Whoa. This is just wrong. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NewDay

New

Re: Whoa. This is just wrong.

Post by NewDay » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
I think what is going on in Maricopa County is acceptable to the local community, but it's not to large groups of people elsewhere in the country.
I was talking to someone about this the other day. I bet that my feelings about Maricopa County are similar to, although not as strong as, the way Black people must have felt about southern towns [strike]in the '60s[/strike] yesterday. Theoretically I'm still a US citizen with all its rights and privileges if I travel there, but I have zero faith that the Sheriff's office cares about a technicality like the bill of rights.
+1

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Renzo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
I think what is going on in Maricopa County is acceptable to the local community, but it's not to large groups of people elsewhere in the country.
I was talking to someone about this the other day. I bet that my feelings about Maricopa County are similar to, although not as strong as, the way Black people must have felt about southern towns [strike]in the '60s[/strike] yesterday. Theoretically I'm still a US citizen with all its rights and privileges if I travel there, but I have zero faith that the Sheriff's office cares about a technicality like the bill of rights.
This is true too, but I think nearly all municipalities at least pretend to care about racial justice now, even if the practice at street level says otherwise. In Arapaioland, and 30 years ago in the south, there is no pretense. He "investigates" judges that don't fall in line, and staged an armed raid on the county clerks office instead of waiting for a lawsuit to settle the dispute between the agencies.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Though my generation is making it right--so many of my classmates in high school were having interracial babies that the town's going to all be the same color soon.
"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color."

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm

NayBoer wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Though my generation is making it right--so many of my classmates in high school were having interracial babies that the town's going to all be the same color soon.
"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color."
I love that film.

Marmot

Bronze

Post by Marmot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:22 pm

...and here's the next exciting chapter in the continued exploits of Sheriff Joe "Stalin" Arpaio.

The outrage will help me take my mind off of how much I may have screwed up my answer to one of the questions on my property exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:05 pm

I know I'm late to the game but that judge seemed absolutely retarded.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Marmot wrote:...and here's the next exciting chapter in the continued exploits of Sheriff Joe "Stalin" Arpaio.

The outrage will help me take my mind off of how much I may have screwed up my answer to one of the questions on my property exam.
From the above linked article
"We're becoming the laughingstock of America."
Who the fuck is laughing? A crazy man is using armed men to wage war on civil rights, liberties, democracy, and justice and they think we're laughing?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:34 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Bullworth?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Bumping 'cause there's a rumor Arpaio will get indicted, along with the crooked prosecutor who flaks for him. They got into arguments with neighboring government officials and broke the main rule of being a grandstanding politician: don't fuck with other powerful people. When he was terrorizing alien or unsympathetic groups like immigrants, deadbeat dads and criminals then it was easy to get away with. Once he started trying his bully tactics on judges, prosecutors and city employees, suddenly he wasn't so powerful.

http://www.espressopundit.com/2010/01/t ... nfold.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 pm

NayBoer wrote:Bumping 'cause there's a rumor Arpaio will get indicted, along with the crooked prosecutor who flaks for him. They got into arguments with neighboring government officials and broke the main rule of being a grandstanding politician: don't fuck with other powerful people. When he was terrorizing alien or unsympathetic groups like immigrants, deadbeat dads and criminals then it was easy to get away with. Once he started trying his bully tactics on judges, prosecutors and city employees, suddenly he wasn't so powerful.

http://www.espressopundit.com/2010/01/t ... nfold.html
Thanks for posting that, I would have missed it. Man, I can't believe that didn't make a bigger splash in the newsmedia.

macattaq

Bronze

Post by macattaq » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah, me too. I went home for about a week and a half over break, and I saw very little about this. Not that I was going out of my way to look, but this wasn't something that people even seem to be talking about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”