Tulane Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
tulanetiger

New

Tulane Law Class of 2015

Post by tulanetiger » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:41 am

Anyone attending one of the admitted students programs in March? I assume we need to come ready to find a place to live.

pugilistjd

Bronze

Re: Tulane Law Class of 2015

Post by pugilistjd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 pm

tulanetiger wrote:Anyone attending one of the admitted students programs in March? I assume we need to come ready to find a place to live.
I think March may be too early to line up housing because most leases for housing near campus will be ending in May. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mzells

New

Post by mzells » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm attending the ASW during the first weekend in March. Is March a bit early to start looking for housing...? I obviously have no idea, but I was operating under the assumption that May-June was the time to look.

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:54 pm

did y'all conclude when would be good to look for housing?

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

theduffman wrote:did y'all conclude when would be good to look for housing?
I spoke to one of my friends who's lived in Nola for 3 years now. He says it's generally a good idea to start browsing for housing 1.5-2 months before you plan to move. He also said that Craigslist is a good place to look as long as you're wary. If anybody has questions about specific neighborhoods, etc., let me know and I'll ask him about it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Here's a Facebook group for the official Class of 2015! Woohoo.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/241876809241079/

ckelly85

New

Post by ckelly85 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Join and find out all you need to know about free iPads.

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm

ckelly85 wrote:Join and find out all you need to know about free iPads.
Forget free iPads. How can I make $4,508 per day by working at home?

painttherosesred

New

Post by painttherosesred » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:58 am

I'm here too :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Who went to ASW last weekend? I want to hear all about it!

painttherosesred

New

Post by painttherosesred » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:47 pm

TheFailboat wrote:Who went to ASW last weekend? I want to hear all about it!
I went and absolutely loved Tulane! I'm pretty set on attending there now. It wasn't the nicest or most luxurious of law schools I've visited. I was considering UT Knox and UT's Law building definitely kicked Tulane's butt. But that being said, that's not the most important thing in a law school. The presenters at ASW were realistic about job prospects. I don't think they made it out to seem like you were going to have guaranteed biglaw prospects or that it would be an easy road (because what law school can guarantee that?) but they did share stats and examples that made me feel pretty confident I would have options after graduation. If you're not set on biglaw, I think Tulane is a great place to be. The best thing about Tulane is definitely the city! The vibe of the school and of new Orleans is pretty amazing. I don't think it is everyone's style though, so I would definitely recommend for anyone that is seriously considering attending to go check it out in person. If anyone has specific questions about Tulane or ASW, I'd be glad to give you my take on it :) I'm very excited to be there in the fall!

Oh, and I'd really love to find a roommate, so if anyone is sure they're attending and is also looking for a roommate, PM me!

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:05 pm

So, I may be withdrawing from UVA to come to Tulane next year... this is a tough choice..

alexonfyre

Bronze

Post by alexonfyre » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:12 pm

theduffman wrote:So, I may be withdrawing from UVA to come to Tulane next year... this is a tough choice..
The dubiousness of this post cannot be overstated.

For those wondering about housing, it is best to come to the city and drive around the neighborhood you want to live in (Uptown is close to campus, Garden District is nicer/more expensive, Mid-City is cheaper/farther away, downtown is expensive and farther away, but it's downtown...)

NOLA can be a really old-fashioned city sometimes, and one of those times is when it comes to real estate. Lots of the apartments are from private renters and many of them put a sign up and never post on craigslist or anywhere.

It is also important that you meet your landlord in person, even though I haven't personally experienced a bad one, it isn't worth being stuck with one for a year or more.

I would probably set aside a three-day weekend between 1-2 months before you plan on moving in and see as many places as you can. Try to hammer out an agreement before you leave so that you can get a date and move right in. Since most of the places you will find only have a couple of rooms, you can't expect to find another room in the same place if the one you looked at is taken by someone else. Most of the places are in older buildings, and usually a house that has been sectioned off for apartment style living. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the issues that come with living in an older house so that you know what questions to ask (i.e. is the house insulated, does it have weather-proof windows, etc.) It can be charming in it's European way, but it can also be quite uncomfortable if you aren't diligent.

I'll post again if I can think of anything else, if you have any other questions about the city or anything, feel free to ask.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am

alexonfyre wrote:
theduffman wrote:So, I may be withdrawing from UVA to come to Tulane next year... this is a tough choice..

For those wondering about housing, it is best to come to the city and drive around the neighborhood you want to live in (Uptown is close to campus, Garden District is nicer/more expensive, Mid-City is cheaper/farther away, downtown is expensive and farther away, but it's downtown...)

NOLA can be a really old-fashioned city sometimes, and one of those times is when it comes to real estate. Lots of the apartments are from private renters and many of them put a sign up and never post on craigslist or anywhere.

It is also important that you meet your landlord in person, even though I haven't personally experienced a bad one, it isn't worth being stuck with one for a year or more.

I would probably set aside a three-day weekend between 1-2 months before you plan on moving in and see as many places as you can. Try to hammer out an agreement before you leave so that you can get a date and move right in. Since most of the places you will find only have a couple of rooms, you can't expect to find another room in the same place if the one you looked at is taken by someone else. Most of the places are in older buildings, and usually a house that has been sectioned off for apartment style living. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the issues that come with living in an older house so that you know what questions to ask (i.e. is the house insulated, does it have weather-proof windows, etc.) It can be charming in it's European way, but it can also be quite uncomfortable if you aren't diligent.

I'll post again if I can think of anything else, if you have any other questions about the city or anything, feel free to ask.
Any idea what's considered a decent rent price for the Uptown area? My friend/future roommate found a 3-bedroom place about a mile from Tulane right on the street car line. It would be $750 per person, but it's furnished with a security system and includes ALL utilities (even cable and Internet)...worth it?

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:26 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
I'm for real! I've made some threads about this, but basically:
want to practice in New Orleans
love New Orleans
huge price difference...

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm officially committed now. Can't wait to get to NOLA!

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:13 pm

dextermorgan wrote:I'm officially committed now. Can't wait to get to NOLA!
I'm particularly excited about this because of your user name.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:26 pm

TheFailboat wrote:
btw your profile picture is incredible...

TheFailboat

New

Post by TheFailboat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:41 am

theduffman wrote:
TheFailboat wrote:
btw your profile picture is incredible...
Thanks!

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Just paid my deposit for Tulane! Gonna head down to pick out a place to live this summer :)

Panama2014

New

Post by Panama2014 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am

Hey everyone - Congratulations on your acceptance you are going to absolutely love going to Tulane!

I just finished my 1L year and am actually going to be transferring up to the DC area (it has absolutely nothing to do with Tulane not being amazing - I just want to be in Government and that's the place to be for that) so my fiance and I's place is going on the market.

We live literally next to the school itself. I walk to school each morning and it is a 5 min walk. We are also walking distance from places like the boot (very big tulanian bar) as well as maple street which has great food/shops/and Starbucks.

The place is absolutely gorgeous - it is the second floor apartment with a screened in front porch with french doors opening into the house. It has high ceilings, was just completely repainted/remodeled and has LOTS of space. There is a living room, office, bedroom, full bath, Kitchen (with side little breakfast area), and small laundry room. AND given the need for expedience in my move - for those of you with no furniture I am willing to offer the place furnished (but that is up to you really - I've got some nice stuff y'all can take a look at).

The rent is 1000 a month AND water is included in the rent. This is really a great deal and take it from me (someone who thought as a 0L that living a mile from campus wouldn't be "too bad") the closer you can live to campus THE BETTER. The electricity/gas has never been more that $50 each month. TV / Cable / Internet of course is up to you.

If anyone has any questions whatsoever please feel free to email me, jfiveson@tulane.edu. I can send you pictures or we can arrange for you to come by and check out the place.

BTW congratulations to all of you - you are going to fall in love with NOLA! If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a line as well, I definitely could have used a little more help on the front end when I first moved down myself.

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:09 am

I think it imperative to anyone who is still considering Tulane at full tuition to read the following:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

A Tulane faculty member admits Tulane at full tuition is no where near worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”