Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:
NorthwesternorBust wrote:Sorry to ask just a billion questions all in a row... but for the Notebook program... I click on the link in the pre-matriculation guide and the link doesn't have the new models (2012-2013) list up and it also won't even let me click on the old list because it asks for a password/net ID that isn't accepting my current one.

Any clue?

edit: I'd love to get my computer bought today, is the reason I am asking. But want to see what I need to buy and see if I can get a discount!
Reset/change your net id password and you will be able to login to the notebook program site
I did and I can't, fwiw.
I just realized they do have the requirements list on a link that is working. So at least I have that. I'm guessing if I buy a good laptop from Best Buy with all of those requirements than it'll be fine? Just won't get to use the IT department for Northwestern I guess is the downfall.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 pm

NorthwesternorBust wrote:I just realized they do have the requirements list on a link that is working. So at least I have that. I'm guessing if I buy a good laptop from Best Buy with all of those requirements than it'll be fine? Just won't get to use the IT department for Northwestern I guess is the downfall.
The website still lists the models from last year. Not sure what the deal is.

Here they are though
Option One: Dell Latitude E6320 (Starting at 3.64Lbs)
Intel® Core™ i5-2520M (2.50GHz, 3M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, with 13.3" HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit, with Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic
500GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM
4GB, DDR3-1333 SDRAM (2 Dimms)
8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™, no Media
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit
3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year Next Business Day Onsite Service
Dell Wireless™ 1501 802.11b/g/n Half Mini Card

Option Two: Dell Latitude E6420 (Starting 4.56Lbs)
Intel® Core™ i5-2520M (2.5GHz, 3M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, with 14.1" HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit, with Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic
500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
4.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit
3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year Next Business Day Onsite Service
Dell Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 802.11a/b/g/n Half Mini Card

Option Two: Apple Macbook Pro (Starting 5.6Lbs)
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor (2.0GHz), with 15.4” WXGA (1440x900) Display
500GB Hard Drive 5400RPM
4GB, DDR3-1333 SDRAM
8x SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-RW/DL)
Mac OS X 10.6 Leopard
1 Year Warranty included (AppleCare recommended, adds an additional 2 years. $239 extra)
Apple Airport 802.11 A/B/G/N Wireless Card
You really don't need to buy through the notebook program. Especially if you buy something in the same model series from Apple, Dell, or Lenovo.

Here are the purchase links :

Dell
http://premier.dell.com/premier/acc_lgn ... 57E94120B7

Apple
http://store.apple.com/us-hed

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm

bdubs, very helpful links. Thanks.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:36 pm

FWIW, I highly recommend that you buy a lighter/smaller computer rather than the ones listed especially if you have a commute. Books + computer = heavy.

I use a MacBook Air and it's great. There's an Apple store approximately three blocks from the law school. There are several other companies that are making laptops like the Air too.

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, I think I'm just going to go with the Dell 6320 then. Wish I was more tech savvy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:55 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:FWIW, I highly recommend that you buy a lighter/smaller computer rather than the ones listed especially if you have a commute. Books + computer = heavy.

I use a MacBook Air and it's great. There's an Apple store approximately three blocks from the law school. There are several other companies that are making laptops like the Air too.
Can you buy an Air and participate in the notebook repair/loaner program?

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01 pm

I thought you had to buy your computer through the notebook program to have that option? And macs aren't offered? Their sentiment seemed like, "macs usually work fine but you're on your own"

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:37 pm

kerflux wrote:I thought you had to buy your computer through the notebook program to have that option? And macs aren't offered? Their sentiment seemed like, "macs usually work fine but you're on your own"

Ya, that's how I understood it. If things go bad, I'm sure Apple will take care of it. They replace iPhones and iPads on the spot, and if your laptop is totally broken they'll probably replace that too.

And FTR,I too can't login to the notebook page.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Can anyone link me to the laptop requirements page? Tyia!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NorthwesternorBust

Silver

Post by NorthwesternorBust » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:12 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Can anyone link me to the laptop requirements page? Tyia!!! :D
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/infosys/standards/

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:18 pm

kerflux wrote:I thought you had to buy your computer through the notebook program to have that option? And macs aren't offered? Their sentiment seemed like, "macs usually work fine but you're on your own"
Oh man, Macs were part of the program when I looked in June. That sucks. Apple's repair support is fantastic, but you can't beat getting an immediate loaner.

splitsplat

Silver

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 - where all da vacant apartments at?

Post by splitsplat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:haha, I was just looking at this year's 1L profs and noticed that section 2 will have both the lovely and humble Ron Allen for Civ Pro AND our beloved new dean for property.
holy shit
since this is me, can you explain why I should be crying- other than 8AM starts everyday?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Just an FYI, my Shapo and McMasters stuff have been claimed.

Still have stuff for Pfander's civ pro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:46 pm

I have a copy of Shapo's torts book plus his hornbook (worth its weight in gold). Also 2 copies of the Civ Pro book used by Pfander/Redish. Both need unloading for chump change. PM me.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Most of my stiff has been claimed by a do have a property E&E that I want to get rid of. Makle me an offer.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Icculus wrote:Most of my stiff has been claimed by a do have a property E&E that I want to get rid of. Makle me an offer.
Icculus, are you drunk? :lol:

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 pm

crumps, I wanted to apologize for turning your name into something obscene in the imgur roulette thread. :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:03 am

splitsplat wrote:crumps, I wanted to apologize for turning your name into something obscene in the imgur roulette thread. :oops:
Hahaha oh it's fine why do you think I choose it? (hint urban dictionary)

just kidding that's not why I choose it

dasneak

New

Post by dasneak » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 am

Hey guys. Can't believe I haven't been on TLS since shortly after I was accepted (funny how I was refreshing the page a million times a day until then, though.) I've actually been trying to get to know the incoming class on the FB group but it seems that forum is reserved for apartment-hunting posts and planning nationwide happy hours, though I'll admit the amount of people trying to get drunk together is a promising sign for the coming year. SO excited to move to Chicago. I have a few questions I hoped someone could answer:

1) What is everyone doing about furniture? I'm moving from California and am flying, not driving, so most of my furniture has to be bought in Chicago itself. Thinking of just ordering and having it delivered, but if there are other, cheaper/more convenient options, am open to those as well. If I do end up ordering, though, I need to get on that ASAP.

2) Moving to Onterie Center in Streeterville. Mixed reviews on Yelp for this place...getting a little nervous. Location is awesome but I've heard some things about the units that are concerning me. Anyone know anything?

2) I have a MacBook that I'm bringing. It's four years old but it's in okay condition and has a two-year old harddrive. Was probably going to bring an iPad and wireless keyboard to take notes and access textbooks in class, but will still have the laptop in my apartment for heftier tasks. Any knowledge of whether our books are generally available online? Am I going to be the only idiot with an iPad?

Looking forward to meeting you all soon! Anyone else in Section 4, or Section 1 for CLR?

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 am

1) that's what I did, and I made the same move. Aside from maybe getting a few things at IKEA in the future, I decided to get the essentials delivered after I touched down.

2) I feel like apartment complexes are genuinely critiqued very harshly online. I moved in a few days back, same spot, and haven't had a single issue yet. Actually really like it, thus far

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

3) Taking notes in law school often requires you to be looking at the casebook. Can you look at the digital textbook while taking notes on an ipad? I know someone who used an ipad for books in the spring, so some of them are digitally available, but she didn't also take notes on the same ipad.

Regarding computer specs, here are the specs 0Ls should care about: How long does the battery last? Does the wifi work? Does it run Microsoft Word? Is it heavy to carry EVERYWHERE? Can I look at one word document (my outline) while typing in another (my exam file)? Can I type really fast on it? Does it allow me to shop for shoes and gchat my friends during contracts class? That's it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Are people signing up to do the day of service on Saturday or Sunday?

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Bumi wrote:Regarding computer specs, here are the specs 0Ls should care about: How long does the battery last? Does the wifi work? Does it run Microsoft Word? Is it heavy to carry EVERYWHERE? Can I look at one word document (my outline) while typing in another (my exam file)? Can I type really fast on it? Does it allow me to shop for shoes and gchat my friends during contracts class? That's it.
This is important, especially if you're in section one with Bennett. Though I did not usually shop for shoes, but did book all my flights home in class. gchat is key, especially if you're stuck on something during a cold call and one of your friends wants to help you out.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Every damn time I tried to help someone during a cold call I was either (1) wrong or (2) they were too petrified with fear to look at gchat.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Bumi wrote:Every damn time I tried to help someone during a cold call I was either (1) wrong or (2) they were too petrified with fear to look at gchat.
That's funny, I actually managed to help someone out once, I felt like a saint.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”