Study Groups - Benefits and Disadvantages Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

How do you feel about study groups?

Total votes: 0

thesouthside

New

Study Groups - Benefits and Disadvantages

Post by thesouthside » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 am

To my understanding 1L study groups typically split up courses among its members who are then responsible for making a 'shared' outline for that course. The group also meets on a weekly basis to discuss what is being taught in class. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This sounds like a potentially bad idea. Although meeting up to discuss current course work might be beneficial it seems like relying on a person you barely know to make an outline can easily lead to a disaster.

On the other hand, if one was to participate in a study group and still come up with their own outlines it would probably benefit seeing other outlines in case there is something you left out. I might be missing the point - that it is too difficult to make good study guides for all of your classes... but this sounds like a slacker-type attitude. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

I have never been one to study in groups during undergrad. Whenever I would attend a study session people would usually end up wasting most of the time talking about unrelated issues (obviously this varies group to group). On the other hand, I feel reteaching material you have recently learned is an excellent way to solidify concepts in your mind.

I have been told that people typically attempt to assemble a study group within the first week. I would like to understand both the benefits and disadvantages before I make my decision.

thesouthside

New

Re: Study Groups - Benefits and Disadvantages

Post by thesouthside » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 am

What do I need to say to get some responses?

"Truth be told!".....?

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I'm an 0L so I'm not sure but my experience with study groups in UG is they can be useful or no depending on the group. Some groups can be really helpful if you stay on point and help talk through confusions together, but it is really easy to get off topic. Also, study groups probably help the people who are struggling the most more than they help people who know what is going on. If you understand the information it might not be worth your time to sit around answering other people's questions. Some people say teaching is a great way to learn though... so I'm not sure.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 pm

DO NOT split up and make "shared" outlines, this isn't the Paper Chase. Make your own shit OR get an outline from a 2L or 3L would make good grades and use that outline to BUILD your own. The whole point of an outline is not the finished product but rather learning as your compile the outline. Then just reviewing.

Study groups are (in my own opinion) ok for reviewing exams, throwing around hypos, shit like that. I tend to find them burdensome and distracting. I have a few folks that I will meet up with or call but typically I study alone.

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Here is my experience: I initially disliked the idea of study groups because I didn't trust people. Then I realized they can be valuable, however, I went through a variety of people : the one who never understands anything or needs it consistently brought down, the one who rides off of what you say, the one who spends a large portion of the time joking and looking up videos, etc. The difficulty with study groups is what you want out of it and what you need out of it. I generally did most everything on my own and used other people to supplement what I was unclear on. Picking a group is the hardest part because you have to draw lines between "friends" and "study group". So weigh the pro's and con's for yourself.
Sorry if this just seems like a stream of consciousness .

Here is what you will want to do to make it work: find people who want similiar levels of success, who will spend about the same amount of time as you to furthering the group, cautious on how many people, and be up front with people don't be shady. In addition to study groups, help those who help you or you would seek assistance from.

I am very against the 'shared outline' idea because each person does not learn the material in the same manner. (I.E. I may need a stronger emphasis on Future Interests while you may find Concurrent ownerships to be troubling.) Supplement your own from books and others, but be cautious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Grad_Student wrote:DO NOT split up and make "shared" outlines, this isn't the Paper Chase. Make your own shit OR get an outline from a 2L or 3L would make good grades and use that outline to BUILD your own. The whole point of an outline is not the finished product but rather learning as your compile the outline. Then just reviewing.

Study groups are (in my own opinion) ok for reviewing exams, throwing around hypos, shit like that. I tend to find them burdensome and distracting. I have a few folks that I will meet up with or call but typically I study alone.
+1

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:22 pm

hahaha the people that answered: 4 law students and 21 0Ls.

I don't do study groups. I'm a person that studies better on my own. Sometimes I would sit and study with another person but we wouldn't be doing it together and we might even be on different classes. But I don't really see how study groups help me. I tried to do two study groups around finals time last semester. The first was just a waste, I didn't really learn anything. The second was for Civ Pro with just one good friend, but all we did was make sure that we had all the rules on our sheet so it took like an hour. But that was a pure outline dump test, where you just memorize everything and put everything down for every question.

There are people at my school that do study groups and I guess they did ok because they are doing it again. I think it heavily depends on what works best for you. Don't think that you have to be in a study group because everyone else is. It might end up wasting your time and taking away from precious study time.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:29 pm

All depends on the individual, and the other people in the study group.

I find doing practice exams/E&Es in a study group to be invaluable. I find doing shared outlines to be an awful idea; however, sharing your full outlines among your study group can serve to make you all do better.

My study group this semester is comprised of 5 people in the top 5% of the class, so I get invaluable insight from my group. A great many study groups turn in to gossip/bs sessions, though, and those are a waste of time. Also, if you find that you're consistently the one explaining the material to your group, then you're probably not in the right group, UNLESS you find that explaining everything to others leads to a better understanding yourself.

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Grad_Student wrote:DO NOT split up and make "shared" outlines, this isn't the Paper Chase. Make your own shit OR get an outline from a 2L or 3L would make good grades and use that outline to BUILD your own. The whole point of an outline is not the finished product but rather learning as your compile the outline. Then just reviewing.

+2

Make your own stuff, do exams yourself, then go over the exams with others. Revise your outline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:43 pm

So basically ITT, all current law students don't support study groups :mrgreen:

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Grad_Student wrote:So basically ITT, all current law students don't support study groups :mrgreen:
no...

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:So basically ITT, all current law students don't support study groups :mrgreen:
no...
In the words of a great TLS poster, meh

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 pm

I would say only use study groups to go over a test and that's it. Anything more and it seems to be a waste of time.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm

I've found study groups most helpful for analyzing hypos and old exams. Having people to argue with is a nice plus over doing this sort of studying alone.

They are also helpful when it comes to reviewing difficult to understand material, like the Rule Against Perpetuities, or something. I've found that while no one may have a great grasp on something coming in, usually we can work together to figure it out by the end. Being able to "talk it out" helps a lot when it comes to some of the more arcane rules and cases and such.

Antop

New

Post by Antop » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:24 pm

spanktheduck wrote:I would say only use study groups to go over a test and that's it. Anything more and it seems to be a waste of time.
Agreed. At one point I got angry when I felt like I was studying with people who didn't know it as well as I did or put as much time into their outline. I felt like I was giving more than getting and when I got home I was mad at myself for wasting those hours.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:33 pm

I did no study groups and killed it, but I've always worked alone. But I'd also note that there was a study group of 4 people who all finished right near the top in our section first semester, so that can certainly work for some people. Do whatever has worked for you your whole life and what you feel comfortable with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”