Penn Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
PennBull

Diamond

Re: Penn Law Class of 2015

Post by PennBull » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm

jasonxu89 wrote:
Copacetic1 wrote:Question to the ED people or to anyone who knows they are going to Penn for sure: How many days are people going to spend at Admitted Students Weekend? I am from the west coast, so ideally, I would like to take care of my housing search/ visiting campus/ ASW stuff in one weekend. My concern with doing Friday- Sunday, which is my current plan, is that Friday and Saturday are going to be filled with ASW activities and that will only leave me Sunday to look for housing... Is that enough time/ Are most leasing offices open on Sunday? Will we have time on Friday and Saturday to look for housing?

Can current students who found housing at ASW chime in? Or post the schedule from last year? I've been checking the website for an updated ASW itinerary, but it hasn't shown up yet. :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I want to book my flight and hotel soon! Can't wait to meet everyone. :)

I have similar questions as Copacetic. I also plan to look for housing during ASW.
Lots of students will be hosting (including me). You'll be given a survey soon asking if you want a student host, along with a bunch of other questions about the events you'll be attending.

I personally would do Thursday-Sunday simply because it's more fun haha. Penn was my favorite ASW when I was visiting. There's Thursday night events and Saturday's end pretty early in the afternoon, so you could spend lots of Thursday and Saturday looking for housing, too.

My personal opinion is that the internet can really give you a ton of information on housing and you can narrow it down from there. Also, there are lots of places where you know exactly what you will be getting and for what price, because so many law students live there (Left Bank, Domus, Sansom, 2400 Chestnut).

MiamiOxford

Bronze

Post by MiamiOxford » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:29 am

For those admitted, or for current students who may know... Has anyone gotten/heard about scholarship information? I didn't hear anything with my acceptance, so would that be in the portfolio?
Also, anything cool in the portfolio? 8)

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:For those admitted, or for current students who may know... Has anyone gotten/heard about scholarship information? I didn't hear anything with my acceptance, so would that be in the portfolio?
If they did send the packet out yesterday, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. I'm way too excited for it. :lol:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:11 pm

MiamiOxford wrote:For those admitted, or for current students who may know... Has anyone gotten/heard about scholarship information? I didn't hear anything with my acceptance, so would that be in the portfolio?
Scholarship info came out last year a couple of weeks before ASW. Early-mid march.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:14 pm

I just got in today! Penn is my number 1 and so I am all in. What should I know? I am so excited!

Do students reallly live in Domus? It is so expensive! Plus they charge cat rent, where is my cat going to come up with $35/month???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 pm

jpal13 wrote:I just got in today! Penn is my number 1 and so I am all in. What should I know? I am so excited!

Do students reallly live in Domus? It is so expensive! Plus they charge cat rent, where is my cat going to come up with $35/month???
Congrats! I believe a good number of people live in Domus. I wish I could live in Domus, it is so nice and convenient.

Wherever you decide living, make sure it is a place quiet enough that you can study/read at home anytime. There will be a lot of reading, and you don't want to have to come to the library to study.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Just got admitted, insanely excited. Definitely going to check it out for ASW.

Anyone going to ASW happen to be from the bay area? I'd love to have a travel partner/cut down on hotel costs. Shoot me a PM!

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:10 am

r6_philly wrote:
jpal13 wrote:I just got in today! Penn is my number 1 and so I am all in. What should I know? I am so excited!

Congrats! I believe a good number of people live in Domus. I wish I could live in Domus, it is so nice and convenient.

Wherever you decide living, make sure it is a place quiet enough that you can study/read at home anytime. There will be a lot of reading, and you don't want to have to come to the library to study.
Thank you, I'm very excited. What are the pros/cons of Fitler Square?

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Sent in my seat deposit a couple days ago...do we get a confirmation email when it is received, or is it noted by changes in the "Amount Paid" section of my status checker?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:Sent in my seat deposit a couple days ago...do we get a confirmation email when it is received, or is it noted by changes in the "Amount Paid" section of my status checker?
Last year it showed on the checker. However it's still busy season and I don't know if they are that quick with the deposits right now. I like your enthusiasm though!

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Checking in. There's definitely a possibility I'll end up in Philly this fall. :)

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:30 pm

The ASW schedule is online. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the Thursday night social but I may get to Philly too late.

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm

I got into UPenn back in December. I'm waiting to hear from Berkeley (my top choice) but if that doesn't work out I'm going to have to pick between UPenn and UVA. I want to practice in California and neither seems to have a huge boost for that market. The smaller class size of UPenn is a big plus for me but since the cost of living is way higher in Philly (compared to Charlottesville) it makes me nervous. I guess I have to see what my financial aid package will be before I decide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Aspen wrote:I got into UPenn back in December. I'm waiting to hear from Berkeley (my top choice) but if that doesn't work out I'm going to have to pick between UPenn and UVA. I want to practice in California and neither seems to have a huge boost for that market. The smaller class size of UPenn is a big plus for me but since the cost of living is way higher in Philly (compared to Charlottesville) it makes me nervous. I guess I have to see what my financial aid package will be before I decide.

Cost of living is not way higher in Philly. Actually it's about the same:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5 ... 2=55114968

It is just that Philly has more luxury offerings, giving you the sense that it is way higher. Some of my friends are living in apartments around 5-600/month.

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

I am totally at a loss about how to ask for merit aid....

Penn did not send me an invite to apply for a named scholarship last Friday. At this point I am choosing between Penn (which is my number 1), Columbia (no scholly offer yet), and Michigan (which offered $54k dean's scholarship).

Do I write Penn a letter, email, call or just wait a bit to request merit aid? If I contact them do I straight out say I am choosing between the 3?

I am leaning so hard for Penn for personal reasons that I am likely to go there regardless but it would make the choice a lot easier if they would toss me a bone. I guess I could go for broke at Columbia in NYC!

Aspen

Bronze

Post by Aspen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aspen wrote:I got into UPenn back in December. I'm waiting to hear from Berkeley (my top choice) but if that doesn't work out I'm going to have to pick between UPenn and UVA. I want to practice in California and neither seems to have a huge boost for that market. The smaller class size of UPenn is a big plus for me but since the cost of living is way higher in Philly (compared to Charlottesville) it makes me nervous. I guess I have to see what my financial aid package will be before I decide.

Cost of living is not way higher in Philly. Actually it's about the same:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5 ... 2=55114968

It is just that Philly has more luxury offerings, giving you the sense that it is way higher. Some of my friends are living in apartments around 5-600/month.
Oh wow that's pretty cool.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:33 pm

jpal13 wrote:I am totally at a loss about how to ask for merit aid....

Penn did not send me an invite to apply for a named scholarship last Friday. At this point I am choosing between Penn (which is my number 1), Columbia (no scholly offer yet), and Michigan (which offered $54k dean's scholarship).

Do I write Penn a letter, email, call or just wait a bit to request merit aid? If I contact them do I straight out say I am choosing between the 3?

I am leaning so hard for Penn for personal reasons that I am likely to go there regardless but it would make the choice a lot easier if they would toss me a bone. I guess I could go for broke at Columbia in NYC!
Wait for Penn's aid package to come out in March first. There isn't much point in negotiating with an offer that you haven't received yet. Penn gives awards up to 20k/yr as non-named scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpal13

Bronze

Post by jpal13 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Nelson wrote:

Wait for Penn's aid package to come out in March first. There isn't much point in negotiating with an offer that you haven't received yet. Penn gives awards up to 20k/yr as non-named scholarships.
Thanks, as you can tell I've moved from the stress of waiting for admits to the stress of waiting for financial aid.

This is all after the stress of deciding to go to law school and taking the LSAT. By end of 2012 it will be exams! It never stops.

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:58 pm

jpal13 wrote:Thanks, as you can tell I've moved from the stress of waiting for admits to the stress of waiting for financial aid.

This is all after the stress of deciding to go to law school and taking the LSAT. By end of 2012 it will be exams! It never stops.
Used to be like this too. I think there's a correlation, but even though it doesn't necessarily mean causation ( :lol: ), between the amount of time we spend on TLS and the level of stress in our lives. Therefore, I've been trying to seriously budget the amount of time I'm allowed to go on TLS. I've recently decided to take on a Que Sera, Sera approach to things and my life is noticeably much more pleasant.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 am

Nelson wrote:

Is 20k the most they give for non-named scholarships, even in like a matching scholarship situation with peer schools like Berkeley?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 am

Champion wrote:
Is 20k the most they give for non-named scholarships, even in like a matching scholarship situation with peer schools like Berkeley?
20k per year, pretty much. Remember even Wilson is only a half scholly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:38 am

Champion wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I'm just going off what they say on their website.

I have no idea to what extent they negotiate. There are definitely scholarships on LSN between 60k total and a full ride, I just assumed they were either Wilsons or Silverman/Rodins, which are both half tuition basically.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 am

Just to add, they didn't match mine, but they gave a good offer. I don't know anyone who received an exact match, but the sample is small.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am

r6_philly wrote:Just to add, they didn't match mine, but they gave a good offer. I don't know anyone who received an exact match, but the sample is small.
You were negotiating with an MVB offer(s)? I'm pretty annoyed that I'm not going to have any leverage with Penn since I'm not going to get into UVA or Mich. I would really prefer to go to Penn but don't think it's smart over CC if they're all at sticker or roughly equivalent.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:52 am

Nelson wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Just to add, they didn't match mine, but they gave a good offer. I don't know anyone who received an exact match, but the sample is small.
You were negotiating with an MVB offer(s)? I'm pretty annoyed that I'm not going to have any leverage with Penn since I'm not going to get into UVA or Mich. I would really prefer to go to Penn but don't think it's smart over CC if they're all at sticker or roughly equivalent.
I had a substantially larger V offer. I think enough for most people to choose V. Penn did changed the initial offer, but maybe most people would have chosen the V offer still. I had my personal preferences, so it worked out well for me. My M offer was smaller. My B offer was comparable. I had pretty much a full offer from UT. I was not really successful with negotiating with MVBD, but I can tell you B was more willing to listen. I appreciate that Penn took my negotiation seriously, but don't expect a full match.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”