Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
bdubs

Gold

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

Post by bdubs » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:40 pm

terriers wrote:Does anybody remember if there was supposed to be a dress code for orientation? I thought I remembered reading something about business casual, but now I can't find it. I'm hoping there isn't, but it probably wouldn't be good to be the only person there in a t-shirt.
You will have your picture taken for your student ID and the internal facebook. I think they use the facebook for professor seating charts and maybe even for employer resume books (not sure about this so don't quote me on it). I would wear something you would be comfortable having circulated in a professional environment.

That doesn't mean a suit though, go with something business casual-ish.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:41 pm

terriers wrote:Does anybody remember if there was supposed to be a dress code for orientation? I thought I remembered reading something about business casual, but now I can't find it. I'm hoping there isn't, but it probably wouldn't be good to be the only person there in a t-shirt.
I think there is a biz cazh dress code for one event (cocktail thing iirc) but not for orientation overall.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 pm

I'll be biz casual for day one (for the facebook/Wildcard photo) and hopefully just casual thereafter. The only thing on the schedule where attire is specified is the cocktail reception on Thursday evening (biz casual).

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I'll be biz casual for day one (for the facebook/Wildcard photo) and hopefully just casual thereafter. The only thing on the schedule where attire is specified is the cocktail reception on Thursday evening (biz casual).
People were casual/business casual throughout, although looking smart for the first day is wise. If you don't look sloppy you won't be out of place.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I'll be biz casual for day one (for the facebook/Wildcard photo) and hopefully just casual thereafter. The only thing on the schedule where attire is specified is the cocktail reception on Thursday evening (biz casual).
People were casual/business casual throughout, although looking smart for the first day is wise. If you don't look sloppy you won't be out of place.
Ugh, whyyyyyyy? :cry: I don't have more than 2 days of business casual! If I can't wear jeans, golf shorts or cargo pants, my wardrobe only covers about 3 outfits!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Ugh, whyyyyyyy? :cry: I don't have more than 2 days of business casual! If I can't wear jeans, golf shorts or cargo pants, my wardrobe only covers about 3 outfits!
Business casual is entirely unnecessary.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
we can fix this. TO NORDSTROM!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:19 am

aside from taking your picture wearing anything special is completely unnecessary. Wear shorts and a t-shirt. no one cares and it doesn't matter.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:19 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Business casual is entirely unnecessary.
I wore jeans or shorts every day and a polo shirt. T-shirt would work, too.

I remember seeing a few people in suits...don't do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:24 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
we can fix this. TO NORDSTROM!
lol no money. :|

I may buy, like, a blouse or something at some point. Right now I have a dark navy skirt suit, 1 shell, 1 white button-down shirt, and one pair of black slacks.

This is what happens when your job involves standing in muddy fields and your social life revolves around an ice rink.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 am

Flips88 wrote:aside from taking your picture wearing anything special is completely unnecessary. Wear shorts and a t-shirt. no one cares and it doesn't matter.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Is anything mandatory on Sunday? I didn't think so, but one of the events on Sunday is in black but it seems to cater to only one group?

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm

And are there any types of books that you definitely want to buy new, or can you just go used with all of them?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Hate to flood the thread with questions, but when you enter a class and the only books given are bookstore recommended does that mean the professor hasn't assigned any or won't assign any.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:Hate to flood the thread with questions, but when you enter a class and the only books given are bookstore recommended does that mean the professor hasn't assigned any or won't assign any.
Recommended = not required. personal choice on whether to get them, but I think I only bought one recommended book, and it was for contracts.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Icculus wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Hate to flood the thread with questions, but when you enter a class and the only books given are bookstore recommended does that mean the professor hasn't assigned any or won't assign any.
Recommended = not required. personal choice on whether to get them, but I think I only bought one recommended book, and it was for contracts.
Not neccessarily. I got an email from Nadler (section 1 Crim) listing the two books she requires, but they are only listed as recommended on the bookstore site.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Not neccessarily. I got an email from Nadler (section 1 Crim) listing the two books she requires, but they are only listed as recommended on the bookstore site.
Hmmm, that's odd. I know with my section last year recommended was really up to you. I would check w/ the prof 1st day then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Hmmm, that's odd. I know with my section last year recommended was really up to you. I would check w/ the prof 1st day then.
Lol its 1L crim, they're definitely going to need whichever is the case book. Probably won't (but might) need whichever seems more of a supplement.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Not neccessarily. I got an email from Nadler (section 1 Crim) listing the two books she requires, but they are only listed as recommended on the bookstore site.
Lol its 1L crim, they're definitely going to need whichever is the case book. Probably won't (but might) need whichever seems more of a supplement.
I think in this case, Nadler must not have gotten her book list to the bookstore on time, because for a long time it didn't list any books at all for her class. Now the books (which she specifically says are required in the email) are listed as 'bookstore recommended.' Other classes have just plain 'recommended.'

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Not neccessarily. I got an email from Nadler (section 1 Crim) listing the two books she requires, but they are only listed as recommended on the bookstore site.
I think in this case, Nadler must not have gotten her book list to the bookstore on time, because for a long time it didn't list any books at all for her class. Now the books (which she specifically says are required in the email) are listed as 'bookstore recommended.' Other classes have just plain 'recommended.'
Yeah, Nadler's list was late because when I first looked for books, there weren't any listed for Crim.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 pm

splitmuch wrote: Lol its 1L crim, they're definitely going to need whichever is the case book. Probably won't (but might) need whichever seems more of a supplement.
Well we had several recommended books that were unnecessary and even a few required (think Property Anthology) that weren't really necessary. Unless the crim supplement is Dressler I doubt it's worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Icculus wrote:
splitmuch wrote: Lol its 1L crim, they're definitely going to need whichever is the case book. Probably won't (but might) need whichever seems more of a supplement.
Well we had several recommended books that were unnecessary and even a few required (think Property Anthology) that weren't really necessary. Unless the crim supplement is Dressler I doubt it's worth it.
Lol property anthology I forgot about that one. Oh and the required bennett contracts book that wasn't the case book. Don't buy that. But I think what she said is that both of Nadler's books are listed as "recommended" and none are "required." What I was trying to say was buy whichever of the recommended books is the case book and forget the other until you figure out otherwise.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Lol property anthology I forgot about that one. Oh and the required bennett contracts book that wasn't the case book. Don't buy that. But I think what she said is that both of Nadler's books are listed as "recommended" and none are "required." What I was trying to say was buy whichever of the recommended books is the case book and forget the other until you figure out otherwise.
Oh yeah, agree with that. casebook is actually kind of important.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
Icculus wrote:
That answers it. I'll see you in section 1 for crim. I didn't get an email from her though.... :shock:

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Getting a pair of khakis might be useful. Or chinos or something. But yeah, suits are a bda idea for orientation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”