Fordham Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
legallyblonde817

New

Re: Fordham Class of 2015

Post by legallyblonde817 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:37 pm

mijenks wrote:Made it official this morning with a deposit.

Only place I know of is Cafe Luxembourg a couple blocks north of lincoln center. It's pretty classy and the cocktails are really good. Price may be an issue though...I didn't pay for drinks last time I was there but if I had to guess, I'd say 14-18 per cocktail.
culture shock from 2 dollar long islands in my college town =[

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 pm

I'll likely be in NY looking for apartments around July 12-15. So, assuming I have a bit of free time, anyone want to plan a bit of a meet and greet?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:I'll likely be in NY looking for apartments around July 12-15. So, assuming I have a bit of free time, anyone want to plan a bit of a meet and greet?
If any of those days fall on the weekend, sure

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

The 14th and 15th are on the weekend, though I'll likely be flying back to LA on the 15th so I'm not sure what hours would be good for that day.

kenankurt

New

Post by kenankurt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 am

how do you all plan on finding an apartment? craigslist?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

kenankurt wrote:how do you all plan on finding an apartment? craigslist?
I'll tell after I've already found mine.

Oh good lord I'm gunning already . . .

padmapper.com and streeteasy.com are the usual CL-alternative suggestions.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm

mijenks wrote:

Appartment hunting in NYC is far more competitive than law school :)
Craigslist is a good place to start (all my friends used it until we could afford to use brokers)

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
mijenks wrote:

Appartment hunting in NYC is far more competitive than law school :)
Craigslist is a good place to start (all my friends used it until we could afford to use brokers)
Craigslist scares me so glad I have a house lol then again until last summer I was terrified of hostels too

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm

dingbat wrote: Appartment hunting in NYC is far more competitive than law school :)
CL seems full of brokers, even in the "no-fee" and "by-owner" sections. I can afford a broker, I'd just rather not have to pay one -- and certainly no more than one month's rent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm

mijenks wrote:
dingbat wrote: Appartment hunting in NYC is far more competitive than law school :)
CL seems full of brokers, even in the "no-fee" and "by-owner" sections. I can afford a broker, I'd just rather not have to pay one -- and certainly no more than one month's rent.
Yeah, it's a bitch

igel

New

Post by igel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 am

just paid my deposit!!!
i dont know why but im extremely happy now yayyyyyyyyyyy.......................
apartment hunting here I come!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am

For those going apartment hunting, keep in mind that you really want to be on the west side of the city.

Upper West Side is the nicest area you could live, but the most expensive. It's walking distance
Hells kitchen is more affordable and also walking distance
Chelsea if you're gay (serious. Not a dig)
West village if you're a hipster
Harlem if you're not afraid of living in a predominantly black area
Morningside Heights if you want to save money
Some people like Battery Park, if you want a larger place for less, but you'll be spending a lot on taxis (I don't recommend, but some people care)

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm

dingbat wrote:For those going apartment hunting, keep in mind that you really want to be on the west side of the city.

Upper West Side is the nicest area you could live, but the most expensive. It's walking distance
Some people like Battery Park, if you want a larger place for less, but you'll be spending a lot on taxis (I don't recommend, but some people care)
Jersey/bk/queens if you don't want anyone to ever visit you or you want to make at least one transfer.

Inwood is cheap but will be a LONG commute, probably as long as jersey city or an outer borough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:54 pm

mijenks wrote:
dingbat wrote:For those going apartment hunting, keep in mind that you really want to be on the west side of the city.

Jersey/bk/queens if you don't want anyone to ever visit you or you want to make at least one transfer.

Inwood is cheap but will be a LONG commute, probably as long as jersey city or an outer borough.
Don't live in an outer borrow (unless you've got family you can stay with)

mgar88

New

Post by mgar88 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Does anyone have information regarding the school's on campus housing? Are they recommended? Economical?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 pm

mgar88 wrote:Does anyone have information regarding the school's on campus housing? Are they recommended? Economical?
Probably a good idea if you're new to NY. It'll help you get your bearing and you won't have to scramble to find a decent place to live.
The price is neither good nor bad and the location is great.

(note: I'm basing this on what I've read about it and having lived many a moon in the city)

kenankurt

New

Post by kenankurt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 pm

dingbat wrote:
mgar88 wrote:Does anyone have information regarding the school's on campus housing? Are they recommended? Economical?
Probably a good idea if you're new to NY. It'll help you get your bearing and you won't have to scramble to find a decent place to live.

(note: I'm basing this on what I've read about it and having lived many a moon in the city)
This is what I thought from looking at the school's website, but for some reason I was definitely getting a negative vibe about living there from the current students at admitted students day last Sunday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:21 pm

kenankurt wrote:
dingbat wrote:

This is what I thought from looking at the school's website, but for some reason I was definitely getting a negative vibe about living there from the current students at admitted students day last Sunday.
If it were me, I wouldn't do it. However, it is easy.
Finding an apartment/room in NY is a daunting task. I don't think it's as bad as it was, but when I first moved to the city it took me a month to find my first place (I was doing the rounds staying on friends' couches)

When we used to interview new roommates, it could easily take a month each time. My experience, it takes a month to find a decent place and 2 months to find a good place.
Not everyone has that luxury. While you could find a place in a weekend, if you try hard enough, you don't want to be forced to take someting crappy because you've got nowhere to go.

tatertot

New

Post by tatertot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 pm

I disagree with the sentiment that you shouldn't live in an outer borough. I live in Brooklyn and commute to the Fordham Law area for work everyday. The commute isn't bad and the quality of life in Brooklyn is a lot higher for the $$. I lived near Lincoln Center for 2 years and did not have a good experience. I encourage everyone to keep an open mind and explore NYC beyond just the areas directly around Fordham Law; remember that NYC is a very commutable city.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:29 pm

tatertot wrote:I disagree with the sentiment that you shouldn't live in an outer borough. I live in Brooklyn and commute to the Fordham Law area for work everyday. The commute isn't bad and the quality of life in Brooklyn is a lot higher for the $$. I lived near Lincoln Center for 2 years and did not have a good experience. I encourage everyone to keep an open mind and explore NYC beyond just the areas directly around Fordham Law; remember that NYC is a very commutable city.
True... there are parts of brooklyn for which this is very true. I'm not that familiar with the outer boroughs, but I think Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo and Carol Gardens are very practical, are they not?
Queens is not worth it; the parts that are nice would make the commute impractical (compared to Brooklyn)
I'm not familiar with the Bronx, but I think outside of Riverdell it's again not worth the effort.

Do not go to Staten Island.

tatertot

New

Post by tatertot » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm

dingbat wrote:
tatertot wrote:I disagree with the sentiment that you shouldn't live in an outer borough. I live in Brooklyn and commute to the Fordham Law area for work everyday. The commute isn't bad and the quality of life in Brooklyn is a lot higher for the $$. I lived near Lincoln Center for 2 years and did not have a good experience. I encourage everyone to keep an open mind and explore NYC beyond just the areas directly around Fordham Law; remember that NYC is a very commutable city.
True... there are parts of brooklyn for which this is very true. I'm not that familiar with the outer boroughs, but I think Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo and Carol Gardens are very practical, are they not?
Queens is not worth it; the parts that are nice would make the commute impractical (compared to Brooklyn)
I'm not familiar with the Bronx, but I think outside of Riverdell it's again not worth the effort.

Do not go to Staten Island.
I agree that you should stay away from Staten Island--the ferry system makes traveling to and from too complicated for late nights at the library. Aside from those neighborhoods dingbat mentioned I think Williamsburg wouldn't be a bad commute either.

If you are coming from out of town you should plan on taking at least a week to find a place. Getting an apartment in NYC is a truly Kafkaesque experience for the uninitiated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:04 pm

tatertot wrote: I agree that you should stay away from Staten Island--the ferry system makes traveling to and from too complicated for late nights at the library. Aside from those neighborhoods dingbat mentioned I think Williamsburg wouldn't be a bad commute either.

If you are coming from out of town you should plan on taking at least a week to find a place. Getting an apartment in NYC is a truly Kafkaesque experience for the uninitiated.
I thought Williamsburg only connects to the JMZ line. If so, the commute would be impractical.

I will second that Kafkaesque comment, but disagree about one thing.
If you can find a semi-decent place in a week you're really lucky.

start looking on craigslist (and other sites) at least a week before you get here

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm

I'll be attending the LA Reception tomorrow. Anyone else?

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Welcome to the Fordham Alumni family!

Wait a minute, I just deposited, what do you mean alumni?

Well, we are having 2 alumni receptions next week in Los Angeles on Wednesday and on Thursday. Dean Michael Martin would like to invite you as his guest to either event. Notice is a bit short, but better to invite you than not.

The Los Angeles Chapter is hosting the Wednesday reception and San Diego Chapter is hosting the Thursday reception (but it is in LA!)

Please let me know if you would like to join us and I will send details.

I wanted to attend the LA reception but dean brown NEVER emailed or called me back after I asked for the details... wtf?!

ALso, this thread is kind of dead... I think I'm going to just live on campus... 3 people to 1 bathroom sounds wack, also 2k a month sounds wack, also their fitness room only has treadmills elipticals and bikes? no bench? dumbells? wack...

can anyone confirm or deny this?

per their website: Fordham University Lincoln Center Fitness Center

McMahon Hall, 2nd Floor
The fitness center on the second floor of the Residence Hall is equipped with Nautilus machines, treadmills, and elliptical machines. Hours of operation are 6:00 a.m. to Midnight. All faculty, administrators, alumni, staff, and students are welcome to use the fitness center. Guests are not allowed. All fitness center users are required to have their ID in their possession.

I dont really know what else to do being from a completely different city, I cant check out apartments so I think im stuck on campus housing for at least a semester

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue May 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Living on campus your first semester is not a bad idea if you're new to the city.
It'll give you time to explore, find roommates and find a place.
Welcome aboard

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”