Utah 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
coldshoulder

Silver

Utah 2015

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Didn't see one of these yet so I figured I'd start one. Who else is worried about scholarships?

go-the-bees

New

Re: Utah 2015

Post by go-the-bees » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Me. The size of scholarship from Utah will pretty much make my decision for me.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 pm

go-the-bees wrote:Me. The size of scholarship from Utah will pretty much make my decision for me.
Agreed. If it's big, I'm in-state so I'll have no choice but to go. If I can go for pretty near free...why wouldn't I?

YankeeFan2

Bronze

Post by YankeeFan2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Hope to be a part of this group soon!

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 pm

I worry about financing law school, but I'm not expecting to receive much of a scholarship from the U. With my numbers being as low as they are I'm surprised I was admitted as early as I was, considering all the people still waiting. Did Aguilar give anyone a timeline? He told me they'd start scholarship review in Feb. but didn't say when they'd send out notifications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:I worry about financing law school, but I'm not expecting to receive much of a scholarship from the U. With my numbers being as low as they are I'm surprised I was admitted as early as I was, considering all the people still waiting. Did Aguilar give anyone a timeline? He told me they'd start scholarship review in Feb. but didn't say when they'd send out notifications.
He said that they should be sending out decisions on scholarships by the week of March 5th at the latest.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm

Anyone know how to withdraw admission? I want to free up a spot for someone else here

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 am

landla wrote:He said that they should be sending out decisions on scholarships by the week of March 5th at the latest.
Was there a separate deadline to be considered for scholarships?

(probably just wishful thinking on my part anyway)

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm

bombasty wrote:
landla wrote:He said that they should be sending out decisions on scholarships by the week of March 5th at the latest.
Was there a separate deadline to be considered for scholarships?

(probably just wishful thinking on my part anyway)
No. I was told that on my admissions call, & when I asked the same questions, he said no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

utlaw

New

Post by utlaw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Yeah I was told March 5th as well and they seem pretty on top of things. I'm a resident so a decent scholarship might make it a nobrainer, plus it would be great to be in the new building as a 3L.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 pm

utlaw wrote:Yeah I was told March 5th as well and they seem pretty on top of things. I'm a resident so a decent scholarship might make it a nobrainer, plus it would be great to be in the new building as a 3L.
Exactly my thinking. The legal market/economy in Utah is better than a lot of places, and it would be so cheap. Numbers?

burndtscorcho

New

Post by burndtscorcho » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 pm

utlaw wrote:Yeah I was told March 5th as well and they seem pretty on top of things. I'm a resident so a decent scholarship might make it a nobrainer, plus it would be great to be in the new building as a 3L.
Who knows... the new building could lead to a fairly significant bump in the rankings. This would also be right around the time we are graduating. I get the feeling Utah is on the rise.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 pm

burndtscorcho wrote:
Who knows... the new building could lead to a fairly significant bump in the rankings. This would also be right around the time we are graduating. I get the feeling Utah is on the rise.
I doubt that the building would give much of a jump. They need to raise their LSAT and GPA medians and get more students into article III clerkships and NLJ 250 jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

burndtscorcho

New

Post by burndtscorcho » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:59 pm

coldshoulder wrote:
burndtscorcho wrote:
I doubt that the building would give much of a jump. They need to raise their LSAT and GPA medians and get more students into article III clerkships and NLJ 250 jobs.
I was under the impression that facilities played a role in how USNWR calculated rankings, but could be totally wrong. Agreed though... Better medians, NALP jobs and clerkships will help, but considering Utah is tied with a lot of schools, even a slight bump could put them in the mid 30s. Also thinking more long term, hopefully a new building and any ranking momentum will begin to improve the attrition rate for students with higher numbers and have a bit of a snowball effect.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm

burndtscorcho wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:
burndtscorcho wrote:
I was under the impression that facilities played a role in how USNWR calculated rankings, but could be totally wrong. Agreed though... Better medians, NALP jobs and clerkships will help, but considering Utah is tied with a lot of schools, even a slight bump could put them in the mid 30s. Also thinking more long term, hopefully a new building and any ranking momentum will begin to improve the attrition rate for students with higher numbers and have a bit of a snowball effect.
The facilities definitely matter, but it wouldn't be able to elevate Utah from the 40's by itself. Hopefully all of it will continue to improve.

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:07 pm

March fifth is fast approaching! (fingers crossed) Has anyone heard anything yet on the scholarship front?

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Scholarship info came for me by email! About 75% off tuition and fees, so I'll be at about $10,000 a year. 3.35 GPA Stipulation, which is essentially top 40/45% of the class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 pm

There is more discussion of the scholarships on the other Utah thread (in Admissions/Denials/Waitlists).

For what it is worth, I received an email Friday night explaining that I received a full ride (tuition, fees for out of state) plus a modest living stipend. There is a stipulation, and it must be accepted by April 2nd at 5pm.

Based on the other thread, it seems that people have been getting emails about scholarships throughout the weekend.

asanborn

New

Post by asanborn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:07 am

landla wrote:For what it is worth, I received an email Friday night explaining that I received a full ride (tuition, fees for out of state) plus a modest living stipend. There is a stipulation, and it must be accepted by April 2nd at 5pm.
Congrats on the full ride. I received a very small scholarship and hope to be negotiating it into something. Anybody have any experience negotiating with Utah?

jenkswarrior

New

Post by jenkswarrior » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Do we have a facebook page yet?

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:10 pm

jenkswarrior wrote:Do we have a facebook page yet?
I don't think so, we definitely need one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Who went to the open house today? I thought it was pretty cool. Also, I think I might start a Facebook group if anyone's interested.

bombasty

New

Post by bombasty » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Who went to the open house today? I thought it was pretty cool. Also, I think I might start a Facebook group if anyone's interested.
It was quite nice. They fed us really well, and the presentations were most informative. I'm still not sold yet, though.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:15 pm

bombasty wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Who went to the open house today? I thought it was pretty cool. Also, I think I might start a Facebook group if anyone's interested.
It was quite nice. They fed us really well, and the presentations were most informative. I'm still not sold yet, though.
True, my only big negative is the quality of the facilities. I love all the criminal law clinics.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am

coldshoulder wrote:
bombasty wrote:
True, my only big negative is the quality of the facilities. I love all the criminal law clinics.
Can one of you expand on it a bit? I was unable to attend due to work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”