University of Washington Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
tc22

New

University of Washington Class of 2015

Post by tc22 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Didn't see a UW c/o 2015 thread so I decided to start one! Any other future Huskies out there?

bukowski

New

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Post by bukowski » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:21 am

Last edited by bukowski on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mzells

New

Post by mzells » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:48 pm

I've been accepted....still weighing my options right now, but Washington is definitely high on the list! Is anyone attending the Admitted Students' Weekend on 30-31 March?

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 pm

mzells wrote:I've been accepted....still weighing my options right now, but Washington is definitely high on the list! Is anyone attending the Admitted Students' Weekend on 30-31 March?
I'm planning on attending. I live in Seattle so there's really no reason not to attend.

holden147

Bronze

Post by holden147 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

mzells wrote:I've been accepted....still weighing my options right now, but Washington is definitely high on the list! Is anyone attending the Admitted Students' Weekend on 30-31 March?
I'm weighing my options as well but UW is waay up there. I want to attend the ASW but don't think I can afford the cross-country trip.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:25 am

Anyone know what kind of housing options UW law students typically use? Do people usually live close to campus and walk/ride? Or further and take the bus? The cost of parking permits are astronomical it seems.

rx15540

New

Post by rx15540 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Last edited by rx15540 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rx15540

New

Post by rx15540 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Last edited by rx15540 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:35 pm

I was accepted as well...and am seriously considering it, depending on the financial aid package I get.

I found this website to be pretty helpful for learning about the various neighborhoods, public transit, etc.

http://www.seattlerentals.com/explore_neighborhoods

Once you click on the neighborhood, it gives you a description of it--as well as rentals in the area. I've got a family, so I'm trying to figure out how far out I have to commute so we have a decent amount of space for a good price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 pm

rx15540 wrote:
tc22 wrote:
I'm planning on attending. I live in Seattle so there's really no reason not to attend.
Likewise :) I'm also in Seattle and will be attending.
Did you attend UW for undergrad?
No, I went to Gonzaga and moved to Seattle after graduating.

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

rx15540 wrote:
fosterp wrote:Anyone know what kind of housing options UW law students typically use? Do people usually live close to campus and walk/ride? Or further and take the bus? The cost of parking permits are astronomical it seems.

I commute to UW now and it is definitely difficult, but it works out to be much cheaper for me. In ideal traffic conditions, I live 20-25 minutes away from UW. I used to catch the bus/light rail which is pretty cheap especially since UW offers a super discounted transit pass (around $76 for the quarter for unlimited use of local public transit). Also, I should note that Seattle has a pretty reliable, clean and otherwise friendly transit system. I never relied on public transit until I started commuting to school and I was pleasantly surprised. However it would take me about 1-1.5 hour(s) each way. I drive to school now only because my classes start pretty late in the day so I don't hit rush hour traffic. Plus I only have class a few days a week so I just pay the daily parking rate and it is manageable. When I drive to school now, it takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to get there/home but commuting during rush hour traffic takes about 1 hour each way.
I agree that Seattle's public transit system is quite convenient. I commute from North Seattle to downtown Seattle for work everyday on the bus and have never had any problems. I lived in the U-District for a year and housing tends to either be super expensive or old/not very nice. In my experience you can find a lot nicer/cheaper housing if you get a little ways away from the U-District.

rx15540

New

Post by rx15540 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Last edited by rx15540 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

rx15540 wrote:
tc22 wrote:
rx15540 wrote:
Likewise :) I'm also in Seattle and will be attending.
Did you attend UW for undergrad?
No, I went to Gonzaga and moved to Seattle after graduating.
Oh cool I visited Gonzaga's campus once and I really liked it, everyone was really nice :) Are you pretty much decided on UW or are you waiting to hear from any other schools?
Yeah, Gonzaga was a lot of fun! I've pretty much decided on UW. I don't want to move and I want to practice in WA after law school since all my family is here. Plus, since it's so much cheaper than going out of state or to a private school, I won't have to worry about having as much debt afterwards which will be nice!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 am

rx15540 wrote:
fosterp wrote:Anyone know what kind of housing options UW law students typically use? Do people usually live close to campus and walk/ride? Or further and take the bus? The cost of parking permits are astronomical it seems.

I commute to UW now and it is definitely difficult, but it works out to be much cheaper for me. In ideal traffic conditions, I live 20-25 minutes away from UW. I used to catch the bus/light rail which is pretty cheap especially since UW offers a super discounted transit pass (around $76 for the quarter for unlimited use of local public transit). Also, I should note that Seattle has a pretty reliable, clean and otherwise friendly transit system. I never relied on public transit until I started commuting to school and I was pleasantly surprised. However it would take me about 1-1.5 hour(s) each way. I drive to school now only because my classes start pretty late in the day so I don't hit rush hour traffic. Plus I only have class a few days a week so I just pay the daily parking rate and it is manageable. When I drive to school now, it takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to get there/home but commuting during rush hour traffic takes about 1 hour each way.
I would be interested to know generally what area you live in. I was thinking about renting a room from a friend who lives in kenmore, google shows the drive at ~30 minutes for 10 miles, and the bus route time schedule puts it at 35 minutes from a park and ride near bothell. Is the reason your bus commute is so long due to transfers/traffic?

rx15540

New

Post by rx15540 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 pm

mzells

New

Post by mzells » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 am

holden147 wrote:
I'm weighing my options as well but UW is waay up there. I want to attend the ASW but don't think I can afford the cross-country trip.
Me too. I'm coming up from Austin, barely was able to cover the flight! Anyone know if Admissions is giving out some sort of stipend?

censored311

New

Post by censored311 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Got in earlier in the week. Also a Gonzaga graduate. As of now it looks like I'm attending, unless I somehow (unlikely) get into a T14.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rx15540

New

Post by rx15540 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 pm

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 pm

rx15540 wrote:Is anybody who is planning to attend the ASW bringing a guest?
I saw that we could bring a guest but ultimately decided against it. I feel like unless you have someone that might be interested in applying to UW Law in the future or law school in general, it might be kind of weird/boring for someone to attend a bunch of events geared towards future law students. I could be wrong though. I wish they would provide a more detailed schedule of events for that weekend.

Trig9793

New

Post by Trig9793 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 pm

cougarlive wrote:I was accepted as well...and am seriously considering it, depending on the financial aid package I get.

I found this website to be pretty helpful for learning about the various neighborhoods, public transit, etc.

Once you click on the neighborhood, it gives you a description of it--as well as rentals in the area. I've got a family, so I'm trying to figure out how far out I have to commute so we have a decent amount of space for a good price.

I have lived in Seattle my whole life, and am currently attending UW undergrad. Obviously considering UW Law, but will more than likely be attending UCLA next fall, if simply for a change of scenery. Here is my advice though: do NOT live in U-District. I have lived in this neighborhood for 4 years, and it is fun but dangerous/dirty/over-priced. Your website you are using doesn't appear to discuss safety or pricing issues. Also, commuting to UW is not as easy as everyone on this forum says it is: parking is hard to find around campus, parking passes are expensive, rush-hour traffic is bad, and the bus system is only good between certain neighborhoods (ie. U-District and downtown/Fremont/Wallingford). If you have a family and are looking for a safe, family-oriented area that is near UW (either a close and easy bus-ride or biking distance), look at Ravenna, Wedgewood, or Greenlake. Fremont is starting to have a younger vibe, with a healthy bar scene, but has a lot of residential areas as well. Good luck!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Trig9793 wrote:
cougarlive wrote:I was accepted as well...and am seriously considering it, depending on the financial aid package I get.

I have lived in Seattle my whole life, and am currently attending UW undergrad. Obviously considering UW Law, but will more than likely be attending UCLA next fall, if simply for a change of scenery. Here is my advice though: do NOT live in U-District. I have lived in this neighborhood for 4 years, and it is fun but dangerous/dirty/over-priced. Your website you are using doesn't appear to discuss safety or pricing issues. Also, commuting to UW is not as easy as everyone on this forum says it is: parking is hard to find around campus, parking passes are expensive, rush-hour traffic is bad, and the bus system is only good between certain neighborhoods (ie. U-District and downtown/Fremont/Wallingford). If you have a family and are looking for a safe, family-oriented area that is near UW (either a close and easy bus-ride or biking distance), look at Ravenna, Wedgewood, or Greenlake. Fremont is starting to have a younger vibe, with a healthy bar scene, but has a lot of residential areas as well. Good luck!

For some reason I just saw this. That's helpful. Is U-District really dangerous? I guess I just assumed since it was right next to the school it would be just a bunch of college students. I'll be sure and poke around a little closer when I go to ASW at the end of the month.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deadlights13

New

Post by Deadlights13 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I haven't found anything affordable or desirable (for a large family) in the area, so I will be commuting from Fort Lewis. I made the trip a couple of weeks ago and it took an hour and twenty minutes...not thrilled. I guess I don't really have a choice, plus I don't want my kids to have to change schools.

Has anyone made hotel accommodations for ASW? I was checking out the hotels nearby and they seem expensive, but I haven't stayed in a hotel in years so I wouldn't really know. Has anyone used the UW discount? I am curious how much it saves on the cost. I'm debating whether to stay at a hotel or just commute both days.

honeynutt

New

Post by honeynutt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:50 am

Last edited by honeynutt on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm

cougarlive wrote:
Trig9793 wrote:

For some reason I just saw this. That's helpful. Is U-District really dangerous? I guess I just assumed since it was right next to the school it would be just a bunch of college students. I'll be sure and poke around a little closer when I go to ASW at the end of the month.
It's a lot of college students, but also various crackheads and weirdos. This just happened: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... er06m.html

Safety aside, the area is pretty undergrad-focused, so all the bars and etc. are filled with 20-year-olds and the neighborhood can be kind of loud on weekend nights. I'd consider living somewhere else. Fremont, Wallingford, and Greenlake are all great options close to the school.

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 pm

No13baby wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
Trig9793 wrote:

It's a lot of college students, but also various crackheads and weirdos. This just happened: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... er06m.html

Safety aside, the area is pretty undergrad-focused, so all the bars and etc. are filled with 20-year-olds and the neighborhood can be kind of loud on weekend nights. I'd consider living somewhere else. Fremont, Wallingford, and Greenlake are all great options close to the school.
Incidents like that are not very common. More common, however, are strong-arm type robberies of students walking home at night with obvious laptop bags, smart phones, etc. I lived in the U-District for a while and both my roommate and I had our cars broken into and stereo equipment stolen. Even without the crime, the U-District isn't all that desirable. The affordable apartments are gross/old and the nice apartments are ridiculously expensive. I agree that you should opt for something outside of the U-District. I think I will stay where I am in the Greenwood neighborhood. It will be about a 40 minute bus commute to campus but I figure that is time I can spend reading/studying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”