Fordham Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
lakers3peat

Bronze

Re: Fordham Class of 2015

Post by lakers3peat » Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah I guess oncampus is what I'm going to have to do. The thing is I'm kind of an insomniac and I really would have preferred living alone but the studios come unfurnished and moving in a bed, desk, couch, etc sounds like a huge pain in the butt. Anyways I guess it wont be that bad having to live and share ammenitites with 2 other people, I just cant believe I'm going to have to pay $2,000 to do so LOL! P.S. Its not like I come from some podunk town, I'm paying 900 to live off of wilshire in LA right now so double that haha wow.

dingbat do you know anything about McMahon hall and its accomdations/is the fitness room as lacking as it sounds. I need to decide soon whether or not I sign up for a new gym.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Is McMahon seriously $2k per month?
That's nuts.
Just go on Craigslist or sublet.com and find a place in Hells kitchen for half that price.

Can't advise you on the gym front; just check out if it's any good.
If not, NY sports club is good and has a gazillion locations in the city

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 pm

($7,827.50 per semester)

I think this includes utilities and cable, but still ends up equalling about $2000 a month, plus you have to share a bathroom and kitchen with 2 other people

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 pm

lakers3peat wrote:($7,827.50 per semester)

I think this includes utilities and cable, but still ends up equalling about $2000 a month, plus you have to share a bathroom and kitchen with 2 other people
Utilities will probably set you back $100-$150 per month.
Personally, my first years in NY I don't have a tv. Cable plus internet would probably set you back another $100
$1750 per month can get you a brownstone apartment on the UWS (if you look hard enough)
Look to see what can be found online (look for Hells Kitchen, midtown, UWS) to get a feel for alternatives. It is difficult (but not impossible) to arrange long distance. Also keep in mind that many landlords have minimal income requirements

If in doubt, ask TLS (or pm me)

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 pm

lakers3peat wrote: I wanted to attend the LA reception but dean brown NEVER emailed or called me back after I asked for the details... wtf?!
I know, I only managed to get the info by writing to about 3 different people and calling a couple times. My guess is that the organizer wasn't able to access their email for a while and we rated pretty low on the contact list. Still, the reception was nice enough, met a bunch of alumni. There was actually only one other potential student there, and I say potential because he was actually gunning for Columbia Law, where his g/f was already admitted to.

As far as apartments, I wish I could say I was any better informed than you. Other than living in NJ, I've gone ahead and contacted a broker to try to find something for me in NYC at a reasonable price. Will probably end up in Inwood by going that route... But yes, NYC is way worse than LA. Although $900 off of Wilshire sounds like a really good deal. I'm working on Wilshire these days and it does not seem like a cheap place to find an apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 5:12 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
lakers3peat wrote: I wanted to attend the LA reception but dean brown NEVER emailed or called me back after I asked for the details... wtf?!
I know, I only managed to get the info by writing to about 3 different people and calling a couple times. My guess is that the organizer wasn't able to access their email for a while and we rated pretty low on the contact list. Still, the reception was nice enough, met a bunch of alumni. There was actually only one other potential student there, and I say potential because he was actually gunning for Columbia Law, where his g/f was already admitted to.

As far as apartments, I wish I could say I was any better informed than you. Other than living in NJ, I've gone ahead and contacted a broker to try to find something for me in NYC at a reasonable price. Will probably end up in Inwood by going that route... But yes, NYC is way worse than LA. Although $900 off of Wilshire sounds like a really good deal. I'm working on Wilshire these days and it does not seem like a cheap place to find an apartment.
I recommend Hells kitchen - close enough that you can walk, but not that expensive
Be prepared, NY apartment hunting is a sport unto itself

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Well, I'll be in NYC from July 11-15 in order to find an apartment. My hope is that the broker will be able to get us in somewhere nice that first day and I can spend the next few enjoying NYC, visiting the campus, and all that good stuff. We'll see, I guess.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:Well, I'll be in NYC from July 11-15 in order to find an apartment. My hope is that the broker will be able to get us in somewhere nice that first day and I can spend the next few enjoying NYC, visiting the campus, and all that good stuff. We'll see, I guess.
You're better off using a few different brokers:
1) some of them are scum of the earth
2) no Multiple-Listing-Service in NY (basically, unlike almost everywhere else, a broker only has access to apartments listed with said broker and does not have access to apartments listed with a different agency)

Book a different broker for each day (or, even better, 2 per day)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Tue May 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone have any NYC Credit Union suggestions?

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Tue May 15, 2012 5:41 pm

I've looked into it a little bit, and it looks like the only credit unions in NYC belong to government employees and their family. Otherwise you're stuck with BoA or some other MegaBank.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue May 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Shittybank is on every corner

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Wed May 16, 2012 12:20 am

I would be eligible for Municipal Credit Union. Other than that, however, it looks sparse so I'm considering staying with my small-ish local bank since they have a few branches in Hoboken and Jersey City if I ever need to do something at a branch.

And I just now realized that Shittybank was a reference to Citi and not to Every Large Bank Ever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 am

The problem wiht credit unions is that they usually have very few locations in manhattan.
if you've never lived in NYC, you don't understand that 30 blocks may as well be out of state

iaiava

New

Housing

Post by iaiava » Sat May 26, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm looking for a roommate to move to Manhattan in mid August.

About me:
24 year old male. I'm neat but not a freak about it. I like to go out but I am not looking to live in a frat house. I'm looking for a roommate that is also a law student, who is respectful of my space and my study time. I am looking to live somewhere in the Village or Hell's kitchen. I would like to be able to walk to campus if possible.

If any one in interested PM me and we can talk more.

dingbat

Gold

Re: Housing

Post by dingbat » Sat May 26, 2012 4:24 pm

iaiava wrote: I am looking to live somewhere in the Village or Hell's kitchen. I would like to be able to walk to campus if possible.
You'd like to live in the village and walk to campus?
I will be nice, I will be nice, I will be nice

Walking at a good clip, the west village is not less than a 45 minute walk each way, but realistically you're looking at an hour or more.
If you want to walk to campus, you're really just looking at Hell's Kitchen, the Upper West Side and the theatre district.

It would be stretching the truth, but doable to include Chelsea, the 42nd street area and maybe the rest of midtown and the lower parts of the Upper East Side, but that shouldn't be on your radar if you plan on hoofing it

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Mon May 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi all, just posting in here to let you know I will be selling all my 1L books and supplements (crim law, civil procedure, contracts) as well as Getting to Maybe and the LEEWS audio program. If anyone is interested, let me know!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon May 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Gemini wrote:Hi all, just posting in here to let you know I will be selling all my 1L books and supplements (crim law, civil procedure, contracts) as well as Getting to Maybe and the LEEWS audio program. If anyone is interested, let me know!
I'm interested, but only after I get my schedule (and can confirm the required books)

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Tue May 29, 2012 6:55 pm

I should clarify. I DO have some textbooks, but what I'm mainly interested in selling off are my SUPPLEMENTS. Supplements generally apply to any class.

I also have Getting to Maybe and the LEEWS audio system. Can be sold separately or together.

Munchkin318

New

Post by Munchkin318 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:42 am

Hi everyone! I just deposited today and went hunting for this thread. Looks like there aren't that many of us on here! Anyways I'm with everyone on this nightmare apartment hunt but at least I have two roomies set up already. Anyone know the best areas of Brooklyn to look in? I've accepted that there will be a hellish commute...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:Hi everyone! I just deposited today and went hunting for this thread. Looks like there aren't that many of us on here! Anyways I'm with everyone on this nightmare apartment hunt but at least I have two roomies set up already. Anyone know the best areas of Brooklyn to look in? I've accepted that there will be a hellish commute...
If you can find a place near the A train, the commute is not bad at all. Brooklyn Heights & Prospect Park are both good places to be (probably Prospect Park)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tatertot

New

Post by tatertot » Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Munchkin318 wrote:Hi everyone! I just deposited today and went hunting for this thread. Looks like there aren't that many of us on here! Anyways I'm with everyone on this nightmare apartment hunt but at least I have two roomies set up already. Anyone know the best areas of Brooklyn to look in? I've accepted that there will be a hellish commute...
You have tons of options, but anyting further than about 4 stops into Brooklyn is likely to yield a 1-hour plus commute. Look off of the B, D and even F train as well the A. Due to the way the trains run in Manhattan the B, D and F may actually get you to school faster than the A. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 pm

tatertot wrote:
You have tons of options, but anyting further than about 4 stops into Brooklyn is likely to yield a 1-hour plus commute. Look off of the B, D and even F train as well the A. Due to the way the trains run in Manhattan the B, D and F may actually get you to school faster than the A. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
I am willing to accept the above for the B and the D, but not the F

As an FYI, excluding wait times and delays, taking the A train from
Fordham to the end of thè line is about 55 minutes

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Thu May 31, 2012 3:16 pm

I ended up getting a place on the east side. There's a lot in Spanish Harlem that is affordable, although the commute is tough. I'll be riding a bike through CP on nice days and taking M96 + subway on less nice days. Sure, it will suck sometimes but, on the other hand, I have a private backyard :D

If anyone is interested, I worked with a nice broker who had some great UWS listings, I'd be happy to give you his contact info.

Welcome to all the recent WL admits!

tibbs1179

New

Post by tibbs1179 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:51 pm

I'll be commuting from Brooklyn as well. I have lived in Clinton Hill near Fort Greene for 6.5 years now, and my commute isn't terrible: about 35 - 45 minutes. I'm a block away from the C train, and that takes me right to 60th Street at Columbus Circle, a less-than-five-minute walk from campus. I would highly recommend my neighborhood, and I believe there are still affordable places to be found here.

More broadly, I would recommend any neighborhood north and west of Prospect Park that lies along the A,B,C, or D trains (all of which are a straight shot to Columbus Circle). Those neighborhoods include Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, and DUMBO. I recently helped my girlfriend look for an apartment in all of these areas, and I was surprised by the number of affordable options, especially for people coming in with roommates.

Hope this helps!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”