University of Chicago Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Platinum

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:38 pm

I was in Chicago for a couple of days in March and Nana was one of the places we ate at. Seriously amazing food and their lunch menu was reasonably priced.

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Shirts! Not sure why I'm excited about this but I am! Tried to buy a shirt when I visited for ASW and they didn't have any XD

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:37 pm

We get MS Office for free, that's unexpected :)

And I have tried a few times to find a UChi Law Hoodie but can't find a thing. If anyone runs into one let me know, I feel like its obligatory haha

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:41 pm

2014 wrote:
And I have tried a few times to find a UChi Law Hoodie but can't find a thing. If anyone runs into one let me know, I feel like its obligatory haha
I'm pretty sure one of the student organizations sells UChicago Law apparel during one of the Orientation days. One of the pictures in the middle of this page shows someone wearing one and a table of them being sold (given away?): http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/5119

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
2014 wrote:
I'm pretty sure one of the student organizations sells UChicago Law apparel during one of the Orientation days. One of the pictures in the middle of this page shows someone wearing one and a table of them being sold (given away?): http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/5119
Yeah, there's an org (I think CLF?) that sells Chicago Law tshirts and hoodies and such. They had some on sale one day during orientation last year, and also had some sales throughout the fall quarter (and maybe onward, but everything after December is a blur to me). They have a cafepress, too: --LinkRemoved-- But I personally think cafepress is overpriced garbage.

And you all will get a Class of 2015 shirt during orientation, if this year is any indication.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Rather silly question from someone who has never visited campus while people are actually attending class

Do people ususally wear business casual to class? Or if I show up in skinny jeans and a leather jacket will no one care?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Rather silly question from someone who has never visited campus while people are actually attending class

Do people ususally wear business casual to class? Or if I show up in skinny jeans and a leather jacket will no one care?
Nope, people generally just wear casual. You don't see people wearing pajamas to class like you get in undergrad classes (well, except during exams and maybe the day your memo or brief is due), but other than that you're good in just about anything. Professors will mostly wear suits, but you just need not to look like a homeless prostitute and you're good.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Rather silly question from someone who has never visited campus while people are actually attending class

LOL no.

Jeans, khakis, tshirts, plaid shirts, sweatshirts, etc are the norm. On the other hand, unlike in undergrad, sweats are really not common and (in my opinion) look too slobby for a professional school.

Fucking scooped.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm

My undergrad had a little different dynamic. No one wore suits but everyone wore some kind of business casual.

I'm going to go pour myself a drink now and stare bitterly at a closet full of businessy things I just bought.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm

catholicgirl wrote:My undergrad had a little different dynamic. No one wore suits but everyone wore some kind of business casual.

I'm going to go pour myself a drink now and stare bitterly at a closet full of businessy things I just bought.
lol you must have gone to a fun undergrad.

I don't think anybody would be weirded out if you wore business casual. Just don't come to class in a full suit.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 pm

catholicgirl wrote:My undergrad had a little different dynamic. No one wore suits but everyone wore some kind of business casual.

The fuck kind of UG is that? Anyway, don't worry too much. You will easily need a good business wardrobe for summer jobs, and there are a number of organizations and events at Chicago that require business dress.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Haymarket wrote:

The fuck kind of UG is that? Anyway, don't worry too much. You will easily need a good business wardrobe for summer jobs, and there are a number of organizations and events at Chicago that require business dress.
The kind of undergrad were your sorority has wardrobe "suggestions" for what you wear to class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:44 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

The kind of undergrad were your sorority has wardrobe "suggestions" for what you wear to class.
Well, I will now hold you accountable for elevating the level of decorum among your class. Don't disappoint us.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Hip hip Hyde Park for free MS Office and CTA passes!

decentalias

New

Post by decentalias » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

tamereth wrote:
Shirts! Not sure why I'm excited about this but I am! Tried to buy a shirt when I visited for ASW and they didn't have any XD
This.

Also, were we supposed to receive any kind of confirmation on our Glass Menagerie photo? I'm just slightly antsy because I submitted a couple hours late on the 29th due to a series of unfortunate events.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:44 pm

tamereth wrote:
ringo wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote: Also, if anyone else is an obnoxious foodie, I know some places.
Definitely interested in hearing about where to eat in Chicago.
Seconded
Pictures from my apt. search trip.

Banh Mi hotdog and truffle fries.

Smoked salmon w/ asparagus and anchovy

Duck hearts with balsamic (best thing we ate all week) washed down with a Three Philosophers and Zombie Dust

Fucking amazing Hunan pork belly

Fucking amazing Hunan crispy duck

Reuben pastrami spiced pig's head w/ saurkraut gnocchi plus a Flemish sour red and an Oberon

Bone Marrow

Badass meat plate

Fantastic oysters with a Dogfish Indian Brown

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm

decentalias wrote:
tamereth wrote:
This.

Also, were we supposed to receive any kind of confirmation on our Glass Menagerie photo? I'm just slightly antsy because I submitted a couple hours late on the 29th due to a series of unfortunate events.
I didn't get a confirmation. Then again, that could just be because in my case they felt a that gargoyle would be an improvement.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm

I feel very strongly that a gargoyle is better than an actual picture. You'll soon learn that the Glass Menagerie is 99% used for weird stalking and (I'm told) the occasional rating exercise.

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 pm

TemporarySaint wrote: Pictures from my apt. search trip.

[pics]
Where can I get these tasty looking things?

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I feel very strongly that a gargoyle is better than an actual picture. You'll soon learn that the Glass Menagerie is 99% used for weird stalking and (I'm told) the occasional rating exercise.
(is a gargoyle)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:54 pm

tamereth wrote:

[pics]
+1. We need names! (Especially for the "fucking amazing" Chinese)

Also, my main concern about HP is the lack of food options in the neighborhood. Is it as bad as I think?

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
decentalias wrote:
I didn't get a confirmation. Then again, that could just be because in my case they felt a that gargoyle would be an improvement.
I submitted my picture on time and did not get a confirmation. Also, the box for the picture on my status checker (remember that thing?) is not checked.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 am

ringo wrote:
tamereth wrote:

[pics]
+1. We need names! (Especially for the "fucking amazing" Chinese)

Also, my main concern about HP is the lack of food options in the neighborhood. Is it as bad as I think?
Hyde Park is kind of shit food wise.

Marrow and Pig's head from Longman Eagle. great spot for whiskey and beer as well.

Chinese is from a place in Chinatiwn called Lao Hunan. Fucking hilarious spot where the entire staff wears Chairman Mao uniforms. Amazeballs food. Best of the trip.

Everything else, the Publican.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 am

I'm so excited to have legit Asian food

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”