Internship at USPS Legal Department

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PJ14

New

Internship at USPS Legal Department

Postby PJ14 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what insights people have about interning at the US postal service legal department in NYC?

I am a 2L and was looking to do some part time law clerk experience. I already interned this summer at a Fed. Magistrate Judge, so I didn't want to clerk a another fed. judge. It is obviously not as prestigious as interning at the SEC or US attorney's office, but it may provide good experience and enhance my resume.

Any thoughts would be helpful, Thanks.

Bingo_Bongo

Bronze

Re: Internship at USPS Legal Department

Postby Bingo_Bongo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm

I actually did a stint with one of their California offices while I was in law school (several years back, so things might have changed).

100% of their job is employment law related AND before administrative agencies like the EEOC & OSHA. Anything that makes it into real court is taken away from them and handled by the US Attorney's Office. So, it really is a niche practice. From my experience, the bread & butter is handling really frivolous discrimination claims before the EEOC, that generally aren't worth more than $1,000 or so. At my office, there was one attorney who handled all the OSHA and safety stuff. Sometimes they'll do arbitration with disgruntled employees. Sometimes they'll do training sessions with management.

When I was an intern there, I drafted several summary judgement motions for frivolous discrimination claims before the EEOC. I also sat in on a few EEOC administrative hearings (which generally take place over the phone). They also took us on a tour of the local mail processing facility, which was pretty cool. And, that was about it.

If you're looking at getting into employment law, it could be helpful, since it gives you insight into the EEOC and applicable federal employment laws. I've also seen several of attorneys who used to work there jump to the US Attorney's Office, so there's that, too.

PJ14

New

Re: Internship at USPS Legal Department

Postby PJ14 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks for that information!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students?