University of Chicago Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Light

Bronze

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2015

Post by Light » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:30 pm

catholicgirl wrote:So where's the nearest solid grocery store?

In Hyde Park the only real grocery stores are Treasure Island and Hyde Park Produce. Treasure Island has way more stuff and is the one I always go to. Hyde Park Produce is on 53rd and Kimbark and Treasure Island I forget but it's near 55ish or something. I always take safe ride there on the weekends since I was at New Grad.

Depending on where you are living, you can take a free bus right to HP Produce or take a bus and get somewhere nearish Treasure Island.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Light wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:So where's the nearest solid grocery store?

In Hyde Park the only real grocery stores are Treasure Island and Hyde Park Produce. Treasure Island has way more stuff and is the one I always go to. Hyde Park Produce is on 53rd and Kimbark and Treasure Island I forget but it's near 55ish or something. I always take safe ride there on the weekends since I was at New Grad.

Depending on where you are living, you can take a free bus right to HP Produce or take a bus and get somewhere nearish Treasure Island.
So which one is the safer to go to?

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Haha umm, during the day I think you'll be fine. But I don't know where you are located so as a general rule of thumb the safest route is the one that minimizes walking time. And when you walk stay in well lit areas, no sketchy short cuts if you can help it. And if you are far-ish and it's past 5 pm you can call safe ride any day of the week and get to the store and back for free. Alternatively, you can take the 172 to get the HP Produce (CVS is in the same shopping center too) and the 171 brings you close-ish to Treasure Island.

Edit: the 171 and 172 are free to ride when you show your UChi ID.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I'd be in Regents so I'm not sure if I will just have to suck it up and call safe-ride everytime I want to grocery shop.

Ozymandias

Bronze

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

catholicgirl wrote:I'd be in Regents so I'm not sure if I will just have to suck it up and call safe-ride everytime I want to grocery shop.
Regents has its own grocery store if you just need to pick up a couple things. Before 6:00, a short walk to the 171 will take you right to Treasure Island, and after 6:00, the UChicago shuttles take you straight from Regents to Treasure Island. I've never had a problem getting groceries to Regents without a car.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm

How big and how expensive is the Regents grocery store? The picture I saw of it makes it look pretty small.

ATLiens

New

Post by ATLiens » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:10 pm

2014 wrote:How big and how expensive is the Regents grocery store? The picture I saw of it makes it look pretty small.
I was there today and they didn't even mention it...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

53rd is a pretty busy street and Hyde park produce is only open until 8 (and in a busy little complex to boot). Taking safe ride there would be major overkill.

Also, for people living on the 172 route (including you, regents people) the 172 has a stop just in front of Hyde park produce, so it's a good place to stop for stuff. Their selection isn't great on most stuff (lots of hipster food, little name brand) but their produce section is really good. I get off the bus there to get home and usually buy fresh produce there several times a week.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Light wrote:Haha umm, during the day I think you'll be fine. But I don't know where you are located so as a general rule of thumb the safest route is the one that minimizes walking time. And when you walk stay in well lit areas, no sketchy short cuts if you can help it. And if you are far-ish and it's past 5 pm you can call safe ride any day of the week and get to the store and back for free. Alternatively, you can take the 172 to get the HP Produce (CVS is in the same shopping center too) and the 171 brings you close-ish to Treasure Island.

What the..?

You can walk around HP even after dark, especially in the area around Regents and over to Treasure Island etc. HP is a little sketchy, but it is not that sketchy!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm

As a general rule, it seems that the rectangle bounded to the north by 49th Street, to the south by 61st, to the west by Washington Park, and to the east by Lake Michigan is quiet and safe. This isn't to say that you should walk alone at night around 61st and Cottage Grove (re: in the Southwest corner of that triangle), but the odds of any violent trouble in north Hyde Park and and Kenwood, especially during daylight hours, are really, really low.
Last edited by anewaphorist on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrictlyBusiness

Bronze

Post by StrictlyBusiness » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

2014 wrote:How big and how expensive is the Regents grocery store? The picture I saw of it makes it look pretty small.
Walked into it when I was there last month, and from what I could tell it'd be perfectly find for picking up milk, eggs, bananas, liquor, and whatever else you need ASAP. Might spend $12 for what should regularly be $10, but it was nothing ridiculous.

Definitely don't plan on that being your only source of groceries though.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

New

Post by RamblinBoyofPleasure » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Emma. wrote:
Light wrote:Haha umm, during the day I think you'll be fine. But I don't know where you are located so as a general rule of thumb the safest route is the one that minimizes walking time. And when you walk stay in well lit areas, no sketchy short cuts if you can help it. And if you are far-ish and it's past 5 pm you can call safe ride any day of the week and get to the store and back for free. Alternatively, you can take the 172 to get the HP Produce (CVS is in the same shopping center too) and the 171 brings you close-ish to Treasure Island.

What the..?

You can walk around HP even after dark, especially in the area around Regents and over to Treasure Island etc. HP is a little sketchy, but it is not that sketchy!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Emma. wrote:

What the..?

This. You all will be fine, just don't walk around Hyde Park with your laptop in your arms and listening to music on your iPhone at 3 AM. Just treat it like a city and be smart.

And you'll get a hilarious scare talk from the UChicago PD during orientation, so get excited for that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Emma. wrote:

What the..?

Oh, I didn't mean to say it would necessarily be dangerous to walk around HP after dark - I did it every day. I was just explaining the various options to get to the store. Safe ride is good for going long distances when the bus isn't running or doesn't come that close. It can be really impractical to use it during Fridays and weekends though. Neither of those stores are in that dangerous areas, but if I had to pick a safer route it'd be whichever one was the shortest distance from you.

The probability of being mugged or something isn't that high, though it has happened a few times this year around 57th/56thish according to the security emails. Apparently, it mostly happens when the victim is alone and not paying much attention to their surroundings.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi all! It looks like I'll be headed to Chicago in the fall, and could not be happier. Unfortunately, it's late July, and I don't know a thing about housing/etc. Would anyone be willing to let me bombard them with PM's?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Smumps wrote:Hi all! It looks like I'll be headed to Chicago in the fall, and could not be happier. Unfortunately, it's late July, and I don't know a thing about housing/etc. Would anyone be willing to let me bombard them with PM's?
Congrats. I'd join the Facebook page as there are still a few people looking for places. You could check out the uchicago marketplace as well for randoms without the lawtism.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Regents, where ~half or so of 1Ls live will run you like 1100-1200 for a studio, 1300? for a 1BR and 1600 for a 2Br. As recently as yesterday people were on the FB page looking for roommates.

Other buildings nearby are a bit cheaper (but not a ton) but may very well be just as nice.

Most people seem to be living in Hyde Park though for 1L and this page has some good descriptions of the boundaries to stay within to not get mugged or murdered.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itsaclassic

New

Post by itsaclassic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm an incoming 1L (female) from CA and looking for a new roommate. My old roommate just got off the wait list for another school. I have a 2 Bedroom lease at Regents for a very good deal. Please message me if you are interested!

Gods Creator

New

Post by Gods Creator » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm an incoming 1L myself. I am looking for a roommate who would like to go in on a place together. I would also welcome joining someone who already has a lease.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 am

Gods Creator wrote:I'm an incoming 1L myself. I am looking for a roommate who would like to go in on a place together. I would also welcome joining someone who already has a lease.
Join the Facebook page, if you haven't already.

tamereth

Bronze

Post by tamereth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm

tamereth wrote:It's August!
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/AugustLetter
It was up a bit ago but it seems they took it down now before I actually read it :(

Anything relevant?

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm

2014 wrote:
tamereth wrote:It's August!
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/AugustLetter
It was up a bit ago but it seems they took it down now before I actually read it :(

Anything relevant?
I didn't see anything really important. Optional orientation details were probably the biggest bit of info.

Gods Creator

New

Post by Gods Creator » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Gods Creator wrote:I'm an incoming 1L myself. I am looking for a roommate who would like to go in on a place together. I would also welcome joining someone who already has a lease.
Join the Facebook page, if you haven't already.
Thanks, I've joined the facebook group.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 pm

August letter is up again! The service activities all sound pretty good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”