Fordham Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
JCFindley

Silver

Re: Fordham Class of 2015

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Just found this thread......

Howdy Yall....

iaiava

New

Post by iaiava » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:02 pm

'm beginning my 1L at Fordham this Fall. I've begun the housing search and would like to move to NYC early August. Ideally, will be living with one or two law students. PM me with a bio and we can start talking about NYC housing.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:01 pm

dingbat wrote:
tatertot wrote: I agree that you should stay away from Staten Island--the ferry system makes traveling to and from too complicated for late nights at the library. Aside from those neighborhoods dingbat mentioned I think Williamsburg wouldn't be a bad commute either.

If you are coming from out of town you should plan on taking at least a week to find a place. Getting an apartment in NYC is a truly Kafkaesque experience for the uninitiated.
I thought Williamsburg only connects to the JMZ line. If so, the commute would be impractical.

I will second that Kafkaesque comment, but disagree about one thing.
If you can find a semi-decent place in a week you're really lucky.

start looking on craigslist (and other sites) at least a week before you get here
Nope, Williamsburg has the L line, which runs like every 5 minutes across Manhattan to the A and C. I used to commute from there the the museum of natural history. Just try to avoid AM rush hour. I have memories of having to let 2 or 3 trains pass before one came that had room for me to squeeze into. Now I live in Park Slope.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Hmm, has anybody checked out the fitness center at Fordham? Thinking of joining a gym, but maybe it makes sense just to wait a couple months and use the one at Fordham? Mainly want to know if it's a cruddy unpleasant space, because then I know I won't use it and I'll go ahead and join the Y or Equinox or something....

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:09 pm

ned wrote:Hmm, has anybody checked out the fitness center at Fordham? Thinking of joining a gym, but maybe it makes sense just to wait a couple months and use the one at Fordham? Mainly want to know if it's a cruddy unpleasant space, because then I know I won't use it and I'll go ahead and join the Y or Equinox or something....
I am going to start out with the one there then find a gym myself.... From what I read I think it is mostly machines; I much prefer free weights, but need to get settled and try a few before I pick one anyway....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

JCFindley wrote:
ned wrote:Hmm, has anybody checked out the fitness center at Fordham? Thinking of joining a gym, but maybe it makes sense just to wait a couple months and use the one at Fordham? Mainly want to know if it's a cruddy unpleasant space, because then I know I won't use it and I'll go ahead and join the Y or Equinox or something....
I am going to start out with the one there then find a gym myself.... From what I read I think it is mostly machines; I much prefer free weights, but need to get settled and try a few before I pick one anyway....
There's a NYSC on every corner, making them thè most convenient (but not the best)
Equinox tries to be more schmancy while crunch pretends it's more serious
All the major chains are more or less the same

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 pm

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
There's a NYSC on every corner, making them thè most convenient (but not the best)
I may just go back to the martial arts too, but haven't decided..... For me at least, fitness level is critical directly effects how I do in academic situations....

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 am

JCFindley wrote:
dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
I may just go back to the martial arts too, but haven't decided..... For me at least, fitness level is critical directly effects how I do in academic situations....
If you want a change of pace, there is a weapons expert in manhattan who teaches various traditional forms of "dueling". Not just fencing, but like Scottish broadsword, Japanese, etc. I plan on trying it out at some point. Oh, and for the ladies, there's the art of the dagger.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:25 am

ned wrote:
If you want a change of pace, there is a weapons expert in manhattan who teaches various traditional forms of "dueling". Not just fencing, but like Scottish broadsword, Japanese, etc. I plan on trying it out at some point. Oh, and for the ladies, there's the art of the dagger.
Stuff like this always interests me.....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dgb87

New

Post by dgb87 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Hey Everyone!

I'm a current 3L at Cardozo, and working as a part time real estate agent this summer! I'd be happy to answer any questions about housing you guys might have as I know the market very well! Feel free to PM me with any questions! Also if you need help with the hunt and want to use an agent, I'd be happy to offer a discounted fee!

Dani

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:16 pm

JCFindley wrote:
ned wrote:
Stuff like this always interests me.....
At one point a friend of mine and I wanted to see which style of swordplay was better - he had done Japanese style and I had done Fencing. We developed a point system and everything. Since he lives in New York I'm looking forward to utterly wiping the floor with him yet again. We have tentative plans for continuing on throughout the year - although I don't think Central Park would be the ideal location for such bouts in the Winter. But who knows, maybe the snow, rain, and cold will make it more exciting...

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:18 am

If any current students are lurking about, I have a question about course material. When do we find out what we need, and is it available locally or do we need to order it? Is any of it available in digital format? I hate lugging books around. Thinking of digitizing at least some of the reading material so I can go over stuff via iPad during my commute, or wherever, should the opportunity arise....

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:30 am

ned wrote:If any current students are lurking about, I have a question about course material. When do we find out what we need, and is it available locally or do we need to order it? Is any of it available in digital format? I hate lugging books around. Thinking of digitizing at least some of the reading material so I can go over stuff via iPad during my commute, or wherever, should the opportunity arise....
You can find out most of what you need ahead of time on the website, if you do a search for first assignments. You can buy most of the materials used in the bookstore or on Amazon, though by my 2L year, I had discovered Chegg and was doing it that way. Also, old outlines will be invaluable to you. Your 2L and 3L friends can get them through their journal outline banks, but most of the student affinity groups also post theirs on TWEN if you join. You can download any you need, or get them from friends, so there is no reason to buy them. Some will disagree with me, but the best use of your time is to tweak and rework old outlines, reserving the bulk of your studying for taking and analyzing old practice exams. You can do this with your classmates, and/or with friends on TLS if you need a respite.

As an aside, since you hate lugging books, most profs let you bring a laptop to class, but there are exceptions (and they'll tell you that in the first week of class.) Unless you are supremely disciplined, you should disable your internet access, or you could take notes by hand and type them later. The other thing you can do is determine whether you are likely to be cold called in a given class, and if not, leave your casebook in your locker (or at home.) Nearly everyone brings casebooks to class; I did not, unless I knew I would be called on for something I couldn't reference from my notes.

I hope this helps!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
ned wrote:If any current students are lurking about, I have a question about course material. When do we find out what we need, and is it available locally or do we need to order it? Is any of it available in digital format? I hate lugging books around. Thinking of digitizing at least some of the reading material so I can go over stuff via iPad during my commute, or wherever, should the opportunity arise....
You can find out most of what you need ahead of time on the website, if you do a search for first assignments. You can buy most of the materials used in the bookstore or on Amazon, though by my 2L year, I had discovered Chegg and was doing it that way. Also, old outlines will be invaluable to you. Your 2L and 3L friends can get them through their journal outline banks, but most of the student affinity groups also post theirs on TWEN if you join. You can download any you need, or get them from friends, so there is no reason to buy them. Some will disagree with me, but the best use of your time is to tweak and rework old outlines, reserving the bulk of your studying for taking and analyzing old practice exams. You can do this with your classmates, and/or with friends on TLS if you need a respite.

As an aside, since you hate lugging books, most profs let you bring a laptop to class, but there are exceptions (and they'll tell you that in the first week of class.) Unless you are supremely disciplined, you should disable your internet access, or you could take notes by hand and type them later. The other thing you can do is determine whether you are likely to be cold called in a given class, and if not, leave your casebook in your locker (or at home.) Nearly everyone brings casebooks to class; I did not, unless I knew I would be called on for something I couldn't reference from my notes.

I hope this helps!
I have a bad prior experience buying textbooks elsewhere only to find the professor changed the books at the last minute.
Do you have any experience with that?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:37 pm

dingbat wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

I hope this helps!
I have a bad prior experience buying textbooks elsewhere only to find the professor changed the books at the last minute.
Do you have any experience with that?
It's never happened to me, but I know Chegg (and some other sellers) let you return them. I don't think an LS professor would do it (at least not without VERY good reason) due to the high expense of the books. I have to say I do think renting is better and cheaper, not only for this reason, as long as you won't trash the books too much.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:59 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. I finished grad school in 2002 so laptops in class is a bit foreign to me. I'll give it a try though. My handwriting often leaves me baffled.

I don't mind lugging books from a locker to a classroom that much. I do mind lugging books around off campus though. That's where scanned copies might come in handy, or maybe just old fashioned photocopies.

As for selling used books, how much might I expect to recoup for my pristine used books? Does condition factor into price?

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 am

h
Last edited by lakers3peat on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tinydancer11

New

Post by tinydancer11 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Everyone!
I am new to this board, but have been reading up and it seems like some of you are still looking for roommates! I am moving into my sister's Astoria apartment and am looking for a roommate still! Astoria is a really lovely neighborhood and so much more affordable than Manhattan, and the commute takes 30-45 minutes to Fordham.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom with a living room and large eat-in kitchen 4 blocks from the N/Q/R trains to Manhattan. It's already furnished except for the extra bedroom. I'll be in one bedroom, you'll be in the other! I have one small, very friendly house rabbit :)

I'm looking for a female roommate, rent would be $865 a month plus half of the utilities (internet and electricity). Please let me know if you're interested, I am moving in August 15th (I am moving from Argentina), but my sister and her roommate could show you around before that if you're in the area, otherwise I can send you photos and info.

Thanks, and nice to meet you all!

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm

I will be in Manhattan between the 11th and the 15th looking for apartments. So real I can almost taste it. :D

Of course, I do not look forward to the 3hrs of airplane-sleep I'll be getting tonight. Ah well, I'm sure it'll get me in the mood to sign a lease really fast...

Also, if there's anyone able to hang out for a couple hours, I'd love to be able to meet a few of my peers.

halflink123

New

Post by halflink123 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Hey Guys

Fordham alum here - DO NOT go to law school UNLESS the school picks up a significant (>75%) of the sticker price. Just DO NOT do it.

All those articles about brutal employment for lawyers...ARE TRUE. 55% employed (and even that is overstating it). Do you want $150K of nondischargeable debt + 3 years of lost income (or more) and at the end of all that a lottery ticket for finding a job (a job that might even pay you less than you're making now?)

This is what happenned to me and a lot of people. Don't go to law school, law school exists to serve the professors and administration at Fordham (stroke their ego, pay their salaries etc) NOT the students.

You have been forewarned, my conscience was especially active today.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Am looking to get rid of the LEEWS Audio system. Will sell for $50. Everything is there but the handouts, which you can either find online, or just not use. Apart from the audio CDs, the system comes with a book, which explains basically everything from the CDs on paper.

Please message if interested!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm

halflink123 wrote:Hey Guys

Fordham alum here - DO NOT go to law school UNLESS the school picks up a significant (>75%) of the sticker price. Just DO NOT do it.

All those articles about brutal employment for lawyers...ARE TRUE. 55% employed (and even that is overstating it). Do you want $150K of nondischargeable debt + 3 years of lost income (or more) and at the end of all that a lottery ticket for finding a job (a job that might even pay you less than you're making now?)

This is what happenned to me and a lot of people. Don't go to law school, law school exists to serve the professors and administration at Fordham (stroke their ego, pay their salaries etc) NOT the students.

You have been forewarned, my conscience was especially active today.
a little late on this since we have already started. Thanks for the heads up and all but you do know the odds of winning the lotto are a lot worse than 55%, right?

halflink123

New

Post by halflink123 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 pm

@JCFindley - lucky for me, I've found that dbags don't absorb my views all too well. :)

I'll stop replying though because it's exhausting coming up with these pearls of wisdom

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:24 am

I'm a touch to busy being a d-bag gunner myself to spend a lot of time here now that school has started.

:D

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 am

halflink123 wrote:@JCFindley - lucky for me, I've found that dbags don't absorb my views all too well. :)

I'll stop replying though because it's exhausting coming up with these pearls of wisdom

hows funemployment treating ya???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”