Am I screwed for Law Review? Possible to get on even if not perfect? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GxGw1994

New

Am I screwed for Law Review? Possible to get on even if not perfect?

Post by GxGw1994 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Are you screwed for getting on Law Review if your essay isn't perfect? Does having a couple of footnote mistakes practically ruin your chances? I'm confident in everything else.

cavalier1138

Re: Am I screwed for Law Review? Possible to get on even if not perfect?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Assuming you're at a school and in a situation where you're only going to be able to write on (i.e. grades or diversity factors won't have an impact), no one will be able to tell you anything useful. Your write-on entry quality is judged entirely in relation to all the other submissions. There is no objective threshold for determining when an entry qualifies for law review.

You submitted, so it's out of your hands. Literally nothing you do between now and finding out results can be helpful. So refocus your energy on your summer job, or a hobby, or nothing at all. But there's no point in trying to predict the outcome of the write-on competition.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold

Re: Am I screwed for Law Review? Possible to get on even if not perfect?

Post by albanach » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:41 pm

GxGw1994 wrote:Are you screwed for getting on Law Review if your essay isn't perfect? Does having a couple of footnote mistakes practically ruin your chances? I'm confident in everything else.
What would make you think law review at each of over 100 law schools would have similar write-on standards?

What school (or approximately what school rank) do you attend? How many write-on places are there? Try providing the pertinent information - otherwise no one can help.

As Cav says, you should relax as there's nothing you can do now. I'd say if grading on is an option, you should focus on grades, but that's superfluous as you should be focused on grades regardless of law review, at least up until you have a secure job offer in hand.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”