Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which audio series is overall the best?

Law School Legends
15%
Sum and Substance
22%
They're just companies, it depends entirely on the subject
63%

Total votes: 27

geoffree

Bronze

Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance

Post by geoffree » Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Anyone who has experience with these want to pipe up with a preference? Or is it the case, as I imagine, that it all depends on the prof? If so, which one (TLS or S&S) for which subject?

Just as a heads up, I'm an 0L. Please don't flame me for posting in the forum for Law School Students :mrgreen:

upgrade

Bronze

Re: Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance

Post by upgrade » Mon May 04, 2009 12:24 am

It depends heavily on your prof and the prof on the CDs. My property prof has what seems to be a unique approach, the S&S CDs are pretty much worthless for that class. Even without my unique prof, there is a lot of useless stuff in the property S&S. The Ks and Crim Law S&S are decent. The Civ Pro S&S is really good and fairly entertaining listening.

Bezerkley

New

Post by Bezerkley » Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 am

I have used 3 of the Sum and Substance CD series.

Con Law was the worst of the 3. It was a good overview but because of the nature of the subject it is hard to really prepare you for an exam through a lecture series.

Civ Pro and Evidence were both outstanding. I could have skipped every class, listened to those CDs and done fairly well (as well as I typically do) on the exams.

Dacos

New

Post by Dacos » Wed May 06, 2009 2:53 pm

bump.

I'm interested in this "Law School Legends" audio that I've been hearing about lately. Has anyone here used it or know someone that has? Was it worth it?

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 am

Is there anything else out there that is decent besides TLS and S/S? I ask not because I think lots of audio lectures is going to replace case books etc, but because I am contemplating commuting 1.5 hrs each way (3 round trip) next year (1L) and that's a lot of time to spend listening to NPR....

It seems like the S/S ones are about 5 hours....which would be maybe 4 days of commuting...if I listened to it twice....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 am

That's an insane commute for law school. Especially come exam time or whenever you have a memo due you're going to want to kill yourself.

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 pm

awesomepossum wrote:That's an insane commute for law school. Especially come exam time or whenever you have a memo due you're going to want to kill yourself.
Well, I have people I can stay with when necessary (i.e. finals, etc), but on a long-term basis it's gonna be the commuting. So, any former commuters have any audio suggestions??

laxgirl37

New

Post by laxgirl37 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:51 pm

S&S Crim Law is excellent, but the K is only fair (the professor's voice is quite terrible). TLS civ pro kinda made me want to drive into incoming traffic- i've never heard anyone quite so excited about the subject as that professor!

Publius39

New

Post by Publius39 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 pm

laxgirl37 wrote:S&S Crim Law is excellent, but the K is only fair (the professor's voice is quite terrible). TLS civ pro kinda made me want to drive into incoming traffic- i've never heard anyone quite so excited about the subject as that professor!
Try S&S Civ Pro. Arthur Miller teaches it at Harvard and his examples are very good. It's still a little difficult to understand, but he makes things managable.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 pm

I've used many of them (hint- they are available for free through your law library's interlibrary loan program).

Good:
Finz on Torts
Cheh on Con Law (if you are in a class focusing on Con Rights)
Epstein on Contracts
Cox on Corporations
Berring Legal Reserach(Should listen to day 1 of law school)

Just OK:
Burr on Int. Law
Jurgensmeyer on Property (Property is just hard to explain...)
Dressler on Criminal Law
Miller on Civ Pro

None are bad. All will help. Ideal for long commutes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”