American 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
PinkRevolver

New

Re: American 2015

Post by PinkRevolver » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 am

ak362 wrote:Without publicly outing myself, I'll just say that I summered at a DC biglaw firm, worked for a judge, and will be clerking for an Article III court post-graduation (returning to the firm afterwards).

Class rank? Law Review? Connections? Please. :)

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

PinkRevolver wrote:
ak362 wrote:Without publicly outing myself, I'll just say that I summered at a DC biglaw firm, worked for a judge, and will be clerking for an Article III court post-graduation (returning to the firm afterwards).

Class rank? Law Review? Connections? Please. :)
Top 5%, yes, and none, really.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:05 pm

How hard was it to get to top5%? Tips?

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:32 pm

I got my financial aid packet about an hour and a half a go.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Jinomas wrote:I got my financial aid packet about an hour and a half a go.
....and?! don't leave us hanging :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

choccup

New

Post by choccup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I also received my packet. Not really what I was hoping for.

I don't want to give away too much about myself, but my choice right now is WCL/SIS dual degree or William & Mary, both basically at sticker. AU is close to double the cost of W&M out-of-state.
Last edited by choccup on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PinkRevolver

New

Post by PinkRevolver » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:28 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:

I got mine yesterday.....$7000.....so yea... =/

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:14 am

PinkRevolver wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:

I got mine yesterday.....$7000.....so yea... =/
$7000/semester?

andrew643

New

Post by andrew643 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 pm

We should make this a Facebook group...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 am

futurejdgirl wrote:

How hard was it to get to top5%? Tips?
There is no magic to getting top 5%. Doing your reading, studying smart and hard, and figuring out how your professors test using the wisdom of upperclassmen will probably get you there. Learn how to CREAC. Learn how to outline. Learn how to write a law school exam (TLS and GTM are great for that.) There's no need to gun.

As for the finaid, I know it's not the greatest. WCL is hands down an expensive school. It's also one of the rare law schools that focus on student retention (by giving a ton of merit scholarships post-1L rather than as the enticement inducing you to go to law school). They award merit once you've entered into the study of law, not beforehand. I think in recent years the law school has made an effort to award more pre-1L merit awards (0L merit awards, I guess), but they are still adjusting to this. I know this is frustrating for many of you, and cost should definitely be a consideration in deciding where and whether to go.

The high cost of living is a trade-off -- yes, W&M and Williamsburg (or any other school not in a metro area) might be cheaper, but you can't really work/intern/extern/etc. during the school year and network, etc. if you live in a more remote area. It's less of a pain to do OCI when you're already in the city and can just take a cab/the metro to your interview. If public international law is your thing, there's stuff unique to WCL that you really can't do anywhere else (e.g., the UNCAT project, UNROW, etc.). Same with public interest (admittedly, not my strong suit, but you get the idea.)

bwol

New

Post by bwol » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:15 pm

andrew643 wrote:We should make this a Facebook group...
On the my.wcl.american.edu admitted students page there is a chat forum and intro thread going on. Not exactly a FB group, but it's something.

Needaroomdc

New

Post by Needaroomdc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

We are looking for a third roommate to join us in this lovely luxury building in beautiful Cleveland Park. The building is a couple miles from AU. This unit is a real gem for the price. One bedrooms in the building rent for over $1,800. There is a private swimming pool, an outdoor grill, our own private double balcony with views that stretch to Columbia Heights, and an in-unit washer/dryer. The service is the building is also stellar (24-hour service guarantee, dry cleaning, 24-hour gym, etc.). I promise you can't find a better deal.

The room rents for $1025 per month.

The current lease ends June 26 but we need to re-up with in the next 10-14 days to lock in our rate. The new occupant would need to sign the lease in a couple weeks. You would not have to pay a penny until the day you move in.

We are two young professionals (male, 25-26) looking for a third roommate (male/female) starting in late June/early July. We are tidy, clean, and neither of us smoke. We are both avid sports fans and are drama-free.

The bedroom that we have available is 10 X 12 and will share a bathroom with one person. The bedroom is wired for cable and has a stunning tree view out on to Porter Street. The unit has a large and sunny common area about 14 X 20 that opens up to our double balcony. The common area is fully furnished and the kitchen is fully stocked.

We have negotiated a great deal on cable and internet and utilities tend to be quite low. You can expect your monthly rent to be about $1075 total. There is garage parking in the building for $150 per month but street parking is free and parking is generally plentiful.

The building is about a quarter mile from the Cleveland Park metro stop. I work at Farragut North and the commute is about 20 minutes door-to-door metro. The neighborhood itself has wonderful restaurants and is a short walk to Rock Creek Park.

I would encourage you to check out the building website for a sense of the common amenities. --LinkRemoved--

Here is a slideshow of the available room and the common space with in the unit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78812420@N04/show/

If you have any questions whatsoever, please be in touch (crestcd28@yahoo.com)!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm

I second this.

Deposited and definitely attending.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Just deposited! American, here I come!!

Jinomas

New

Post by Jinomas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:34 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Just deposited! American, here I come!!
How was your visit?

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Sent in my deposit on Saturday 8)

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Jinomas wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:Just deposited! American, here I come!!
How was your visit?

It was great! The faculty seem very approachable (I had good conversation with both professors who I did class visits with) and the students that I randomly talked too were happy, even though they all admitted it was expensive, they said it was very easy to find opportunities to be involved, etc. I mean, I really expected a lot worse, but the student body did not seemed stressed or anything. The classes were really interesting, especially if you're into human rights stuff. basically, everything that you've heard already - but it was nice to see it all in person.

The area is nice as well. The neighborhood is very quaint, clean, quiet.. and green. AU's main campus is gorgeous and the law school building is pretty nice. Let me know if you guys want pictures, I took a couple of the law school and the main campus.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreambig

New

Post by dreambig » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 am

+1

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 am

dreambig wrote:
+1
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109165645885333/

wintersm05

New

Post by wintersm05 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey Future WCLers,

If anyone is looking for housing, I am moving to Brazil for the summer and need to give up my part of this wonderful apartment! You will be taking over my part of the lease. The apartment is available starting May 31st but we can negotiate an earlier start date if necessary. The lease officially ends July 28th and then switches to month to month.

The apartment is a 2br/1bath in the great neighborhood of Van Ness. The room available is a good size (10'4" by 15'0") with a walk-in closet. The main living areas are shared and very spacious. There is an awesome balcony for relaxing after school. The $1280 rent includes all utilities except for $20/mth for internet. Garage parking is available at an additional charge.

The complex itself has great amenities: an olympic size pool, laundry facilities on each floor, 24hr doorman, 24hr fitness center, on site dry cleaning valet and ATM, free coffee station, social room & media center with computers and free printing, faxing, and scanning.

The apartment is PERFECT for WCL students and many already live in this building and the surrounding area. It is located right next to the Van Ness Metro stop (Red Line). It's a 20 minute walk to the WCL shuttle stop at Tenleytown or you can take the bus right across the street (H2). It's a minute away from Giant grocery store, CVS, the brand new Walgreens. All the other essentials are close by too, Starbucks, Potbellys, Gold's Gym, etc.

Your roommate is a Howard 2L. We are looking for either a male or female roommate who is clean, responsible in paying rent, a non-smoker and easy to get along with!

You can check out the building website here: --LinkRemoved--

Email me at michelleawinters@gmail.com with questions! I am a 2L at WCL and I hope to get to know some of you next year. Thanks!

midnight419

New

Post by midnight419 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:39 pm

The complex itself has great amenities: an olympic size pool, laundry facilities on each floor, 24hr doorman, 24hr fitness center, on site dry cleaning valet and ATM, free coffee station, social room & media center with computers and free printing, faxing, and scanning.
The complex has a 50 meter pool??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

user1212

New

Post by user1212 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Anyone admitted Part-Time? I am on the waitlist and just received an email about PT admission, but I would rather go FT. AU is my first choice though and I am considering PT... Is everyone attending PT going to be working full-time as well? My current job in DC is pretty demanding and I often have to work late, so I am a bit worried about working and going to school. Does anybody have any plus/cons to attending part-time?

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Mon May 07, 2012 12:59 pm

user1212 wrote:Anyone admitted Part-Time? I am on the waitlist and just received an email about PT admission, but I would rather go FT. AU is my first choice though and I am considering PT... Is everyone attending PT going to be working full-time as well? My current job in DC is pretty demanding and I often have to work late, so I am a bit worried about working and going to school. Does anybody have any plus/cons to attending part-time?
Sent you a PM

jillianm610

New

Post by jillianm610 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:00 pm

z0rk wrote:
user1212 wrote:Anyone admitted Part-Time? I am on the waitlist and just received an email about PT admission, but I would rather go FT. AU is my first choice though and I am considering PT... Is everyone attending PT going to be working full-time as well? My current job in DC is pretty demanding and I often have to work late, so I am a bit worried about working and going to school. Does anybody have any plus/cons to attending part-time?
Sent you a PM
I'm about to start AU pt while working a full time job. I was originally accepted as a ft student, but then got a new job that I don't want to leave, so I asked to switch to ft. Zork, if you have any insight into what it's like to work and go to school I'd love to hear it too!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:10 pm

jillianm610 wrote:
z0rk wrote:
Sent you a PM
I'm about to start AU pt while working a full time job. I was originally accepted as a ft student, but then got a new job that I don't want to leave, so I asked to switch to ft. Zork, if you have any insight into what it's like to work and go to school I'd love to hear it too!
Jillian, I apologize for my lack of prompt response. A fellow student pointed out that I missed responding to this when we met at a happy hour. A private message will be in your inbox shortly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”