UC Irvine Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Beachbum89

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine Class of 2015

Post by Beachbum89 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:35 pm

odetojefferson wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:I put in for Puerta Del Sol for my first choice, VDC second. Puerta Del Sol is definitely nice w/ the hardwood floors and all. Plus, it is located directly across the street from the law school (although, Verano is located right there too).
Cool this is good knowledge. I'm probably gonna do Verano first and PDS second.

I won't have a car, is this a big deal?
Not having a car won't be a big deal in terms of getting around campus. The gym, law school, and main campus are all within walking distance of any of the graduate housing options. Vista Del Campo and Vista Del Campo Norte are a little further away from the main campus and law school so most students that live there either take the shuttle bus run by the school or bike to class. There's also an Albertsons and Trader Joes within walking distance from campus and the housing options so you can get away with not having a car However, if you want to get around the surrounding area you really need a car as there's not really any decent public transportation.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm actually looking forward to biking around campus and to nearby communities. I hope it'd be safer to do so there than in L.A.

edwards711

New

Post by edwards711 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Not having a car shouldn't be a big deal unless you plan on exploring OC, SD and LA on the weekends. Nightlife in Irvine is super weak and very annoying in Newport with all the cops so a car might be beneficial. As for the beach, it's quite a distance from UCI - a short drive but can't imagine taking a bike there. The plus is that UCI shuttle system takes students to from campus to Newport for free since so many live down there. If you have a car, I would NOT live in Newport - parking is an absolute nightmare unless you have a garage (although people blocking you in is common).

DeusExCyber

New

Post by DeusExCyber » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:05 am

Pondering law school choices. Will be attending UCI Law's Admitted Students Weekend.

Thinking about housing. I could commute from my family's home (~30 minutes) or live at my grandparents house and be distracted by extended family (4 blocks away). I think I'm leaning towards on-campus housing or apartment nearby so I can be free. Choices choices...
lawgeekgrl wrote:I'm actually looking forward to biking around campus and to nearby communities. I hope it'd be safer to do so there than in L.A.
There is not much to bike around the area... I mean its doable and you can find stuff, but Irvine (well OC in general) is definitely a car town.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:I'm actually looking forward to biking around campus and to nearby communities. I hope it'd be safer to do so there than in L.A.
Totally off-topic but it sounds like you'd really like Portland.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Traveltheworld25

New

Post by Traveltheworld25 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Wondering what people think about UCI vs Loyola Marymount? I'm offered 36k over the three years at Irvine and 96k at Loyola. The gpa requirements are very different with UCI being a 2.0 vs a 3.2 for Loyola. I went to UCI for undergrad so not really sure if I want to stay there (I grew up in Orange County as well so was actually thinking about a change) but I'm thinking that UCI might be the better choice in terms of what it will end up ranking and job prospects. Any thoughts?

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Traveltheworld25 wrote:Wondering what people think about UCI vs Loyola Marymount? I'm offered 36k over the three years at Irvine and 96k at Loyola. The gpa requirements are very different with UCI being a 2.0 vs a 3.2 for Loyola. I went to UCI for undergrad so not really sure if I want to stay there (I grew up in Orange County as well so was actually thinking about a change) but I'm thinking that UCI might be the better choice in terms of what it will end up ranking and job prospects. Any thoughts?
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=180284

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:09 am

splitbrain wrote:
Totally off-topic but it sounds like you'd really like Portland.
Probably. I have always heard REALLY good things about Portland. But I have also been to the O.C. area and loved it ever since. It has such a nice vibe, so I look forward to being there for the next three years.

pno12006

New

Post by pno12006 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Has anyone taken a look at the grad housing? I'm trying to narrow down my options here, but I don't really know without setting foot inside of one. Also, does anyone know about the parking situation? I'm going to assume it is expensive as hell...

Lastly, I check on the most important part... the alcohol policy. Apparently 21+ can drink in their rooms. So, there's that...lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:59 pm

So, who has committed?

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:So, who has committed?
Yah I'm in.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:27 pm

pno12006 wrote:Lastly, I check on the most important part... the alcohol policy. Apparently 21+ can drink in their rooms. So, there's that...lol.
...what?

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm

splitbrain wrote:
Yah I'm in.
+1!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:02 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:
splitbrain wrote:
Yah I'm in.
+1!
99% sure i will be an anteater in the fall

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 pm

lrslayer wrote:
lawgeekgrl wrote:
splitbrain wrote:
Yah I'm in.
+1!
99% sure i will be an anteater in the fall
Same here! Waiting to hear back on a scholarship negotiation, but either way, I'll be there in the fall!! zotzotzot

ASW was fantastic, btw! I really hope all the cool people I met over the weekend will be there in the fall!!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:01 am

I think this calls for a TLS meet-up @ Steelhead the night before orientation :D

hipLonghorn

New

Post by hipLonghorn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:12 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:I think this calls for a TLS meet-up @ Steelhead the night before orientation :D
Done!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeusExCyber

New

Post by DeusExCyber » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:38 am

OUTDATED INFO
Last edited by DeusExCyber on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6thbackstreetboy

Bronze

Post by 6thbackstreetboy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 pm

UCLA just denied my scholarship increase request, so it looks like Ima be an anteater. Superrr stoked about UCI. Probably would have taken UCI even if UCLA had upped my scholarship. Is there a Facebook group yet?

leagle1

New

Post by leagle1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:21 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:UCLA just denied my scholarship increase request, so it looks like Ima be an anteater. Superrr stoked about UCI. Probably would have taken UCI even if UCLA had upped my scholarship. Is there a Facebook group yet?
Great! http://www.facebook.com/groups/380502475299400/

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:34 pm

just got my finaid award. good news is i maxed out need based grant. bad news is they weren't fuckin around about that 5k thing :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 pm

lrslayer wrote:just got my finaid award. good news is i maxed out need based grant. bad news is they weren't fuckin around about that 5k thing :(
Received my award as well! Did you hear anything back from housing?

On another note, I attended the Chemerinsky and Kramer (Stanford Law Dean) debate last night. Pretty awesome. Chem is the man.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
lrslayer wrote:just got my finaid award. good news is i maxed out need based grant. bad news is they weren't fuckin around about that 5k thing :(

On another note, I attended the Chemerinsky and Kramer (Stanford Law Dean) debate last night. Pretty awesome. Chem is the man.
ya, they basically told me they will know when they know. bleh. that and the finaid thing has me looking at bc again. bigger scholly and they are giving me school loans instead of gradplus (which i won't qualify for). so, all in all, i am unhappy with the finaid package i got. very unhappy.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:37 pm

lrslayer wrote:
TrojanHopeful wrote:

ya, they basically told me they will know when they know. bleh. that and the finaid thing has me looking at bc again. bigger scholly and they are giving me school loans instead of gradplus (which i won't qualify for). so, all in all, i am unhappy with the finaid package i got. very unhappy.
Sorry to hear. Well, best of luck with your decision. As far as GradPlus loans go, you may want to check this out...

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=154708

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm

why is UCI's maximum need-based grant so much lower than the other UCs? i mean, they seem fairly generous with merit scholarships, but the need-based grants are just miniscule.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”