Alabama c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
murray18

Bronze

Alabama c/o 2015

Post by murray18 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey folks. Sending in my deposit at Bama sometime next week, so I figured I'd start up a thread for us to talk about housing, classes, etc. Plus I suppose we should all get to know each other (as much as one can on an internet forum).

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Re: Alabama c/o 2015

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 pm

murray18 wrote:Hey folks. Sending in my deposit at Bama sometime next week, so I figured I'd start up a thread for us to talk about housing, classes, etc. Plus I suppose we should all get to know each other (as much as one can on an internet forum).
Same here.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll be at Bama in the fall also. Anyone have an idea of which apartments most LS students prefer?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm

I don't know what law students prefer, but at the open house I found a list of recommended apartments on a semi-hidden table. I'm sure they would email you a copy if you don't have one, or I could do the same (if I can find an operating scanner). I'm looking pretty seriously at Bent Tree apartments, which is 5-10 blocks south of the stadium.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

murray18 wrote:I don't know what law students prefer, but at the open house I found a list of recommended apartments on a semi-hidden table. I'm sure they would email you a copy if you don't have one, or I could do the same (if I can find an operating scanner). I'm looking pretty seriously at Bent Tree apartments, which is 5-10 blocks south of the stadium.
Yea I got the apartment finder and another brochure about apartments in my admissions packet. I've been looking through them, I'm just trying to get a feel one which ones I might want to avoid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RollTideAL90

New

Post by RollTideAL90 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:39 pm

As a Bama undergrad and law school hopeful, I would say try to avoid the Retreat and Sterling Crimson/Crimson living. While the apartments are very nice they tend to have a large party scene which may not be the best environment for law students. Bent Tree is not in the best area of town and the ceilings are pretty low but the rent is manageable. Let me know if you have any other questions about apartments.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:22 pm

RollTideAL90 wrote:As a Bama undergrad and law school hopeful, I would say try to avoid the Retreat and Sterling Crimson/Crimson living. While the apartments are very nice they tend to have a large party scene which may not be the best environment for law students. Bent Tree is not in the best area of town and the ceilings are pretty low but the rent is manageable. Let me know if you have any other questions about apartments.
Thanks!

Which apartments would you recommend? I've heard The Reserve is nice for law students though they look like the most expensive option. There's seems to be a lot of decent options in the brochure (but it's tough to know without a fell for the surrounding area, party level, etc). I definitely be visiting The Reserve when I go down to visit the campus though.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:48 pm

I went to UA for undergrad as well, and for apartments close to campus I might suggest Midtown Village, University Downs (though they might have sustained damage from the tornado), or The Bluff. The Reserve is very nice, though a bit further from campus, and more expensive than the others most likely.

If you're looking for a nice place (and willing to pay for it), you might want to look at The Chimes.

Also, as mentioned, The Retreat and The Woodlands are nice and fun, though more targeted at undergrads. They definitely are party areas.

AndrewMSH

New

Post by AndrewMSH » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:37 am

Checkin in boys. Rotad

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:19 am

When is the deposit due?

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:35 pm

Real Madrid wrote:When is the deposit due?
April 1

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:48 pm

I am a 2L at Bama, let me know if I can be of help. I was lost and did not know anything about the law or law school before enrolling, so I would love to help out any in similar situations.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:53 pm

RMFT12 wrote:I am a 2L at Bama, let me know if I can be of help. I was lost and did not know anything about the law or law school before enrolling, so I would love to help out any in similar situations.
hey thanks for answering questions!

how do you like Tuscaloosa so far?

Does the class have more of a competitive or laid back feel? How diverse is the law school?

Do most of your classmates have jobs lined up for the summer?

Have any idea what the class rank cutoffs are for most firms in Alabama?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Sorry if I mess up this formatting, I am new to this

1) I like Tuscaloosa alot, especially during football season. There are plenty of bars, music, etc. for nightlife.

2) Based on talkking with friends at other schools, I think Alabama has a much more laid back atmosphere than other schools. While any law school will be competitive due to the curve, people are generally willing to help you out with notes, etc.

3) The law school is fairly diverse racially, but is predominantly white (I don't know the breakdown).

4) Most people do not have summer jobs lined up, it is very difficult to find SAs unless you are towards the top of the class (top 1/3) or have strong connections to a firm

5) It depends on the firm. In this economy, the top Birmingham firms are able to be very picky, often looking for students in the top 15-20%. However, there are still several other firms that come on campus that are either smaller or not located in Birmingham, and they will look at the top half.

AndrewMSH

New

Post by AndrewMSH » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:58 pm

Anyone attending the admitted students thing at the end of March?

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:42 pm

RMFT12 wrote:
4) Most people do not have summer jobs lined up, it is very difficult to find SAs unless you are towards the top of the class (top 1/3) or have strong connections to a firm

5) It depends on the firm. In this economy, the top Birmingham firms are able to be very picky, often looking for students in the top 15-20%. However, there are still several other firms that come on campus that are either smaller or not located in Birmingham, and they will look at the top half.
Thanks a lot,

When you say they don't have jobs was this in regards to firm jobs or are they having trouble finding any type of legal job for the summer?

Also do out of state students seem to struggle more with finding jobs? How portable is the degree in your opinion? (Do you think students are competitive for jobs throughout the SE?)

One last questions, which apartments would you recommend to incoming 1l's?

RMFT12

New

Post by RMFT12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:46 am

I was talking about firm jobs, and mainly jobs obtained through OCI. My point was that there are few summer jobs given out through OCI relative to the class size, so to have a decent shot at one you probably need to be in the top 1/3.

Most of my out of state friends who have secured jobs have found jobs within Alabama. There are a few who get jobs out of state, but this is mainly through the student's own job hunt or connections rather than on-campus recruiting.

Personally, I reccommend looking across the river at apartments- it is less of an undergrad party scene. This area is called Northport, but is still a short drive to the law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Alabama up 6 slots to 29. Anyone else pretty pleased with that?

AndrewMSH

New

Post by AndrewMSH » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 am

Thoroughly pleased.

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:37 pm

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:Alabama up 6 slots to 29. Anyone else pretty pleased with that?
As much as I hate to be a rankings whore, I definitely feel like"top 30" has a nice ring to it.

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Claude is putting together a list of one bedroom apartments for me and I'm going to go check them out this weekend. If anybody is interested, is be glad to report back with my findings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AndrewMSH

New

Post by AndrewMSH » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Definitively interested.

Someone on the other thread mentioned the Links which I'm going to try to go check out while I'm there. Unlimited golf but possibly not the safest place....but unlimited golf...lol

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm

AndrewMSH wrote:Definitively interested.

Someone on the other thread mentioned the Links which I'm going to try to go check out while I'm there. Unlimited golf but possibly not the safest place....but unlimited golf...lol
Just... damn. Don't worry, I'll DEFINITELY check it out.

MrBain_

New

Post by MrBain_ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 pm

The Links is not the kind of place you'll wanna live at for grad school. I've never lived there, but I've only heard negative things about the place. And how much golf are you gonna be playing anyways, seriously? Google The Links, tons of negative reviews. Also, I'm and intern at the PDs office this semester, and we get a ton of assault and harassment cases that took place at The Links. How dangerous the place is is actually a running joke between us interns...But then again, Free Golf?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:43 am

MrBain_ wrote:The Links is not the kind of place you'll wanna live at for grad school. I've never lived there, but I've only heard negative things about the place. And how much golf are you gonna be playing anyways, seriously? Google The Links, tons of negative reviews. Also, I'm and intern at the PDs office this semester, and we get a ton of assault and harassment cases that took place at The Links. How dangerous the place is is actually a running joke between us interns...But then again, Free Golf?
Well, to be honest, some people watch tv, some people jog, some people play basketball.... I play golf lol. So hopefully ill still be playing a good bit. But if its probably not the best place to live I think ill pass on a visit. No need to waste my time.

Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a decent one bedroom?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”