Anyone else hate 85% of law students Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sacagawea

New

Anyone else hate 85% of law students

Post by sacagawea » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm

loved the LSAT and love law school (teachers, staff, material), love most things in life that aren’t law students

immature, poorly socially developed, judgmental, uptight, insecure, obnoxious

what I was expecting: more sophistication, class, diversity, culture, and elegance than an avg college student

nixy

Gold

Re: Anyone else hate 85% of law students

Post by nixy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Culture and elegance??

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm

I concur good chap! These law students are nothing more than under developed, uncouth, pollywogs! If only they would go to a museum or symphony more often.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:03 pm

My personal favorites are the ones that pretentiously bitch about their classmates in an anonymous online forum.

And some general advice for life: If everyone you try to build friendships/relationships with turns out to be immature, judgmental, obnoxious, etc., you might want to look at the common denominator in all those relationships.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:My personal favorites are the ones that pretentiously bitch about their classmates in an anonymous online forum.

And some general advice for life: If everyone you try to build friendships/relationships with turns out to be immature, judgmental, obnoxious, etc., you might want to look at the common denominator in all those relationships.
Lol this ^. I would say I liked 85% of my classmates and I’m still good friends with like 8-10 of them now, three years after graduating.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 pm

I was a non-traditional student, so I didn't hang out too much with classmates, but I pretty much liked them all. They were smart, talented,creative and generally nice folk to spend your day with. Classmates cared about each other and went out their way to support each other. Everyone wanted everyone else to succeed.

UVA has a reputation for collegiality that I found to be true, so it's certainly possible that it's a school by school thing.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Sorry if not everyone prefers mimosas to beer and doesn't know four languages from summer in Paris and hongkong. I think some humbleness would help.

sacagawea

New

Post by sacagawea » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:My personal favorites are the ones that pretentiously bitch about their classmates in an anonymous online forum.

it was just within law school that i experience this. all my friends have been made outside ls for this reason. med students, college kids, law school staff, professors, etc.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

No but seriously, why did you have such expectations of law students?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sacagawea

New

Post by sacagawea » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:I concur good chap! These law students are nothing more than under developed, uncouth, pollywogs! If only they would go to a museum or symphony more often.
scurvy scullions!

sacagawea

New

Post by sacagawea » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 pm

nixy wrote:No but seriously, why did you have such expectations of law students?
it won't surprise you that i have no good answer

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Everyone at my school chilled out after 1L. Anxiety and stress can bring out the worst in people. Some of the most abnoxious 1L students are now my closest 3L friends.

hagoomata

New

Post by hagoomata » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:17 am

Yeah I’m as classless and inelegant (whatever that means) as they come and I also hate 85% of law students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BeastfromtheEast

New

Post by BeastfromtheEast » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 am

In my experience, some of the best students can come off as immature or uncouth. Those people understand that one of the keys to success in law school is relaxing and not constantly trying to be the smartest person in the room. Generally, smart people don't feel the need to constantly remind others how smart they are.

Watch out who label as lacking sophistication - those people may turn out to be a judge or managing partner one day.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 pm

sacagawea wrote:

it was just within law school that i experience this. all my friends have been made outside ls for this reason. med students, college kids, law school staff, professors, etc.
So in your own words, you wanted to hang out with folks with "more sophistication, class, diversity, culture, and elegance" than college students, so your solution was to hang out with... college students?

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Tue May 07, 2019 11:40 pm

I'm actually surprised that every single person in my section is incredibly nice and friendly, with maybe one exception, and he comes off more as socially unaware than purposefully rude. I expected far worse from years of reading TLS.

I do hear nightmare stories about a different section where everyone seems to hate each other and themselves which leads me to wonder if they somehow sorted us on personality.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed May 08, 2019 11:25 am

99%. Nasty, petty people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu May 09, 2019 2:34 am

sacagawea wrote:loved the LSAT and love law school (teachers, staff, material), love most things in life that aren’t law students

what I was expecting: more sophistication, class, diversity, culture, and elegance than an avg college student
For some perspective, your peers and law students like your peers will one day be your partners, colleagues, clients, opposing counsel, judges, etc., not to mention your references, source of business, connect you with job opportunity and referrals.

My advice is to start finding something you find relatable and tolerable and sow these future seeds now. Sure law students can be obnoxious, but start getting over that, because they can one day be a major source of $$ and connections.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu May 09, 2019 2:38 am

Guchster wrote:
sacagawea wrote:loved the LSAT and love law school (teachers, staff, material), love most things in life that aren’t law students

For some perspective, your peers and law students like your peers will one day be your partners, colleagues, clients, opposing counsel, judges, etc., not to mention your references, source of business, connect you with job opportunity and referrals.

My advice is to start finding something you find relatable and tolerable and sow these future seeds now. Sure law students can be obnoxious, but start getting over that, because they can one day be a major source of $$ and connections.
Also FYI, I was cold to a lot of my classmates in law school, and if I could go back, would’ve changed that. I’ve gotten business from people I connected with and got an in house position through someone and wished I would’ve been more intentional. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 so passing that along to you.

CommonLawTort

New

Post by CommonLawTort » Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 pm

100% agree (at least for CCN students).

I find they are obsessed with vault and prestige. Those who are satisfied with the firm they're going to will find any way to brag about it; those who didn't necessarily get the firm they wanted will let you know that it isn't ranked high enough on Vault for their liking which comes off as very insulting to those who may have missed out on an elite firm. They will also repeat over and over how little they try in school and yet manage to do well. Braggers like these are insecure.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 pm

I think this is a school-specific issue. Some schools just seem to be fucked up. Before I went to LS I talked to an attorney who graduated from Baylor, and she said it was a snake pit. This has been repeated online by others. Maybe some of the T14 schools are similar, where you get people who are super smart but have no social skills.

My school was great. We had a couple of jerks, but even then you could just ignore them. Virtually everyone was either supportive, or just doing their own thing and not bothering anyone else. FWIW, the Baylor alum told me that she thought the bar in the state (only one law school) was more professional and civil than other states she had worked in, so I think that might also be a factor, as a lot of the professors were local.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:21 pm

RioGrandeLaw wrote:I think this is a school-specific issue. Some schools just seem to be fucked up. Before I went to LS I talked to an attorney who graduated from Baylor, and she said it was a snake pit. This has been repeated online by others. Maybe some of the T14 schools are similar, where you get people who are super smart but have no social skills.

My school was great. We had a couple of jerks, but even then you could just ignore them. Virtually everyone was either supportive, or just doing their own thing and not bothering anyone else. FWIW, the Baylor alum told me that she thought the bar in the state (only one law school) was more professional and civil than other states she had worked in, so I think that might also be a factor, as a lot of the professors were local.
Baylor isn't the only law school in the state?

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 am

Wubbles wrote: Baylor isn't the only law school in the state?
She went to Baylor, but was practicing in a different state, which is where I went to school.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am

sacagawea wrote: what I was expecting: more sophistication, class, diversity, culture, and elegance than an avg college student
LOL

I would've hated you in law school. I was in the evening program, so most of my classmates had been in the real world prior to law school. That experience scrubbed off most of the rough edges and made most of them genuinely enjoyable to be around. However, I still interacted with plenty of pretentious, self-important, anal-retentive, condescending, overbearing, naive, ethically and emotionally defective law students (and profs, and lawyers), and I didn't and don't really enjoy being around them. I walked out of law school with less respect for lawyers than I had when I walked in because of the number of downright horrible people I met there. There are bad people in every profession, but something about law draws them in like moths to a flame.

On the other hand, I've met plenty of genuine, nice, down-to-earth lawyers who would gladly go dove hunting with me and settle down afterward with a cigar to talk about the influence of Aquinas' writings on the structure of the US government. Or play a round of golf. Or go to happy hour. Or take our kids to a local park for a play date. If you're expecting champagne and caviar, you'll be disappointed. If you expect regular people, you'll find quite a few.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:On the other hand, I've met plenty of genuine, nice, down-to-earth lawyers who would gladly go dove hunting with me and settle down afterward with a cigar to talk about the influence of Aquinas' writings on the structure of the US government.
To be fair, some would find the idea of discussing Medieval philosophy over cigars to be rather pretentious and self-important. :P I for one would not be able to keep up!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”