Civil Procedure Supp other than Glannon? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Arrow

Bronze

Civil Procedure Supp other than Glannon?

Post by Arrow » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Those rules are the most confusing things ever. Any other good supplements (other than Glannon's E&E since I already looked through it)? I can search but there's just way too topics when I tried.

Thanks all.

upgrade

Bronze

Re: Civil Procedure Supp other than Glannon?

Post by upgrade » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 pm

I checked the Understanding Civil Procedure book infrequently and it helped somewhat, but the E&E was easier to read. I also used the Arthur Miller's Sum and Substance CD set, which was the best of all the CDs I have listened to so far. If I was really confused or wanted a better understanding I would consult the couple pages pertaining to the rule or concept in West's Civ Pro Hornbook.

I have a book called Pretrial, which was recommended here, for my second semester Civ Pro class that focuses on discovery forward.

What are you having problems with in Civil Procedure that the E&E isn't addressing?

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 pm

I guess I am looking for more problems to work. The E&E is great, but everyone's reading it already so I want more O.o, and some parts are still epically tricky.

SteelersandGators

New

Post by SteelersandGators » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 pm

The Glannon Guide has similar information as Glannon's E&E, but the problems are multiple choice. So if you're just looking for more problems, then I would check that out. And the multiple choice questions are helpful because he goes A through D and describes why each incorrect choice is wrong.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Arrow wrote:Those rules are the most confusing things ever. Any other good supplements (other than Glannon's E&E since I already looked through it)? I can search but there's just way too topics when I tried.

Thanks all.
Emanuel's is pretty good in terms of just telling you what you need to know but it is really dry reading (i.e. boring), and the author is kind of an asshole and just throws in random 1 page case briefs in random places. If you just skip over the case briefs and skim through the bolded stuff you can extract out what you need to know. IMO, Barbri is still the best for FRCP cuz it cuts the bullshit and just tells you the rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DelDad

Bronze

Post by DelDad » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:51 am

Law in a Flash flash card were pretty good for civpro if you are just looking for problems to work through.

melbelle

New

Post by melbelle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Arrow wrote:I guess I am looking for more problems to work. The E&E is great, but everyone's reading it already so I want more O.o, and some parts are still epically tricky.
I liked the Acing Civ Pro book. It is short, with a quick summary of concepts and 1-2 problems at the end of each. I also liked Siegel's essay and multiple choice questions for Civ Pro.

Harry Pothead

Post by Harry Pothead » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:09 pm

I'll also vouch for Understanding Civ Pro.

simplyelle

New

Post by simplyelle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm

You absolutely need to get Freer's supp for Civ Pro. Saved my life last semester. Way better than Glannon's IMO. "Introduction to Civil Procedure" by Richard Freer. There are also tapes you can listen to in addition to the hornbook.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ks2pa

New

Post by ks2pa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:53 pm

simplyelle wrote:You absolutely need to get Freer's supp for Civ Pro. Saved my life last semester. Way better than Glannon's IMO. "Introduction to Civil Procedure" by Richard Freer. There are also tapes you can listen to in addition to the hornbook.
This is an excellent supplement.
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Civi ... 91&sr=8-22

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for all your recommendations, didn't realize there were so many good books out there. I'll flip through them this week.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Glannon, Glannon, Glannon. If you get bored of reading E&E twice, flip through the guide. I never read/listened in civpro, just hung out with glannon/an old outline and it was my best class

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:Glannon, Glannon, Glannon. If you get bored of reading E&E twice, flip through the guide. I never read/listened in civpro, just hung out with glannon/an old outline and it was my best class
the Gunner requires other supps that his classmates aren't using, man
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

which casebook are you using?

i found that doing the problems in the book helped me understand everything. learn the cases, work the problems, and focus on sorting through the nonsense and refining your understanding of the material. don't overcomplicate things.

i didn't use a single supplement, and civ pro was A-okay.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

underdawg wrote:
BradyToMoss wrote:Glannon, Glannon, Glannon. If you get bored of reading E&E twice, flip through the guide. I never read/listened in civpro, just hung out with glannon/an old outline and it was my best class
the Gunner requires other supps that his classmates aren't using, man
Yea I forgot it was Arrow I was dealing with for a second.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:51 pm

We have Yeazel, but yeah thanks for understanding. :oops:

aguacaliente

New

Post by aguacaliente » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 am

I didn't mean to seem not understanding?

I just think that too many supplements can complicate things sometimes. If you have or can get an outline from upperclassmen who did well in Civ Pro, that could really help as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SeanSatori

New

Post by SeanSatori » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:18 am

I personally have never understood how people have issues with procedural classes like CivPro, compared to free-form substantive classes like Torts. Being in law school means learning rules. In Civil Procedure, you've got a book of . . . RULES. Black letter, right there in front of you, and they really aren't tricky. Yeah, personal jurisdiction is kind of a trip, but blame the Supreme Court for that. Even Asahi can be boiled down to black letter principles.

That being said, Freer's Introduction to Civil Procedure is definitely the best hornbook out there. If E&E by Glannon isn't doing it, Freer will fill in the blanks in spades (and take 35 pages doing it in painstaking, excruciating, but solid detail).

But better yet, why not just analyze the FRCP the way they are divided up in the table of contents. You have jurisdiction, venue, long-arm statutes, then you have introductory guidance rules for how you file documents in a court, your joinder rules for parties, your discovery rules, your jury/trial/dispositive motions rules, and your post-trial rules. There's all the major subject headings in your outline. From there, start filling in the details. When you're doing hypos, pretend you are trying a case. Because that's what these rules are trying to teach you.

anyglen

New

Post by anyglen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:24 am

I'd recommend Issacharoff's book in Concepts and Insights. It's not a replacement for a Glannon or Emanuel-type book, in that its more big-picture and places less emphasis on the rules, but if you're the kind of person that needs to know what the forest looks like, in addition to the trees, it provides a useful framework.

thepounders

New

Post by thepounders » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:25 am

I found this outline and set of class notes helpful for my class, we had the Yeazel casebook : http://lawschool.mikeshecket.com/civpro/

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 pm

http://www.macabelegal.com/yeazell.html Briefs most of the cases in that book pretty well.
melbelle wrote:I liked the Acing Civ Pro book. It is short, with a quick summary of concepts and 1-2 problems at the end of each. I also liked Siegel's essay and multiple choice questions for Civ Pro.
I used Acing Civ Pro. It doesn't have anything on Class Actions, but sets you up with questions to guide your outline. If This then A If that then B.

I had that both Glannon's and the Kaplan book. I really didn't buy supplements for other classes, and didn't realize I had bought 4 over a couple week span until I had them all. I did well in the class.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:27 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”