I'm not the only poor SOB for whom a trip to Eurasia might as well be a trip to the moon. I'll be lucky to get a three-day-weekend in Gatlinburg between now and the start of 1L.

It's interesting to hear that everyone has had to keep their law school goals from their employers. I'm either lucky to just too stupid to keep my mouth shut, but I've kept the entire office entertained (i.e. bored to tears) with tales of personal statements, LORs, and rankings since the very beginning of the process.

I even got a couple of letters of recommendation out of them. All-in-all they've been very supportive. It did take me aback when a senior vice president asked me about my LSAT studies at a company dinner. Didn't even know he knew! I do get the sense they are getting a bit antsy about beginning to look for my replacement, but I've been keeping them assured that a precise end-date will be forthcoming.

I'm debating between June or July to quit now. I'll be moving a couple of hours away, so I'm trying to determine how much time I will need finding a place to live, getting moved, and ensuring me and the "Mrs." are fully settled in before I begin the possible brutal 1L year.

wallflower1987

New

Post by wallflower1987 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 am

Finishing my Master's degree then working as little as possible for the last month and living at the drive-in movie theater.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legally blonde

New

Post by legally blonde » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
dingbat wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Working right up until it's time to pack, clean and move. Gotta pay the mortgage. :?
Seconded
An I will not tell my boss I'm leaving until I have to (three months notice required)
Three months? Are you an astronaut?

+1

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm

5 week vacay in Puerto Rico, Martha's Vineyard for a weekend, college graduation party hopping.....all while reading a little bit of Getting to Maybe and LSC. :D :D :D

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:57 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
dingbat wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Working right up until it's time to pack, clean and move. Gotta pay the mortgage. :?
Seconded
An I will not tell my boss I'm leaving until I have to (three months notice required)
Three months? Are you an astronaut?
I have to give 5 weeks (though they've had way more than 5 months since they're aware of my plans, and *I've* been the driving factor behind trying to find my replacement because it's a specialized position). Arbitrary notice time frames are more commonplace than you think.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Spending time with family, getting fit(ish), lots of whiskey, traveling a few times, and reading GTM and LSC.

Considering buying a couple E&E's/LEEWS as well, although the general sentiment is that they are a waste of time. Nevertheless, virtually every author of the "guides to 1L" on TLS did significant 0L prep. Thoughts?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:31 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Spending time with family, getting fit(ish), lots of whiskey, traveling a few times, and reading GTM and LSC.

Considering buying a couple E&E's/LEEWS as well, although the general sentiment is that they are a waste of time. Nevertheless, virtually every author of the "guides to 1L" on TLS did significant 0L prep. Thoughts?
E&Es would be over the top to read 0L summer and IMO a waste of time. LEEWS (buy it used) and skimming GTM are both worthwhile. Aside from that, enjoy your summer, spend time with loved ones, relax. You will not have time to do these things when 1L starts.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Last edited by fingerscrossedxx on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 pm

I hadn't heard of those acronyms (i.e. LEEWS) before this thread. It amazes me how much I've learned during my months browsing this site. That looks like something that I would like to look over myself!

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll just keep on working through july. Picked up E&E's for my fall classes and I've been reading them during downtime at work, but mostly because I've been enjoying them. And I'm halfway through Cherminsky's Con law. *whistles innocently*

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:33 pm

About a month before I am moving into my new place, then going on a weeklong fishing trip in Canada followed by a week in Vegas. Going to try and finish off my list of books I wanted to read before I get too busy with school to get much quality lit time in.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:50 pm

This is one of the happier threads on TLS.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I considered posting one of those "what would you do if you were me" threads but never got around to it. My situation is that I have accrued 60+ leave days from, well, never taking it nor having the opportunity to do so. I am only allowed to take 60 on the back end of leaving my job, but it is all paid. So, I guess it is similar to a teacher over the summer.

Problem is I can't really go too far since the wife is gone til December and I need to take care of my house and pets. I'm thinking of taking just a bunch of short trips. I live in CO, so there's no shortage of things to do. But I also want to make the best use of my time while I have it. Input is welcome.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:I'll just keep on working through july. Picked up E&E's for my fall classes and I've been reading them during downtime at work, but mostly because I've been enjoying them. And I'm halfway through Cherminsky's Con law. *whistles innocently*
+1 I've been working on a contracts E&E, but will only be reading over the first few chapters in each subject. It's impossible to know what one's professors will focus on for class beyond the very basics.

I'm staying at my office through the end of June, and then going to spend the summer vacationing with my spouse, reading fiction, and trying to become as fluent in a second language as possible before law school (gracias, Rosetta Stone).

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm

haaaaaa im tryin to get a paid internship to help pay for my fun and destressing 1L year and to get a jump on not being in debt WOOOO... plus this blondie needs a new car =[. Def spending at least a week in OBX tho and a week or two back up at school after grad bartouring. Spending last summer in Europe and not working may have been a poor choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akakak

New

Post by akakak » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:38 pm

working. climbing mt whitney. reading the longest novels i own that i haven't read yet because i know it'll be a long time before i could even think of tackling something so large. also on my list this summer is to prep a bunch of meals and put them in the freezer so i wont have to cook much for the first month of school. and putting together a few nice outfits. thats the type of prep i hope will be more beneficial than reading about torts. we'll see.

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm

For the poor kids here, what are people planning on doing job-wise? Does LSAT tutoring pay decently?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm going to manny for my sisters and do some reading, maybe find part time work.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:45 pm

theduffman wrote:For the poor kids here, what are people planning on doing job-wise? Does LSAT tutoring pay decently?
LSAT tutoring does but you need to be able to get into Princeton or Kaplan. In my city you need connections to do so...because it's such an illustrious job.

I found a job with my undergrad university for the summer. Does your school hire graduating seniors for temp positions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”