How Important Is Moot Court? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dreamcatcher

New

How Important Is Moot Court?

Post by dreamcatcher » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 pm

International Moot Court tryouts are this week. I have a genuine interest in international law, but I'm already on a law journal anyway. I hate to make the decision purely about what is going to get me ahead, but I don't particularly feel like expending the energy, not for the tryout nor for being on the team itself, though if I were on it I would give it 100%. At the same time I feel like you shouldn't simply pass up an opportunity, right?

If you already have a law journal, is the benefit of moot court only marginal, or would it still add substantially to a resume?

macattaq

Bronze

Re: How Important Is Moot Court?

Post by macattaq » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 pm

I would make the guess, although my experience is rather limited, that any journal other than Law Review doesn't count for much in the application process. Moot Court and/or Moot Court Board on the other hand, will help you give a boost that is similar to LR when you apply. This is how I understand it to be, although I could be quite wrong. If this is true though, then you may as well do MC. Hopefully, people with more experience can provide some insight into this.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:03 am

I don't think that's completely accurate, macattaq, although doing very well/winning the moot court competition may provide more of a boost. (I've done both moot court and a secondary journal, and been through recruiting after having done so.)

From (the limited) feedback I got regarding the issue, moot court and the journal work seemed roughly equivalent in my interviewers' eyes, althoughI did get the comment "you did both in one year - that must have been rough" or something like it a couple times.

Law review would be above both in terms of importance.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 am

Its importance is moot.

edmoser

New

Post by edmoser » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 am

I have to agree with DelDad... moot court and a secondary journal are basically equivalents. One may have a slight edge over the other depending on how well known the journal is and whether you win moot court competitions, but it's pretty negligible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 pm

If you're not on LR, I would def go ahead and do the moot court to beef up your credentials.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:44 pm

DelDad wrote:I don't think that's completely accurate, macattaq, although doing very well/winning the moot court competition may provide more of a boost. (I've done both moot court and a secondary journal, and been through recruiting after having done so.)

From (the limited) feedback I got regarding the issue, moot court and the journal work seemed roughly equivalent in my interviewers' eyes, althoughI did get the comment "you did both in one year - that must have been rough" or something like it a couple times.

Law review would be above both in terms of importance.
+1

Mark71121

Bronze

Post by Mark71121 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:52 pm

law review >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> moot ct./2nd jrnal

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:31 pm

I just wanted to clarify and emphasize Mark71121's point:

Law Review >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>moot ct/jrnl

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:55 pm

not very. if you want to clerk, you really should do a journal.

dreamcatcher

New

Post by dreamcatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Not doing moot court. The same amount and quality of work is involved in the law journal as the law review. I'm not sure why law review would be deemed leagues beyond the journal.

I'm looking forward to being an attorney, but the "prestige-whoring" of the legal profession gets kind of obnoxious.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm looking forward to being an attorney, but the "prestige-whoring" of the legal profession gets kind of obnoxious.
It does indeed, it does indeed.

ks2pa

New

Post by ks2pa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 pm

Mark71121 wrote:law review >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> moot ct./2nd jrnal
I am on the MCB at my school (and not LR) and I agree completely. LR is much more prestigious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”