Fordham Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
kenankurt

New

Re: Fordham Class of 2015

Post by kenankurt » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Just got an acceptance via email today! I'll be going to the admitted students day on April 15, anyone else?

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Since it looks as though Fordham is going to be 'the one' I just wanted to check in and say hi to my future classmates. Also, I was hoping that someone might be able to refer me to a good resource for people moving across the country (LA) to NYC. Although maybe I should mention that I'm most likely going to be living in Jersey City because job prospects for my wife are better in NJ than NY.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:09 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:Since it looks as though Fordham is going to be 'the one' I just wanted to check in and say hi to my future classmates. Also, I was hoping that someone might be able to refer me to a good resource for people moving across the country (LA) to NYC. Although maybe I should mention that I'm most likely going to be living in Jersey City because job prospects for my wife are better in NJ than NY.

I would also look in other cities/towns with convenient trains etc in that area of nj- some cities: Jersey City/Hoboken have been developing alot of newer buildings so it really depends on what you want to pay

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

legallyblonde817 wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:Since it looks as though Fordham is going to be 'the one' I just wanted to check in and say hi to my future classmates. Also, I was hoping that someone might be able to refer me to a good resource for people moving across the country (LA) to NYC. Although maybe I should mention that I'm most likely going to be living in Jersey City because job prospects for my wife are better in NJ than NY.

I would also look in other cities/towns with convenient trains etc in that area of nj- some cities: Jersey City/Hoboken have been developing alot of newer buildings so it really depends on what you want to pay
I think we'd be willing to pay up to about 1500/mo, but it would need to be within walking distance of a PATH station and have a parking spot available. From what I've heard Hoboken is likely to be too expensive for us, and I don't really want a commute that's over an hour long, so... yeah.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

or, for something completely different, you could try living in Edgewater and taking the ferry across :idea:
there are a lot of places in Jersey that could be applicable - will your wife only startlooking for a job once you get here, or is there a chance she'll be employed before you move?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:30 pm

dingbat wrote:or, for something completely different, you could try living in Edgewater and taking the ferry across :idea:
there are a lot of places in Jersey that could be applicable - will your wife only startlooking for a job once you get here, or is there a chance she'll be employed before you move?
She'll start applying as soon as I make my seat deposit (which will happen after USC gives me an answer...), so it's possible that she'll be employed, but I would imagine that employers won't be too interested in her until after we get there.

And I'll look at Edgewater and the ferry, thanks for the tip.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
dingbat wrote:or, for something completely different, you could try living in Edgewater and taking the ferry across :idea:
She'll start applying as soon as I make my seat deposit (which will happen after USC gives me an answer...), so it's possible that she'll be employed, but I would imagine that employers won't be too interested in her until after we get there.

And I'll look at Edgewater and the ferry, thanks for the tip.
Fort Lee and the surrounding towns are also a good option, if you don't mind taking the bus. Bergen County is nice and a lot of places are about an hour (or so) commute.
Honestly, though, it's probably better to live somewhere near a train - that covers much more (and more economic) grounds.
If for some reason she gets a job before you move here, then you should look near her work.
What kind of work does she do?

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Right now she's working at a pharmaceutical company in the R&D department, and her degree is in Chemistry. Entry-level work, but she's past the 2yr mark for work experience, which should rate a higher level of pay. From what we've been able to find most of the jobs that fit her degree/experience are around 20-30 miles away from the city proper, with more on the NJ side than the NY side. Labs tend to require more real estate than is affordable in NYC...

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:Right now she's working at a pharmaceutical company in the R&D department, and her degree is in Chemistry. Entry-level work, but she's past the 2yr mark for work experience, which should rate a higher level of pay. From what we've been able to find most of the jobs that fit her degree/experience are around 20-30 miles away from the city proper, with more on the NJ side than the NY side. Labs tend to require more real estate than is affordable in NYC...
The area outside of Newark/Elizabeth (Bayonne?) might offer the best opportunities. That area has a good amount of industry.
Whatever you do, do not live in Newark.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm

dingbat wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:Right now she's working at a pharmaceutical company in the R&D department, and her degree is in Chemistry. Entry-level work, but she's past the 2yr mark for work experience, which should rate a higher level of pay. From what we've been able to find most of the jobs that fit her degree/experience are around 20-30 miles away from the city proper, with more on the NJ side than the NY side. Labs tend to require more real estate than is affordable in NYC...
The area outside of Newark/Elizabeth (Bayonne?) might offer the best opportunities. That area has a good amount of industry.
Whatever you do, do not live in Newark.
Bayonne is pretty convenient to light rail lots of Chem industry there too my gram works for a petrochemical company there

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm

legallyblonde817 wrote:Bayonne is pretty convenient to light rail lots of Chem industry there too my gram works for a petrochemical company there
That sounds ideal for us. Now, if your gram can get her a job... :wink:

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:12 pm

legallyblonde817 wrote:Bayonne is pretty convenient to light rail lots of Chem industry there too my gram works for a petrochemical company there
Just so long you don't mind the smell
(seriously - Bayonne stinks. Live in one of the suburbs just outside)

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

dingbat wrote:
I've lived in some smelly places before. Oregon State smelled like different farm animals depending on which way the wind was blowing, and living for a couple years in a town with a paper mill gets you accustomed to some really bad smells...

Still, I'll more likely be in Jersey City than Bayonne so hopefully that will be a non-issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OnceUponAMemo

Bronze

Post by OnceUponAMemo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I've lived in some smelly places before. Oregon State smelled like different farm animals depending on which way the wind was blowing, and living for a couple years in a town with a paper mill gets you accustomed to some really bad smells...

Still, I'll more likely be in Jersey City than Bayonne so hopefully that will be a non-issue.
In addition to Bayonne, I would check out Edgewater, West New York, and Weehawken. I know a poster above suggested Edgewater for the ferry, but that is more expensive and there is no easy way to get from the Ferry stop on 12th to Fordham (believe me, I've tried). From all of these locations, however, you can get a bus to Port Authority (3/trip and about 20-30 minutes) and then it's just one stop from Port Authority to school on the A train. These towns will also be much cheaper than the city.

Good luck and I look forward to welcoming you this fall!

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:24 pm

Alright, so I put down my first deposit today and am commited to go to Fordham. Anyone else with me?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:41 pm

SDPalmTree wrote:Alright, so I put down my first deposit today and am commited to go to Fordham. Anyone else with me?
My deposit is coming over the weekend

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am

Sent mine in last night =] heyyy classmates

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 pm

legallyblonde817 wrote:Sent mine in last night =] heyyy classmates
And a hey right back at you!

I suppose we should all start to get to know one another since we'll be classmates in just a few months. I'll start:

I have a BA in History, MA in History of Science, like reading, writing poetry, and music of all types (though I won't actively seek out country or pop).

I currently live in Los Angeles, though I grew up in San Diego. I detest driving, and I consider my 3hrs/day LA commute as a personal vision of hell.

My favorite drink is a cabernet sauvignon called 'Nelms Road' made by the Woodward Canyon winery in the great state of Washington. Although I've yet to meet a merlot I consider bad, I find that the good cabernet sauvignon are much better than the best merlot.

Other than that, I don't plan on deciding on what type of law I want to focus on until sometime after I get started in school. Hopefully I'll find an area to be passionate about.

Cheers! :D

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 pm

BA Political Science and English
Minors in French and Psych

From NJ so actually commuting from home yay free rent!

I see I'm not the only wine-lover- I'm big on Chianti, Reisling, various French wines

I really like classic rock, also popular music and house- pretty much a music lover all around.

Probably going for "soft" IP...looking forward to maybe taking a Fashion law class or so.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm going for corporate/transactional (I have a niche I'll disclose another time)
B.A. double major in Creative Writing and English Lit
I live about five minutes from LegallyBlonde817 (pure coincidence), but I only moved to Jersey 4 years ago.

I paid my way through UG as a club DJ but love all kinds of music, with a preference (these days) to more mellow stuff
My favorite wine is either Staglin Family cab, or Meerlust Rubicon, basically smooth reds that are not too big or bold
My favorite kind of beer is Trappist ale, but I'd rather have a screwdriver or a frozen Margarita
I love to cook and my favorite sport is snowboarding, though I haven't been up a mountain in many years.
I also have four children: a boy, a girl and 2 canines

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:45 pm

BS Chemistry

Grew up in upstate NY, went to undergrad in NC, working in NJ since. Moving closer in July/August (boo not-free rent!)

The astringency of cabernets is usually too much for me. I like pinot noirs, malty beers, and my new favorite cocktail is the sidecar.

I listen to a lot of EDM and anything indie, especially indie EDM.

As a chemist, there's an obvious path for me . . . but I'm keeping my options open.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

legallyblonde817

New

Post by legallyblonde817 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

mijenks wrote:BS Chemistry

Grew up in upstate NY, went to undergrad in NC, working in NJ since. Moving closer in July/August (boo not-free rent!)

The astringency of cabernets is usually too much for me. I like pinot noirs, malty beers, and my new favorite cocktail is the sidecar.

I listen to a lot of EDM and anything indie, especially indie EDM.

As a chemist, there's an obvious path for me . . . but I'm keeping my options open.
Then you might appreciate that I'm going to DAYGLOW tonight =]=]=]

SDPalmTree

Bronze

Post by SDPalmTree » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm

We'll all have to get together somewhere and have our drinks of choice before classes start in earnest - especially since there are so few of us on the Fordham board right now...

Anyone in NY/NJ up for 'researching' a few places ahead of time? Preferably somewhere close to the campus where we can have an actual conversation.

Also, interesting mix of UG majors here; aside from mijenks we're all on the humanities side of the intellectual spectrum. I blame the lack of jobs and the love of words, researching, and essay writing/editing for my own defection to the law, what about the rest of you?

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Made it official this morning with a deposit.

Only place I know of is Cafe Luxembourg a couple blocks north of lincoln center. It's pretty classy and the cocktails are really good. Price may be an issue though...I didn't pay for drinks last time I was there but if I had to guess, I'd say 14-18 per cocktail.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 pm

mijenks wrote:Made it official this morning with a deposit.

Only place I know of is Cafe Luxembourg a couple blocks north of lincoln center. It's pretty classy and the cocktails are really good. Price may be an issue though...I didn't pay for drinks last time I was there but if I had to guess, I'd say 14-18 per cocktail.
Bar Nine in Hell's Kitchen is less than 10 blocks away

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”