University of Chicago Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Danny Mothers

Bronze

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Post by Danny Mothers » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:20 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
My recommendation is whiskey.
That'll be part of my rigorous 0L prep.
Last edited by Danny Mothers on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Danny Mothers wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
My recommendation is whiskey.
That'll part of my rigorous 0L prep.
Rigorous 0L functional alcoholism is next level gunning.

BigJohnso

Bronze

Post by BigJohnso » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Sent in all of my stuff today also. Whiskey and Gin will be my 0L prep.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Just got accepted today RD! Very excited to join you all. Any suggestions on graduate housing that's close to campus?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Champion wrote:Just got accepted today RD! Very excited to join you all. Any suggestions on graduate housing that's close to campus?
Welcome to the thread! A lot of people live in Regents. I'm taking a quick trip out to Chicago this weekend and I'll report back if I get the chance to check out housing. Christ knows we need some sort of stimulus to help conversation amongst this group of boring assholes :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:46 am

Boring assholes? Or just people who can't tear themselves away from their Nobel prize-worthy labors to post on an internet forum? :)

BigJohnso

Bronze

Post by BigJohnso » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Champion wrote:Just got accepted today RD! Very excited to join you all. Any suggestions on graduate housing that's close to campus?

Congrats and Welcome! Regents is a couple miles away from campus, but a bus pass is provided. There is cheaper graduate housing that is closer to campus, but the fact that it is closer to campus means its less safe of an area and the facilities are probably less new. I'll also be going in a couple of weeks and will report my findings.
TemporarySaint wrote:Welcome to the thread! A lot of people live in Regents. I'm taking a quick trip out to Chicago this weekend and I'll report back if I get the chance to check out housing. Christ knows we need some sort of stimulus to help conversation amongst this group of boring assholes :wink:
At least you admit you are part of the group of boring assholes :wink:

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:33 pm

See you all in Hyde Park next year. I"m withdrawing everywhere else.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Haha, we will not be boring a**holes. Chicago shall be immensely fun! Can't wait. Looking forward to hearing the reports on housing and meeting everyone. I'll probably end up living with Regents. Now I just have to find a roommate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Checking in to follow discussion b/c there's a good chance I'll see you all in Hyde Park in a few months. Pretty happy to even be able to post here

kenstokes29

New

Post by kenstokes29 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:35 pm

BigJohnso wrote:

Congrats and Welcome! Regents is a couple miles away from campus, but a bus pass is provided. There is cheaper graduate housing that is closer to campus, but the fact that it is closer to campus means its less safe of an area and the facilities are probably less new. I'll also be going in a couple of weeks and will report my findings.
TemporarySaint wrote:Welcome to the thread! A lot of people live in Regents. I'm taking a quick trip out to Chicago this weekend and I'll report back if I get the chance to check out housing. Christ knows we need some sort of stimulus to help conversation amongst this group of boring assholes :wink:
At least you admit you are part of the group of boring assholes :wink:
From a current 1L (and lifetime Chicago resident who congratulates you on being accepted to a great law school in an even greater city):

Regents is a 15-minute bus ride from the law school (and I've made the walk in about 25-30 minutes) and also is right by a 6 stop (to get downtown). Locations closer to campus aren't really less safe, like all of Chicago its a spotty area where the wrong block is the wrong block. You don't want to live south of campus at all, but the safety issue beyond that is less about location and more about transportation. People who live at Regents take the 172 from right outside, which leaves little opportunity for crime. Other areas, closer to campus, are more heavily trafficked by pedestrians on foot and thus we get the occasional mugging. Wherever you live, the closer you live to a bus stop and the less walking around your immediate neighborhood you do, the safer you'll be.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 am

Just got back from my trip. I'd committed to Chicago based on a fucking boring ratio of cost of living and job prospects and vague recollections of really digging the city when I was twelve. I'm pleased as hell to rate the visit as an 11. Hyde Park wasn't nearly as shitty as I'd been lead to believe. Sure, there are shitty parts, but I dig it as a community and assume those who don't like HP are just scared of black people. I do like that HP seems to be its own separate community. Solid food options for a relatively obnoxious foodie. There are a ton of places to live and Regents looked solid. Nice kitchens and really easy access to the 172 , but I was most excited about being able to get great beer in the market downstairs. On that note, whomever decided to make so many restaurants byob is a fucking genius.

I will say it was cold as fuck. I'll be getting a pair of boots now or using the snow as an excuse to get boots.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Hear my now, future 1Ls. If any of you bring a rolling backpack to our institution like a few proles in our class do, may God strike you down where you stand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blank403

New

Post by blank403 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Haymarket wrote:Hear my now, future 1Ls. If any of you bring a rolling backpack to our institution like a few proles in our class do, may God strike you down where you stand.
Damn. Can someone link me to Target's refund policy???

On a more serious note, super jealous of your Chicago visit. ASW can't come soon enough. Any chance you noticed the price of the beer in the market downstairs? I just paid $16 for a 6 pack of bluepoint toasted lager the other day in NYC and immediately felt miserable about myself.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Does Chicago help any with travel for ASW?

blank403

New

Post by blank403 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Champion wrote:Does Chicago help any with travel for ASW?
Up to $200 for admitted students traveling more than 150 miles. Gas/airfare. There's a section about it on the admitted students section of the website.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:41 pm

blank403 wrote:
Haymarket wrote:Hear my now, future 1Ls. If any of you bring a rolling backpack to our institution like a few proles in our class do, may God strike you down where you stand.
Damn. Can someone link me to Target's refund policy???

On a more serious note, super jealous of your Chicago visit. ASW can't come soon enough. Any chance you noticed the price of the beer in the market downstairs? I just paid $16 for a 6 pack of bluepoint toasted lager the other day in NYC and immediately felt miserable about myself.
I don't remember exact pricepoints, but I don't remember it being all that different from what I'm paying at home, which is ~$10 for a sixer of good microbrew.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmm...my status checker still says that no deposit has been received. Overnighted that shit on Friday, so it should be there by now. Anyone else looking at a 0.00?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:18 pm

anewaphorist wrote:Hmm...my status checker still says that no deposit has been received. Overnighted that shit on Friday, so it should be there by now. Anyone else looking at a 0.00?
It took a while for the status checker to update last year. I wouldn't worry about it.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Dany wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:Hmm...my status checker still says that no deposit has been received. Overnighted that shit on Friday, so it should be there by now. Anyone else looking at a 0.00?
It took a while for the status checker to update last year. I wouldn't worry about it.
Damn it, Dany. We've already been accepted. We have to have a 0L neurotic crisis about something.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:54 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Dany wrote:
Damn it, Dany. We've already been accepted. We have to have a 0L neurotic crisis about something.
Don't worry, you'll find plenty of things to freak out about :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

noggo10

New

Post by noggo10 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 am

I know this is a slightly vague question but what is the average cost of the grad student housing available?

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Fun will not go to die here. :lol:

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Do ya'll have access to the actual pricing on the Regents law school packages for 2012-13? If so / when you do, could someone PM me and send it to me? Pretty please!

(I'm a 3L who still lives in Regents. I'm DC-bound for one year for a clerkship but my non-law husband is staying behind and we're negotiating with Regents and price information for 1br and 2br would be very helpful to us!)

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Does anyone know if Regents fills up fast?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”