UC Irvine Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
paulshortys10

Silver

UC Irvine Class of 2015

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Admitted W/ 30k a year.

I'll be attending unless something better comes along in the next couple months.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine Class of 2015

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Received the acceptance email. Most likely will be attending. There is so much that I like about the school and the location. Paulshortys...you going to ASW?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm

I went there UG so I'm somewhat familiar with it, but not really since I commuted. Not my first choice(unless I get dinged everywhere else), but the city is definitely safe as shit.

Have you looked into places to live? I honestly would want to live in Newport If i'm gonna spend 3 years at UCI

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Good call on NB although don't get stuck on Balboa...the commute could kill you sometimes.

Stick to the CM/NB border area for cheaper rent and larger places with good side streets for easy commute.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:16 am

USMCMatt wrote:Good call on NB although don't get stuck on Balboa...the commute could kill you sometimes.

Stick to the CM/NB border area for cheaper rent and larger places with good side streets for easy commute.
thanks for the suggestions. I'd preferably like to keep the commute to under 10-15 minutes. i already live only about 40 minutes away

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:01 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
USMCMatt wrote:Good call on NB although don't get stuck on Balboa...the commute could kill you sometimes.

thanks for the suggestions. I'd preferably like to keep the commute to under 10-15 minutes. i already live only about 40 minutes away

There is pretty good housing on campus as well. My wife did her undergrad at UCI and a very close friend recently finished her Masters. She lived in family housing with her baby and husband. Said it was pretty nice.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:22 am

Just made a UCI TLS facebook group for those us admitted and thinking of probably ending up at UCI.

Join!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/380502475299400/

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:44 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Just made a UCI TLS facebook group for those us admitted and thinking of probably ending up at UCI.

Join!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/380502475299400/
fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am

Got in last Wed... Waiting on Scholarship info. UCI is definitely an intriguing option. Just sent a request for the FB group.

Hey all

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 am

Waiting on UCLA/USC but I'm in the camp debating UCI and UCH. Requested the group on facebook.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Anyone else thinking about living on campus? Puerta Del Sol, VDC, Palo Verde, etc etc?

gregucla10

New

Post by gregucla10 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I have looked into living on campus, but unfortunately, the leases for VDC and VDC Norte (aka the"nicest" housing) run from September to September.. which would leave me homeless for about a month. So now it looks like the decision is between Palo Verde, Verano Place, and Puerta del Sol.

edwards711

New

Post by edwards711 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Congrats on your acceptances everyone! I am currently an undergraduate at UCI and will be Applying To the Law School next year. Not trying to hijack the thread, but can answer questions about housing and such. I lived in VDC Norte for a while, and enjoyed it - expensive but beautiful. Puerta del Sol is actually much nicer in my opinion and I think more expensive (they just finished the complexes last year). I've lived in South Orange County my whole life so any questions, feel free to ask!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:01 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:Anyone else thinking about living on campus? Puerta Del Sol, VDC, Palo Verde, etc etc?
Verano seemed like the better choice to me. I'm a little afraid though that I will not get my first choice.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm

I put in for Puerta Del Sol for my first choice, VDC second. Puerta Del Sol is definitely nice w/ the hardwood floors and all. Plus, it is located directly across the street from the law school (although, Verano is located right there too).

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:I put in for Puerta Del Sol for my first choice, VDC second. Puerta Del Sol is definitely nice w/ the hardwood floors and all. Plus, it is located directly across the street from the law school (although, Verano is located right there too).
Those seem nice too. I was just trying to go for the most affordable one. Specially with how much tuition is going to be for me...

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:I put in for Puerta Del Sol for my first choice, VDC second. Puerta Del Sol is definitely nice w/ the hardwood floors and all. Plus, it is located directly across the street from the law school (although, Verano is located right there too).
Those seem nice too. I was just trying to go for the most affordable one. Specially with how much tuition is going to be for me...
Yeah I feel ya....some of the housing is pretty expensive, which is why the Class of 2015 should just all pitch-in and rent this puppy...

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

^ AGREED!

P.S. We need to get more people in this thread.

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Oh my god, I'm totally in for a TLS beach house!

I also requested for the FB group...and I'm attending ASW!! I'm really looking forward to the visit!

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 am

I just finished undergrad at UCI as well and still haven't decided where I'm going but I will be at ASW in a few weeks. I've lived in both Vista Del Campo and Camino Del Sol which were very nice and similar to Puerta Del Sol. I'm living in Newport Beach this year and I'm enjoying it but can't see myself actually studying if I lived here for law school. If I do go to UCI I'm gonna live in Puerta Del Sol. Yes, it's expensive but it's really nice and well worth the extra money compared to other UCI Housing options. The only negative to Puerta Del Sol is that you have to park by the rec center which is maybe a 10 minute walk? But it is literally right next to the law school so you can roll out of bed and walk to class which will be nice.

What are everyone's thoughts on UCI? I'm still waiting on USC (which I'd love to go to) but I've narrowed my acceptances down to UCI, UC Davis, and the University of San Diego. I've been very impressed with UCI and my visits the law school but I kinda want a bit of a change. At the same time, I feel like there's a ton of upside to going to UCI. I'm all over the place with my decision so hopefully ASW and my visit to Hastings and Davis next week will make it a little more clear.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 am

Beachbum89 wrote:I just finished undergrad at UCI as well and still haven't decided where I'm going but I will be at ASW in a few weeks. I've lived in both Vista Del Campo and Camino Del Sol which were very nice and similar to Puerta Del Sol. I'm living in Newport Beach this year and I'm enjoying it but can't see myself actually studying if I lived here for law school. If I do go to UCI I'm gonna live in Puerta Del Sol. Yes, it's expensive but it's really nice and well worth the extra money compared to other UCI Housing options. The only negative to Puerta Del Sol is that you have to park by the rec center which is maybe a 10 minute walk? But it is literally right next to the law school so you can roll out of bed and walk to class which will be nice.

What are everyone's thoughts on UCI? I'm still waiting on USC (which I'd love to go to) but I've narrowed my acceptances down to UCI, UC Davis, and the University of San Diego. I've been very impressed with UCI and my visits the law school but I kinda want a bit of a change. At the same time, I feel like there's a ton of upside to going to UCI. I'm all over the place with my decision so hopefully ASW and my visit to Hastings and Davis next week will make it a little more clear.
If you're anything like me, I couldn't have done UCLA for three more years. However, as far as UCI Law is concerned, I cannot emphasize enough that this is a very personal choice. For me, the opportunity to be part of building this institution is going to be incomparable. I was also attracted by the clinical requirements, faculty's research, location, and the overall goal of the institution.

I would be a liar if I said employment prospects didn't worry me. But here's the way I see it: A new law school doesn't make new applicants appear out of nowhere. If UCI Law didn't exist, you and I would have simply attended a different school. Sure, maybe having a strong network of alumni could help your chances, but at the end of the day, your resume will be ultimately what gets you the job. I would probably say that someone who wants to go to NY after UCI Law should be more apprehensive of job prospects. After all the reputation of UC schools is very strong in California (regardless of the pepper spray scandals).

But like I said, if you need a change, you need a change. These coming three years will be very important and you need to thrive and be at your best. If the scenery will bring you down, it will reflect on your performance. Good luck on your cycle and thank you for the housing info. Hopefully Verano will not be too terrible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 am

lawgeekgrl wrote:(regardless of the pepper spray scandals).

Hopefully Verano will not be too terrible.
I read that as pepper spray sandals...weird.

Is Verano the one with like $500/mo rent? After seeing what kinds of places my friends are living in LA (and what they are paying for 'em), I'm totally okay with living in Verano for the first year.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am

splitbrain wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:(regardless of the pepper spray scandals).

Hopefully Verano will not be too terrible.
I read that as pepper spray sandals...weird.

Is Verano the one with like $500/mo rent? After seeing what kinds of places my friends are living in LA (and what they are paying for 'em), I'm totally okay with living in Verano for the first year.
It is so very sad that these events happened at UC schools. It's like we went from Berkeley's 60s to not being able to express our opinions at all. It's funny how money and greed change things.

Anyhow, I'm doing family housing, so the rates are pretty decent. Besides, any place that isn't Westwood will be a castle to me :)

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 am

Cool this is good knowledge. I'm probably gonna do Verano first and PDS second.

I won't have a car, is this a big deal?

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:19 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
Cool this is good knowledge. I'm probably gonna do Verano first and PDS second.

I won't have a car, is this a big deal?
From what I saw, not having a car won't be a big deal when it comes to getting around campus and the surrounding area. Of course, if you want to hit the beach, you'll have to catch a ride w/ someone or get a bike (the beach is pretty close but far enough that walking is out of the question). It looked like alot of students had bikes, beach cruisers, etc. Maybe some of the UCI undergrads can chime in.

Edit: They have this too... http://www.zipcar.com/uci/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”