Notre Dame 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Lvaughn714

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame 2015

Post by Lvaughn714 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:09 pm

so is anyone else looking at housing yet? I'm really hoping to find a roommate to live at the eddy st commons. I know they are the most expensive but after for years in south bend I have learned that both security and limiting obstacles to getting to class (ie shoveling out a car and driving) are pretty much priceless. I can even count how many times people hour their cars apartments or houses broken into and I do not want to worry about that.

HapaForever

New

Post by HapaForever » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:so is anyone else looking at housing yet? I'm really hoping to find a roommate to live at the eddy st commons. I know they are the most expensive but after for years in south bend I have learned that both security and limiting obstacles to getting to class (ie shoveling out a car and driving) are pretty much priceless. I can even count how many times people hour their cars apartments or houses broken into and I do not want to worry about that.
How much does it cost?

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm

HapaForever wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:so is anyone else looking at housing yet? I'm really hoping to find a roommate to live at the eddy st commons. I know they are the most expensive but after for years in south bend I have learned that both security and limiting obstacles to getting to class (ie shoveling out a car and driving) are pretty much priceless. I can even count how many times people hour their cars apartments or houses broken into and I do not want to worry about that.
How much does it cost?
The 2 bedroom with 2 parking spaces is $1800. I know compared to other housing it seems steep but you are paying for intangibles like never having to shovel snow/de-ice your wind shield and being in walking distance of both school and all the restaurants, plus electronic access keys for security and alarms which is a huge thing for me since pretty much all my friends who moved off campus senior year had either their car or home broken into at least once senior year of undergrad.

HapaForever

New

Post by HapaForever » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
HapaForever wrote:
How much does it cost?
The 2 bedroom with 2 parking spaces is $1800. I know compared to other housing it seems steep but you are paying for intangibles like never having to shovel snow/de-ice your wind shield and being in walking distance of both school and all the restaurants, plus electronic access keys for security and alarms which is a huge thing for me since pretty much all my friends who moved off campus senior year had either their car or home broken into at least once senior year of undergrad.
I doubt I'll be bringing a car up, but the security issue is a big deal to me. The price is problematic though. I'll get back to you on this.

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm

HapaForever wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:
HapaForever wrote:
How much does it cost?
I doubt I'll be bringing a car up, but the security issue is a big deal to me. The price is problematic though. I'll get back to you on this.
You can subtract $90 from your half for parking then, it's not required.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

col.faith

New

Post by col.faith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:
HapaForever wrote:
How much does it cost?
This is at Notre Dame? If not, it's probably not relevant.

Personally, I think $1800 for a two bedroom is pretty expensive; the price almost rivals other metropolitans. You must have a lot left from you loan :)

Anybody know any studios near school priced around $500/mth? Does the school help students coming from other locations find housing or they are on their own?

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm

The 2 bedroom with 2 parking spaces is $1800. I know compared to other housing it seems steep but you are paying for intangibles like never having to shovel snow/de-ice your wind shield and being in walking distance of both school and all the restaurants, plus electronic access keys for security and alarms which is a huge thing for me since pretty much all my friends who moved off campus senior year had either their car or home broken into at least once senior year of undergrad.[/quote]

This is at Notre Dame? If not, it's probably not relevant.

Personally, I think $1800 for a two bedroom is pretty expensive; the price almost rivals other metropolitans. You must have a lot left from you loan :)

Anybody know any studios near school priced around $500/mth? Does the school help students coming from other locations find housing or they are on their own?[/quote]

Yes this was at Notre Dame. Also I don't know where you live but a nice place especially in a downtown area is gonna be upwards of $1000 just for a 1 BR...near campus is essentially prime real estate so for a new building that pricing is pretty predictable.

Clover village has studios within walking distance but they are closer to $650. You are going to have a tough time finding anything at $500 without a roommate or living in a fairly unsafe area of town which I would very strongly recommend against.

I have more details on Clover Village pm me if you want them.

col.faith

New

Post by col.faith » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:Yes this was at Notre Dame. Also I don't know where you live but a nice place especially in a downtown area is gonna be upwards of $1000 just for a 1 BR...near campus is essentially prime real estate so for a new building that pricing is pretty predictable.

Clover village has studios within walking distance but they are closer to $650. You are going to have a tough time finding anything at $500 without a roommate or living in a fairly unsafe area of town which I would very strongly recommend against.

That was not expected :shock: I always thought crimes like break-ins are not that prevalent in small towns like South Bend. That's good to know, I'll be more careful with the places I choose to live and my valuables if I ended up picking ND.

Thanks for the info. $650 is definitely reasonable. I'll pm you later if I needed any information on that.

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:23 pm

col.faith wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:Yes this was at Notre Dame. Also I don't know where you live but a nice place especially in a downtown area is gonna be upwards of $1000 just for a 1 BR...near campus is essentially prime real estate so for a new building that pricing is pretty predictable.

That was not expected :shock: I always thought crimes like break-ins are not that prevalent in small towns like South Bend. That's good to know, I'll be more careful with the places I choose to live and my valuables if I ended up picking ND.

Thanks for the info. $650 is definitely reasonable. I'll pm you later if I needed any information on that.
Don't let that turn you off ND though. I found that so long as you pick the safer places and are smart (like not putting an expensive tv in front of an uncurtained window or leaving your iPod in the car cup holder) that everything is safe. I'm just having a tough time with housing because I have severe allergies to mold and dust so it rules out most of the older and thus more affordable places in south bend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rolltide90

New

Post by rolltide90 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 am

Has anyone sent in their deposit yet?

magicbunny

Bronze

Post by magicbunny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 am

rolltide90 wrote:Has anyone sent in their deposit yet?
I think this is going to be the last night before I send my deposit... may everything go well in the next three years!

basketball law guy

New

Post by basketball law guy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:21 pm

I am curious since I will be doing the same thing next year- how much are the typical deposits?

magicbunny

Bronze

Post by magicbunny » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

basketball law guy wrote:I am curious since I will be doing the same thing next year- how much are the typical deposits?
$600 for the first deposit, $400 for the second

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FastLife

New

Post by FastLife » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:37 am

really torn between this school and GW. Will be cheaper by about 40k to come to South Bend, but I am interested in IP and am drawn to GW for that reason.

I really wish I visited both campuses but I elected not to. How do you guys feel about the job prospects and OCI?

candidate33

New

Post by candidate33 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a one week extension on the deposit? I'm about to email admissions and ask but I'm not sure what to say bc I don't have a good reason other than I took forever to make a decision, and now my deposit will be a few days late...

candidate33

New

Post by candidate33 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Nevermind just sent in my deposit!!! Looks like I will definitely be attending in the fall

col.faith

New

Post by col.faith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 am

Which housing is better? O'Hara or Fischer? I needed to catch a flight during the ASW, so wasn't able to join the graduate housing tour. Any current domer can shed some light on this? I know that Fischer is about $100/mth more expensive than O'hara, so does that mean Fischer is nicer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:18 am

col.faith wrote:Which housing is better? O'Hara or Fischer? I needed to catch a flight during the ASW, so wasn't able to join the graduate housing tour. Any current domer can shed some light on this? I know that Fischer is about $100/mth more expensive than O'hara, so does that mean Fischer is nicer?
Fischer has A/C and you split a bathroom with only one other person. O'Hara has one shower for four people.

col.faith

New

Post by col.faith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 am

zozin wrote:
col.faith wrote:Which housing is better? O'Hara or Fischer? I needed to catch a flight during the ASW, so wasn't able to join the graduate housing tour. Any current domer can shed some light on this? I know that Fischer is about $100/mth more expensive than O'hara, so does that mean Fischer is nicer?
Fischer has A/C and you split a bathroom with only one other person. O'Hara has one shower for four people.
Holy... that's invaluable information! Thanks.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Did anyone hear anything back from uni housing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”