anyone commuting 1hr+ to law school? How is that going? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
littleboyblue

Bronze

anyone commuting 1hr+ to law school? How is that going?

Post by littleboyblue » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:13 pm

will need to commute about an hour if i actually go next yr b/c i can't move right now. thinking if this is a good or bad idea.

Corsair

Gold

Re: anyone commuting 1hr+ to law school? How is that going?

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:19 pm

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:23 pm

You'll make it work. Don't listen to this peon

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:46 pm

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Corsair wrote:
ChrisMike624 wrote:You'll make it work. Don't listen to this peon
Don't make me peon you.
Yeah, everyone should live in a tiny ass dorm room at school, THEY do the best...

Please, I'll enjoy commuting from my beautiful house located within a private golf course community...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusAbstinendi

New

Post by JusAbstinendi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:48 pm

ChrisMike624 wrote:
Corsair wrote:
ChrisMike624 wrote:You'll make it work. Don't listen to this peon
Don't make me peon you.
Yeah, everyone should live in a tiny ass dorm room at school, THEY do the best...

Please, I'll enjoy commuting from my beautiful house located within a private golf course community...
Carl? Carl SPACKLER?! Please do your "Cinderella Story" routine!

paisley

New

Post by paisley » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:23 pm

what if instead of doing that i told you about the time i caddied for the dalai lama?

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:26 pm

littleboyblue wrote:will need to commute about an hour if i actually go next yr b/c i can't move right now. thinking if this is a good or bad idea.
There is someone in my section who commutes 3 hours each day (round trip). She's doing fine and staying on top of things.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 pm

littleboyblue wrote:will need to commute about an hour if i actually go next yr b/c i can't move right now. thinking if this is a good or bad idea.
It's definitely going to be a liability and not an asset. But, it can be done. This guy claims to have done it, and then some:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=36635

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eremite

New

Post by Eremite » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:34 am

There is someone in my section who commutes 3 hours each day (round trip).
That could be me, except I am a he. Worked just fine for me; I finished my first year in the top five percent.

I read Contracts on the bus. During the second semester, I slept on the bus. I recommend the reading over the sleeping, as far as studying is concerned.

unlawfool2010

New

Post by unlawfool2010 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 am

I am a 2L and commuting 2 hours each way (4 hours total). It is difficult because I can't take some of the classes that I want, but besides that, it seems to be working okay. I am forced to wake up early to catch the bart/bus, but I can read on the bus. It's not that bad, but we'll see in a month or two though.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:25 am

I posted this in another thread

I've pretty much decided I'm living within walking distance of my work. Even a short commute is probably something around 6 or 7 hours of time per week (travel distance + getting gas + occasional traffic, etc) and $400/mo (gas, maintenance, wear & tear, depreciation). If I put half that time in the office and the amount of money I'm saving from the commute into it- I'll probably have a nicer apartment/loft/condo/townhouse/whatever with more time and far less stress (ugh, fuck the morning commute). Plus I
can run home and power nap for lunch. Booya!

think of all the stupid stuff you will waste money on to get you some extra time. This, at worst, will cost you $250 more a month if your apartment is really downtown (unless you're in a city like manhattan). Seems like a great way to save 40-45 hours a month- being very conservative (30 min commute, no weekends-5/7 days, no bad traffic or weather days, no parking problems, no getting gas, no dropping the car off for service, etc). In the end it works out to less than $5/hr. Just work an extra 5 hours a month, make up the $250 and have 40 hours to spare. It's like getting a whole week of vacation every month :)

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 am

I commute a little over an hour each way to school by train into Boston. I did it last year as a 1L and I am doing it again this year as a 2L.

There are pro's and cons to this situation...

The Pros

1. It gives me an hour before classes and an hour at the end of the day where I can unwind and get away from Law school. If you are not careful law school can become consuming and might take over your life (sometimes you just need a break)

2. Commuting has allowed me to stay in touch with my non law school friends (again see #1)

3. Because I am taking a train I have time if I want on the train to do some school reading (I prefer not to but I can brush up a bit on the cases, etc...)

4. Commuting gives my day some structure, because I need to plan when I arrive and when I go home I cannot waste time while at school. This gives me the structure I need to get work done in an efficient manner.

The cons

1. Requires a lot of planning. I need to plan my days out for the entire week (because of train schedule) but even if I was driving I would need to plan for traffic and delays in commuting.

2. Availability of after school activities. Because I commute I have discovered that I miss out on a lot of talks, groups, and fun social activities (going to the bar with law school friends to have a drink and watch the sox)

3. Early morning classes. This semester I am taking a Basic Federal Income Tax class at 8:15 am. Because I need to commute I must wake up at 5:30am to get to this class on time. My classmates who live in Boston do not need to wake up until 7am

In summation, I think commuting is a good idea if you can pull it off. It has saved me money, and allowed me to keep in touch with my old friends. THis has provided a needed escape from the all consuming top-law-schools.com.

I hope I helped a bit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MMaldonado

New

Post by MMaldonado » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

Depending on where you live, it could be a helluva lot cheaper than riding one's go-mobile to class everyday. From personal experience in DC, public transportation runs smoothly enough that a car isn't a necessity. If you can train yourself to wake up early, then the only disadvantages might be problematic evening classes and missing out on beer & pretzels time with fellow students (which might not be a bad thing if they're jerkwads).

I'll have to do this if I can start next year.

bobjr

New

Post by bobjr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:00 pm

having a commute can actually motivate you to get your work down as soon as classes end. my commute isn't an hour, its maybe 40 minutes to get across the city. i am usually at school from 9:30 to around 6pm or so, which isn't too bad, especially since by the time i get home i have no more work to do and can just chill

voltron

New

Post by voltron » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm

It depends on where you live. If you have to drive it may become an issue. When I lived in NYC mass transportation was readily available so I would read on the subway, which was notbad at all. In AZ where I am now, it would be difficult to do much having ttravel so much. thats two lost hours, since mass transportation is not great in AZ

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:36 pm

voltron wrote:
It depends on where you live. If you have to drive it may become an issue. When I lived in NYC mass transportation was readily available so I would read on the subway, which was notbad at all. In AZ where I am now, it would be difficult to do much having ttravel so much. thats two lost hours, since mass transportation is not great in AZ
i would most likely have to drive since i live in a suburb of the city which the schools i am applying to are located.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm commuting a little under an hour each way. It sucks WRT planning (when there are club meetings at inopportune times, it throws me for a loop), but it's fine most of the time, provided you can read on the train.

yalie10

New

Post by yalie10 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:41 pm

I had a 40 minute or so commute to school last year. I found there were advantages and disadvantages to this setup. In addition to the cost savings, I found that I was induced to focus more on my work because of the effort required to take part in law school events or socializing. I spent most of my first semester holed up reading and briefing cases. If you're primary interest is in doing well, living far from school may actually help you, assuming you don't have other obligations that require you to travel frequently. However, I lived 3 blocks from a metro. I wouldn't have wanted to drive every day.

Currently, I'm living 4 blocks from campus. I chose to do this because I wanted to take part in the law school and University community. There are numerous on-campus events, speakers, lectures etc. that I wanted to be able to attend without the difficulty of a long commute. In addition, New Haven housing is cheap so I was able to get an affordable studio very close to campus. At GMU, the law school was at a satellite campus, and thus there was no community. It was just a building, so I felt little reason to be close.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”