Penn Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Campagnolo

Silver

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by Campagnolo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:26 am

iamrobk wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It's because of self-selection, and the fact that NYC is the only safe market. Jobs in the other far away markets are so limited, I think sometimes people end up in NYC because their first choice city is hard to get into. It's just simply easier to get jobs in NYC compared to other places.

That said, many people with ties to secondary markets go back to the markets. If you have specific questions about PNW, email/call admissions and ask them to refer you to some alums working in the area and get their perspective. They matched me with a couple of people when I was considering, and it turned out to be really helpful.

While the lay reputation isn't as widely recognized as we'd like, all legal employers know what Penn is about. So you shouldn't worry about the brand.
Thank you!

I asked the admissions office for some names, but they were only able to give me people to contact in Seattle (not Portland), but said they would keep looking. On a related note, I already booked a trip to see GULC and Cornell before hearing back from Penn. Now that I'm in, I would like to visit, but can only squeeze in a Saturday afternoon. I assume the law building will be open. Is it worth walking around? If I only have 6 hours, what should I do to get a feel for the place? Obviously, this isn't how I'd like to visit, but my hand is forced.
I'm just a 0L from the Philly area, so I have no idea about the law building itself, but I'd suggest splitting your time roughly 50/50 between exploring University City and Center City. And get a cheesesteak. :P
Ah yes, but from where? If you came to Portland, I wouldn't just tell you to get a beer! :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:12 am

Yes the building is open everyday of the week, usually til 11 or midnight. If you can only squeeze in a saturday afternoon, come check out the school. If you want a guide, pm me and let me know when you are coming. I am usually at school on Sat to study, and I do help with admitted students anyway, I'd be happy to give you a tour. Let me know.

As far as cheesesteak goes, you can go to the touristy places, but as a native here, I only like ones I can get from my neighborhood places. Check out the feel of the campus and center city, compare that to DC. You can't really compare that with Ithaca though...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:16 am

Also, on Alums. You can look at Portland firms and see if you find Penn Grads. Also I am sure we can find you a 2L/3L from the area, ask Admissions to find you a couple of current students to talk to.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:05 am

Campagnolo wrote:
iamrobk wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:It's because of self-selection, and the fact that NYC is the only safe market. Jobs in the other far away markets are so limited, I think sometimes people end up in NYC because their first choice city is hard to get into. It's just simply easier to get jobs in NYC compared to other places.

That said, many people with ties to secondary markets go back to the markets. If you have specific questions about PNW, email/call admissions and ask them to refer you to some alums working in the area and get their perspective. They matched me with a couple of people when I was considering, and it turned out to be really helpful.

While the lay reputation isn't as widely recognized as we'd like, all legal employers know what Penn is about. So you shouldn't worry about the brand.
Thank you!

I asked the admissions office for some names, but they were only able to give me people to contact in Seattle (not Portland), but said they would keep looking. On a related note, I already booked a trip to see GULC and Cornell before hearing back from Penn. Now that I'm in, I would like to visit, but can only squeeze in a Saturday afternoon. I assume the law building will be open. Is it worth walking around? If I only have 6 hours, what should I do to get a feel for the place? Obviously, this isn't how I'd like to visit, but my hand is forced.
I'm just a 0L from the Philly area, so I have no idea about the law building itself, but I'd suggest splitting your time roughly 50/50 between exploring University City and Center City. And get a cheesesteak. :P
Ah yes, but from where? If you came to Portland, I wouldn't just tell you to get a beer! :)
Anywhere really. They're all delicious (went to college near Philly). :D

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:Yes the building is open everyday of the week, usually til 11 or midnight. If you can only squeeze in a saturday afternoon, come check out the school. If you want a guide, pm me and let me know when you are coming. I am usually at school on Sat to study, and I do help with admitted students anyway, I'd be happy to give you a tour. Let me know.

As far as cheesesteak goes, you can go to the touristy places, but as a native here, I only like ones I can get from my neighborhood places. Check out the feel of the campus and center city, compare that to DC. You can't really compare that with Ithaca though...
I just might take you up on your offer!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 pm

So I heard one of the partners talking on the phone to a client, and he said: I've got an Ivy League kid bringing me coffee, can you believe that?

It made me smile.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Campagnolo wrote:So I heard one of the partners talking on the phone to a client, and he said: I've got an Ivy League kid bringing me coffee, can you believe that?

It made me smile.
That is awesome.

Anyone know what the gym on campus is like? Convenient, clean, good number of classes?

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 pm

jpal13 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:So I heard one of the partners talking on the phone to a client, and he said: I've got an Ivy League kid bringing me coffee, can you believe that?

It made me smile.
That is awesome.

Anyone know what the gym on campus is like? Convenient, clean, good number of classes?
--LinkRemoved--

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm

You have to pay extra to buy a membership to Pottruck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:13 am

Checking in (belatedly).

Edit: Haven't made the decision, just trolling because i'm considering it.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Checking in (belatedly).

Where else are you considering? It's between Columbia and penn for me, def leaning towards penn. if they throw me a financial bone in march it's a done deal

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Edit: Was just accepted to Berkeley. Hope all of you have fun at Penn!!! It looks like an awesome school :-)

qwerty7676

New

Post by qwerty7676 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Sent in my deposit today. Yay!!

....... this is just the beginning isn't it? They're going to take all of my money. Every last penny.

damn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:02 pm

jpal13 wrote:
WhiteGuy5 wrote:Checking in (belatedly).

Where else are you considering? It's between Columbia and penn for me, def leaning towards penn. if they throw me a financial bone in march it's a done deal
I wish I could pick between Columbia and Penn. Sadly, so far it's just NYU/Mich/Penn. Leaning towards Penn slightly.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey everyone, got in Friday and am still making my decision. It looks to me like you are automatically considered for merit awards as soon as you're accepted, and then can fill out the Need Access form if you want to apply for need based aid? If that's the case, how recommended is filling out the Need Access? Is need aid from Penn at all common or do they primarily just give merit aid? Thanks to anyone who can guide me here.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Aspen wrote:Edit: Was just accepted to Berkeley. Hope all of you have fun at Penn!!! It looks like an awesome school :-)
So you are choosing Berkeley over Penn? I made the inverse decision.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:11 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Hey everyone, got in Friday and am still making my decision. It looks to me like you are automatically considered for merit awards as soon as you're accepted, and then can fill out the Need Access form if you want to apply for need based aid? If that's the case, how recommended is filling out the Need Access? Is need aid from Penn at all common or do they primarily just give merit aid? Thanks to anyone who can guide me here.
Penn most definitely gives out REAL need based aids. If you have the need, be sure to fill out the forms. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey all... happy to be here :)

I got the call about a week and a half ago and I love (love, love!) Penn...

I'm excited for ASW (which is unfortunately the same weekend as UVa's, I was hoping to go to both ASWs to get a feel for both schools) and to check out housing in Philly... Hopefully, I'll meet a bunch of you there!

Does anyone here currently live/work in NYC?

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm

AlexGrace wrote:Hey all... happy to be here :)

I'm excited for ASW (which is unfortunately the same weekend as UVa's, I was hoping to go to both ASWs to get a feel for both schools) and to check out housing in Philly... Hopefully, I'll meet a bunch of you there!

My situation too. I'm probably going to go to Penn as I'm leaning there, but it's hard :(

semantic

New

Post by semantic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Have y'all found any affordable places to stay overnight for ASW?

The hotels they linked to were very expensive...

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm

semantic wrote:Have y'all found any affordable places to stay overnight for ASW?

Why not just stay with a student? That's what I'm doing, love that they offer that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

semantic

New

Post by semantic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Smumps wrote:
semantic wrote:Have y'all found any affordable places to stay overnight for ASW?

Why not just stay with a student? That's what I'm doing, love that they offer that.
Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I'll be doing for Chicago (and Penn).

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:38 pm

justicefishy wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:Hey all... happy to be here :)

My situation too. I'm probably going to go to Penn as I'm leaning there, but it's hard :(
Plus, I don't live too far from Philly, and I could realistically visit any weekend... But idk, since getting into Penn, I've gotten more and more excited about it, and I feel like ASW is going to be a great time to meet people and look for a place to live. Would you visit UVa another time?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:23 pm

AlexGrace wrote:
Plus, I don't live too far from Philly, and I could realistically visit any weekend... But idk, since getting into Penn, I've gotten more and more excited about it, and I feel like ASW is going to be a great time to meet people and look for a place to live. Would you visit UVa another time?
I didn't visit Virginia last year, but Penn's ASW was incredible and the most fun of the three schools I did visit.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 am

PennBull wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:
I didn't visit Virginia last year, but Penn's ASW was incredible and the most fun of the three schools I did visit.
My thoughts too. Plus, dim sum :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”