University of Chicago Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
tamereth

Bronze

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Post by tamereth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:31 am

Apparently Lao Hunan is part of a series of restaurants including Lao Sze-Chuan, Lao Shanghai, and more! Pretty excited... and kinda hungry now.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 am

Bildungsroman wrote:I feel very strongly that a gargoyle is better than an actual picture. You'll soon learn that the Glass Menagerie is 99% used for weird stalking and (I'm told) the occasional rating exercise.
Good thing I used my photo with the best bedroom eyes.

uchi12

New

Post by uchi12 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:13 am

Re: glass menagerie: I called and they said the communications dept does it, they can't give a confirmation, and that it'll update on the status checker in the next few weeks.

HolySnap

New

Post by HolySnap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 pm

So, what is everyone doing for their respective living situations? I'm a bit confused on how we pair up.

If I remember correctly, the photo I sent in looks like I'm trying to sex the viewer up. The gargoyle may have been the better option.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:03 pm

There are people trying to find roommates several times a week in the FB group, you should join if you haven't already.

I'll be in Regents personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Responding to earlier posts about the dearth of good food in HP. I've been living here for 2 weeks now, and, although nothing in the neighborhood is making the Michelin Guide, there's definitely some great spots for (pretty) cheap cuisine. I've tried 2 of Obama's former haunts--Medici on 57th and the Valois Cafeteria--and loved them both. The Reuben is out of this world at Medici, and the Garbage pizza was a nice change from the traditional Chicago-style. There seem to be some promising spots on 53rd street (Capri Pizza, Mellow Yellow), and Italian favorites seem well represented with the Piccolo Mondo and Giordano's. I'll definitely be heading north for the great (read: splurge) food nights, but HP seems at least adequate for Mon-Thurs dinner fare.

Cheap Thai food is well represented in the area as well, and there's a few fast noodle spots. I'll weigh in again as I try more of these restaurants.
Last edited by anewaphorist on Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Does anyone know where to find the ID number that I'm supposed to use to create my CnetID?

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:Does anyone know where to find the ID number that I'm supposed to use to create my CnetID?
Try your SSN? Not sure what you'd use though, if you're a foreign student with no SSN.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:Does anyone know where to find the ID number that I'm supposed to use to create my CnetID?

You can use your SSN I believe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Responding to earlier posts about the dearth of good food in HP. I've been living here for 2 weeks now, and, although nothing in the neighborhood is making the Michelin Guide, there's definitely some great spots for (pretty) cheap cuisine. I've tried 2 of Obama's former haunts--Medici on 57th and the Valois Cafeteria--and loved them both. The Reuben is out of this world at Medici, and the Garbage pizza was a nice change from the traditional Chicago-style. There seem to be some promising spots on 53rd street (Capri Pizza, Mellow Yellow), and Italian favorites seem well represented with the Piccolo Mondo and Giordano's. I'll definitely be heading north for the great (read: splurge) food nights, but HP seems at least adequate for Mon-Thurs dinner fare.

Cheap Thai food is well represented in the area as well, and there's a few fast noodle spots. I'll weigh in again as my wife and I try more of these restaurants.
Yeah, I will say Valois is very solid.

HolySnap

New

Post by HolySnap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 pm

I just found the FB group. Thanks for the help.

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Not really holding out hope, but are there any good Mexican restaurants? (And I don't mean Taco Bell or Chipotle.)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:53 am

When I was in Chicago over the spring I ate some of the best food I've ever had at a Mexican restaurant called Chilam Balam but it is in the northern part of the city and not Hyde Park so probably not relevant :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 am

Only 1 Mexican place worth mentioning, and it's Maravillas Restaurant (http://www.yelp.com/biz/maravillas-restaurant-chicago) on 52nd Street. It's supposedly solid with great margarita specials. I'll try it soon :) There's also a place called Pepe's, but its Zagat score is pretty abysmal, FWIW.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am

tamereth wrote:Not really holding out hope, but are there any good Mexican restaurants? (And I don't mean Taco Bell or Chipotle.)
There are some solid taquerias in Chicago.

blank403

New

Post by blank403 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Anyone figure out how exactly we get the free MS office? I went onto the IT website and saw they were selling some version for $35...but the free version mentioned in the July letter sounds like a better deal.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 pm

blank403 wrote:Anyone figure out how exactly we get the free MS office? I went onto the IT website and saw they were selling some version for $35...but the free version mentioned in the July letter sounds like a better deal.
Missing that level of nuance is what kept me from nailing the logical reasoning section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 pm

It looks like you have to bring a form to them, here is what looks like an old version.

--LinkRemoved--

I would contact the IT people and see if they would ship it if you need it sooner or whether there is a newer form somwhere.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 pm

HolySnap wrote:
If I remember correctly, the photo I sent in looks like I'm trying to sex the viewer up.
This was the right choice.

Also: Hai, soon-to-be 1Ls!

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Did everyone else get a check for the menagerie photo on the status check? I sent mine in past the deadline, but the check mark is a pretty good sign. I'll admit the idea of being a gargoyle was growing on me.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:01 am

Yep got the check

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions, guys. As a backup, I'm trying to learn how to cook delicious Mexican food :)

Jay W. Weatherman

New

Post by Jay W. Weatherman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Future 1Ls,

If anyone is still looking for housing and is not interested in Hyde Park, my roommate and I (both 3l guys) are looking to rent out the third bedroom of our South Loop/Printer's Row Apartment.

It's a two-story, three-bedroom apartment with an in-unit washer and dryer.
The rent is $700 a month (includes water and heating).
Apartment has good access to public transportation. The 2 and 6 buses (the easiest way to get to campus), the red line and the loop trains are all in easy walking distance.
Address is 800 S. Wells. St. (Target is next door. Jewel-Osco, Whole Foods, Trader Joes are all within walking distance).
Our lease is up in June, so you would not be obligated to be in the city through the summer, though our landlady is really cool, so if you liked it you could probably get an opportunity to extend if you wanted to.

PM me for more details.

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Responding to earlier posts about the dearth of good food in HP. I've been living here for 2 weeks now, and, although nothing in the neighborhood is making the Michelin Guide, there's definitely some great spots for (pretty) cheap cuisine. I've tried 2 of Obama's former haunts--Medici on 57th and the Valois Cafeteria--and loved them both. The Reuben is out of this world at Medici, and the Garbage pizza was a nice change from the traditional Chicago-style. There seem to be some promising spots on 53rd street (Capri Pizza, Mellow Yellow), and Italian favorites seem well represented with the Piccolo Mondo and Giordano's. I'll definitely be heading north for the great (read: splurge) food nights, but HP seems at least adequate for Mon-Thurs dinner fare.

Cheap Thai food is well represented in the area as well, and there's a few fast noodle spots. I'll weigh in again as my wife and I try more of these restaurants.

Mellow Yellow is one of my favorites. Medicis and Noodles Etc. are pretty popular too. And people like Giordano's since they have deep dish. But their thin crust is a popular lunch talk choice so you'll get too much of that during the year. :lol:

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:24 pm

So where's the nearest solid grocery store?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”