UTexas Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
sarahmargie

Bronze

Re: UTexas Law Class of 2015

Post by sarahmargie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 pm

emkay625 wrote:I'm starting to get excited. Going house hunting this weekend.

I've gone three times and haven't found anything. Of course, I need a lot of space. Have you looked at the University apartments?

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 am

I'll probably go in mid-May. I hope it won't be too bad at that point ._.

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

sarahmargie wrote:

I've gone three times and haven't found anything. Of course, I need a lot of space. Have you looked at the University apartments?
I actually looked at them during ASD weekend. Ehhhhh, not much to look at. There was almost a "project housing" feel :lol:

I did sign up just to have as a plan B should we not be able to find anything from Ohio, but I'm hoping I don't have to do it.

Masala716

New

Post by Masala716 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 pm

I am on the wait list at UCLA and made the trip down this weekend to check out the school. One of the girls in my tour group was from UT and she said that UT's law school was notorious for having miserable students. This really took me by surprise.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:04 pm

Masala716 wrote:I am on the wait list at UCLA and made the trip down this weekend to check out the school. One of the girls in my tour group was from UT and she said that UT's law school was notorious for having miserable students. This really took me by surprise.
Did she reek of did-not-get-in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Masala716

New

Post by Masala716 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:16 am

no she was in, she just didnt want to go.

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Um really? Are you really in our thread with this......

GTFOH.... :roll:

Anyway fellow soon to be miserable folks....I hope all the TLS folks are in my society

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Masala716 wrote:no she was in, she just didnt want to go.
yeah going to the 3rd best school in an already over saturated region seems to be the smarter choice...

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:02 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:
yeah going to the 3rd best school in an already over saturated region seems to be the smarter choice...
My thoughts exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:05 am

T00L wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
It's because it's 10k/year more and 5k/year more for living expenses. Nothing says happy like a $12 bud light.

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:41 am

These previous posts are a great example of Texas pride. I love it.

Yes, we are overly proud of Texas, if that's possible.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:00 pm

eaper wrote:
T00L wrote:
PrincetonLaw wrote:
My thoughts exactly.
It's because it's 10k/year more and 5k/year more for living expenses. Nothing says happy like a $12 bud light.
I'm in LA right now, and my wallet hurts for just this reason.

... Even though an OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale is worth whatever they charge me...

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed May 02, 2012 12:01 am

Masala716 wrote:I am on the wait list at UCLA and made the trip down this weekend to check out the school. One of the girls in my tour group was from UT and she said that UT's law school was notorious for having miserable students. This really took me by surprise.
sounds to me like the only law students she knows go to UT. We're all miserable compared to undergrads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:07 am

Would anybody be interested in joining a pub trivia team in Austin next year?

BVest

Platinum

House Rental preview

Post by BVest » Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Howdy Future 'Horns!

The wife, dog, and I will be packing up and headed to Dallas for SMU this summer, and as a result we've got a house (which we've put a lot of work into making perfect) that we're going to rent out for the next three years.

We're not set to market it yet (haven't figured out what we're charging, exact move-out for us, etc.), but I'll describe it some. If you're interested, PM me your email address and we'll send info out to you when we get further along in the process.

It's more of a family home and neighborhood, so more likely to appeal to those of you who, like me, are more non-traditional.

3 Bed 2 Bath; 2 living areas + dining; 1850 sf

Renovated 2008 (kitchen and 2nd bath renovated even more recently) with large master suite including walk-in shower and large soaker tub

Full-size Stacking W/D or Connections for same (not clear if we're taking those with us or not)

Built in shelves/cabinets in family room

Wood floors (stone in kitchen/bathrooms)

Gated (automatic) driveway

Fully fenced yard (including lockable rail around front porch) with tons of shade

Low maintenance yard with auto sprinklers

1 car detached garage

Brentwood neighborhood (Koenig between Lamar & Burnet Rd) 15 minutes from campus (it takes me 15 to drive to work downtown). Half block from #5 bus (which stops at San Jacinto/Dean Keeton, half block from law school); 6 blocks from Brentwood Elementary and local park (ETA: also 9 blocks from both Lamar Middle School & McCallum HS). 4 blocks from Thunderbird Coffee. 9-12 blocks from grocery, pharmacy, restaurants, fast food, etc.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Heeeey I might just be joining you guys this year afterall. I got a matching scholly offer after GW decided to throw $$$ at me for some reason.

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:49 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:
As they say on this thread, +1.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 pm

I am thrilled for you all! Congratulations! As a representative of UT Law alumni, welcome to the UT Law family!

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 pm

This is the kind of misinformation I cannot stand. I am sure all law schools have their share of miserable folks. However, I don't recall any of my fellow classmates being miserable when I attended a few years ago. Not to mention, we just had our five year reunion in Austin at Reunion Weekend two weeks ago. It was a blast! So I think most alumni are very pleased with the law school's ability to put them on a successful track to a very satisfying legal career.

Masala716

New

Post by Masala716 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:38 pm

utlaw2007 wrote:Masala716 wrote:
I am on the wait list at UCLA and made the trip down this weekend to check out the school. One of the girls in my tour group was from UT and she said that UT's law school was notorious for having miserable students. This really took me by surprise.

This is the kind of misinformation I cannot stand. I am sure all law schools have their share of miserable folks. However, I don't recall any of my fellow classmates being miserable when I attended a few years ago. Not to mention, we just had our five year reunion in Austin at Reunion Weekend two weeks ago. It was a blast! So I think most alumni are very pleased with the law school's ability to put them on a successful track to a very satisfying legal career.
Note that I said it took me by surprise. I had a great time on campus when I visited Texas, and went out with some people that I met when I sat in on a civ pro class. They all told me they were really happy they chose to come to Texas.

I'm 99% sure that I will be in Austin this fall, and am pretty pumped up about it. Only reason I wouldn't go is finances.

me!0712

New

Post by me!0712 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi guys! Checking in. I wasn't sure that I would be comin to Austin in the fall until now. A couple o questions:

Why is this thread so quiet and only have 3 pgs.

When is orientation?

What do you think about the school's new dean?

That is all. Excited to meet everyone come fall.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jwahba

New

Post by jwahba » Wed May 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, I heard about the new dean. The fact that Boston University students are sad to see him go bodes well for UT's USNWR but at this point, we're just reading tea leaves. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/05/texas-hi ... aw-school/

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Mon May 21, 2012 3:17 am

This thread really is dead. What do we need to do to get it going again? Start planning adventures to 6th street?

sarahmargie

Bronze

Post by sarahmargie » Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 am

eaper wrote:This thread really is dead. What do we need to do to get it going again? Start planning adventures to 6th street?

Hell yeah! Or Barton Springs.

kirker

New

Post by kirker » Mon May 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm not going to UT Law, but I noticed this board and wanted to point out a few things:

1) The only thing worse than the housing situation around UT is the parking. The smartest thing to do is to plan on living somewhere on the very extensive (and free for students) UT Shuttle system, which covers a pretty wide swath both north of campus and also in certain areas of town 5-10 miles away that are basically "student ghettos" (apartment complexes filled almost entirely with UT students). This being Austin, housing isn't cheap, and the closer you are to UT, the pricier it gets. If you really, really want to live within walking (or at least biking) distance to campus, try searching just north of it (the law school is on the campus's northern border). Avoid the West Campus neighborhood unless you want lots of partying frat boys in your midst.

2) Student housing is minimal at best, and what's available sucks across the board. Better bet finding something along the shuttle route.

3) Commuting by car and trying to park near campus is dicey at best. You can't get an on-campus permit as a commuter student, meaning you'll have to park either in a metered spot or in an adjacent neighborhood (most of which have permit-only street parking). I don't know the current rates for renting a parking spot near the law school, but I think it's around $200/month.

4) As noted, a number of regular CapitalMetro buses serve the UT area, and are also free for students (though not for their exclusive use like the shuttles are). That might be your best option if you live in parts of East Austin, which is presently the hipster area of town (but nevertheless much cheaper than most housing west of I-35).

Good luck! Btw there are a bunch of smaller, older apartment complexes within walking distance of the law school, but like I said, they're not cheap. The only two people I know in that area pay $1600 for a 2BR/1BA apartment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”