UTexas Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: UTexas Law Class of 2015

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:56 pm

emkay625 wrote:I am interested in the E&Es you have and the flashcards if they're still available.

Also - what supplements are people getting? Is there anything aside from the textbooks listed that I should definitely get right now?

I have:
Contracts: Robin Effron
Torts: David Anderson
Crim: Steven Goode
Legal W&R: Stacy Sharp
For crim, get understanding crim, since it deals with MPC and traditional crim law. Im not sure what Goode emphasizes, but Understanding Crim should accommodate most teaching styles.

For Torts, get forms and functions of tort law. However, Anderson's casebook is phenomenal. The notes sections really break down the law so well that supplements are almost unnecessary. I liked forms and functions because it added in a little philosophical/policy background to some of the ideas behind tort law. Probably unnecessary, but nice to learn if you feel super comfortable with the basic stuff.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:57 pm

bananabanana wrote:Yeah, where is the activity on this thread it is only the most important thread on TLS. :)

Can we bring a cat (significant other) for the mandatory orientation? Do they have a fish option?

Also, where is the best place to get practice tests from professors?

Most practice tests are on the tarlton website. A few older exams are in print in the library.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Also, is anyone else feeling super unprepared? When that girl posted on Facebook that she'd been doing CALI lessons over the summer I felt overwhelmed. Have other people been doing them?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I am interested in the E&Es you have and the flashcards if they're still available.

Also - what supplements are people getting? Is there anything aside from the textbooks listed that I should definitely get right now?

I have:
Contracts: Robin Effron
Torts: David Anderson
Crim: Steven Goode
Legal W&R: Stacy Sharp
For crim, get understanding crim, since it deals with MPC and traditional crim law. Im not sure what Goode emphasizes, but Understanding Crim should accommodate most teaching styles.

For Torts, get forms and functions of tort law. However, Anderson's casebook is phenomenal. The notes sections really break down the law so well that supplements are almost unnecessary. I liked forms and functions because it added in a little philosophical/policy background to some of the ideas behind tort law. Probably unnecessary, but nice to learn if you feel super comfortable with the basic stuff.
thanks!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:38 pm

emkay625 wrote:Also, is anyone else feeling super unprepared? When that girl posted on Facebook that she'd been doing CALI lessons over the summer I felt overwhelmed. Have other people been doing them?
That's dumb. She doesn't even know what the prof will emphasize. As an example, my Ks prof spent half the semester on the UCC, while my SO's prof barely touched the UCC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Is anyone else confused about the "we will deposit your scholarship in your checking account" e-mail?

tomorrowperson

New

Post by tomorrowperson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 pm

emkay625 wrote:Is anyone else confused about the "we will deposit your scholarship in your checking account" e-mail?
If you have your bank info set up with UT's direct deposit then you will get your scholarship money soon. I got mine today.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:16 pm

emkay625 wrote:Also, is anyone else feeling super unprepared? When that girl posted on Facebook that she'd been doing CALI lessons over the summer I felt overwhelmed. Have other people been doing them?
Don't sweat it. The game hasn't even started yet.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 pm

jwahba wrote:Alright, I am section 4A

29090 Constitutional Law I Lino A Graglia
28935 Property Peter M Gerhart
29065 Civil Procedure Alexandra W Albright
28965 Legal Rsch & Legal Wr Elana S Einhorn

Any word on Albright and Einhorn?
Albright? No bueno.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

tomorrowperson wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Is anyone else confused about the "we will deposit your scholarship in your checking account" e-mail?
If you have your bank info set up with UT's direct deposit then you will get your scholarship money soon. I got mine today.
It doesn't just get applied to our tuition?

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 pm

emkay625 wrote:
tomorrowperson wrote:
It doesn't just get applied to our tuition?
I think it does, but most people get enough scholarship+finaid to cover more than just tuition.

bananabanana

New

Post by bananabanana » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:19 am

JazzOne wrote:

Albright? No bueno.

Hey,

Could you elaborate?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:29 am

bananabanana wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Albright? No bueno.

Hey,

Could you elaborate?
I did not have her 1L year. I took her Texas Civ Pro class later on. On the first day of class, she made the whole class line up around the room and count off so we could get into groups. It felt like 2nd grade, and she lost credibility on day 1. She never really gained it back, IMO. We did a lot of group work, which felt completely contrived. I know that she must be smart because she used to work at BB or Fulbright or something, and she authored our case book. But I just feel like she got tenure and then mentally checked out. A lot of folks like her, but her civ pro lectures seemed like a bunch of wishy washy whatever-you-want-it-to-be kind of answers.

ETA: I'm not entirely opposed to group work. I also took Albright's ADR class, and the group work was great in that context. I just don't think assigning group work during class is an effective way to teach a common law subject. Group work plays a lot better in a practical skills course.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hurley28

New

Post by hurley28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:27 am

This is off topic, but would anyone recommend one of these? I won one but I'm not sure which one I should choose.

- "Law in a Flash" Torts Flash Cards
- Bouvier Law Dictionary
- Strategies and Tactics for the First Year Law Student
- "Blond's Law Guides" Property
- What Every Law Student Needs to Know
- "Emanuel Crunch Time" Contracts Study Guide
- "Emanuel" Civil Procedure Study Guide

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 am

hurley28 wrote:This is off topic, but would anyone recommend one of these? I won one but I'm not sure which one I should choose.

- Bouvier Law Dictionary
I'm super jealous! How'd you win one? (Also I've heard Crunch Time is good).

xc326

New

Post by xc326 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:41 pm

emkay625 wrote:
hurley28 wrote:This is off topic, but would anyone recommend one of these? I won one but I'm not sure which one I should choose.

- Bouvier Law Dictionary

I think from that you can win these from the Law Preview site!! I got some of these from taking the class.

I like Emanuel's Civil Procedure Guide. The book has great reviews on amazon (see http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-E ... +Procedure). I hear Civil Procedure is hard and a FREE supplement shouldn't hurt.

I WOULDN'T recommend Strategies and Tactics for the First Year Law Student. I got this book for free and thought about throwing that book away.

xc326

New

Post by xc326 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm

tomorrowperson wrote:
I should have set up my direct deposit account. I forgot! Now it's being sent to my home address as I'm moving to Texas. Noooo!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:52 pm

xc326 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

- Bouvier Law Dictionary

I think from that you can win these from the Law Preview site!! I got some of these from taking the class.

I like Emanuel's Civil Procedure Guide. The book has great reviews on amazon (see http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-E ... +Procedure). I hear Civil Procedure is hard and a FREE supplement shouldn't hurt.

I WOULDN'T recommend Strategies and Tactics for the First Year Law Student. I got this book for free and thought about throwing that book away.

you wasted your money on a law preview class?

xc326

New

Post by xc326 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:00 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
xc326 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

- Bouvier Law Dictionary

you wasted your money on a law preview class?
The law preview class was free for me and there was a class close to me. I figured it didn't hurt to attend!

Phl1787

New

Post by Phl1787 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

Any tips on:
Mullenix/CivPro
McGarity/Torts
Chesney/ConLaw

Thank you!

bananabanana

New

Post by bananabanana » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Yay a syllabus!!!

Con Law I
Professor Lino Graglia

The text consists entirely of Sales Office materials. In addition a few pages of “Questions” following some of the cases will be posted on Blackboard (under the heading of “course documents”). The Table of Contents is also the Syllabus.
For the first day, you should prepare a one or two page outline of the Constitution and read “How the Constitution Disappeared.” After that, you should be prepared about 20 pages ahead of where the last class left off.
My office is JON 6.225. My official office hours will be Monday 2 to 4 pm, but you should feel free to visit any time that I am here -- which is usually -- except just before class.
You will be graded solely on the written exam, which will be closed book, four hours, and essay type.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 am

Is anyone friends with 2Ls or 3Ls? I'm curious as to if OCI is seeming better or worse to people this year.

PrincetonBound

New

Post by PrincetonBound » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 am

Anyone know when/where we're supposed to pick up our course packets? I already have two assignments out of mine...

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm

My undergrad had coupon books free for students every semester. Does anyone know if Texas does as well and where I could get some?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:50 pm

PrincetonBound wrote:Anyone know when/where we're supposed to pick up our course packets? I already have two assignments out of mine...
You have to pay for the course packets. Go down the main stairs into the basement. That's where they sold the course packets last year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”